Geting your name out at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old August 10th, 2006, 08:51 AM   #1
Major Player

Geting your name out

How did you guys start picking up your first clients before you had a great wedding demo reel, etc?
Kevin James is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 10th, 2006, 09:00 AM   #2
Regular Crew

Word of mouth.

Honestly - I'd say within 2 months with my XL2, people were asking to hire me because of the camera, not the operator+skills. It's amazing what kind of opportunities I got right away just from having the camera.

On the other hand, see if there is a Wedding Guide for your state - there more than likely is one. Find out when they republish it each year, and try to be one of the first ones to get your name in it to advertise. Don't list your price; have the client call you so you can change your rates. Workly cheaply for your first couple of gigs, than price yourself competitively. Most people want to see your work, so stay cheap at first so you can gain that experience - but don't under-sell yourself.
Old August 10th, 2006, 09:11 AM   #3
New Boot

I did a few weddings really cheap for people I knew and now I am getting a ton of referals. I also would give my info to photogs and dj's. You would be supprised but I am actualling getting good referals from dj's.
Nicholas Heuer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 10th, 2006, 09:14 AM   #4
Major Player

Thanks for the quick replies. You are pretty much telling me what I hoped to hear, as this was the path I had chosen. Thanks!

Anyone had any luck leaving cards at bridal galleries?
Old August 10th, 2006, 09:44 AM   #5
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin James
Anyone had any luck leaving cards at bridal galleries?
Hey Kevin,
I've had good success of leaving my cards at bridal galleries. There are always the few planning an event that don't book a videographer from the getgo
Usually they book within 1 week to 2months before their event. These type of people are everywhere. If you get 2 jobs by doing this, I'd say it's worth it. This year alone I've gotten 6 this way from May till now.
Monday Isa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 10th, 2006, 10:11 AM   #6
Inner Circle

Good advice and I'll add, make 100% sure you have business cards with you EVERYWHERE you go and make sure you talk to EVERYONE you meet and let them know what you do and give them a card at least. Network with a couple of photogs and DJs as well as banquet facilities/caterers.
People won't hire you if they don't know you exsist.

Don
Don Bloom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 10th, 2006, 10:49 AM   #7
Major Player

Thanks guys, I was fortunate to find a database of planners, dj's, etc in the area and sent out a ton of personalized emails. I'll follow up as needed to keep me in the minds.....without being a pest ;)
Old August 10th, 2006, 11:17 AM   #8
Capt. Quirk

There are also the Guerilla style tactics we used at SurfGuru.com. We would hit all types of events like Expos in full force- all of us in the official logo button down shirts, and passing out business cards to everyone. We weren't tied down to a booth, and could spend more time talking to people for free.

Check out a few bridal shows in your area, leave cards everywhere.
Old August 10th, 2006, 02:34 PM   #9
Inner Circle

What Keith and other said...........but be aware that some bridal shops won't allow you to put out cards or if they do, they'll charge you some rediculous amount of money.
Old August 11th, 2006, 10:17 AM   #10
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith Forman
There are also the Guerilla style tactics we used at SurfGuru.com. We would hit all types of events like Expos in full force- all of us in the official logo button down shirts, and passing out business cards to everyone. We weren't tied down to a booth, and could spend more time talking to people for free.
I REALLY like Keith's idea.

Another option/method is to "seed" wedding discussion forums with your business name. You can find online forums where prospective brides/parents even grooms look for advice. And you don't have to "advertise" per se...just include a post something like this: "I know clients of XYZ company were satisfied with their videographer. You can contact them at 123-456-7890."

Good luck.
Our actions are based on our own experience and knowledge. Thus, no one is ever totally right, nor totally wrong. We simply act from what we "know" to be true, based on that experience and knowledge. Beyond that, we pose questions to others.
Denis Danatzko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 11th, 2006, 10:45 AM   #11
Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denis Danatzko
Another option/method is to "seed" wedding discussion forums with your business name. You can find online forums where prospective brides/parents even grooms look for advice. And you don't have to "advertise" per se...just include a post something like this: "I know clients of XYZ company were satisfied with their videographer. You can contact them at 123-456-7890."

Good luck.
Pretending to be a third party to advertise your own business is deceptive trade practice in my book. I'm sure people do it and I have in fact seen it done in other industries and other forums, but that doesn't make it ethical. I would hope our members wouldn't stoop that low to make a buck.

-gb-
Greg Boston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 11th, 2006, 10:48 AM   #12
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Boston
Pretending to be a third party to advertise your own business is deceptive trade practice in my book. I'm sure people do it and I have in fact seen it done in other industries and other forums, but that doesn't make it ethical. I would hope our members wouldn't stoop that low to make a buck.

-gb-
Would sticking my bumper stickers on my competitions cars be too low. :} Just kidding.
Old August 11th, 2006, 10:52 AM   #13
Capt. Quirk

I feel the same as Greg. It is a rather sleazy tactic. Instead, try a different approach- "I do wedding video production, and would be happy to answer any questions you might have, regarding your big day. Feel free to call or email me at..."

People love free shtuff, even if it is just some answers. Play it straight and honest, and don't be surprised if they ask you to do the shoot. They may not, but you will stand out as a helpful type, somebody they will refer to others.
Old August 11th, 2006, 10:59 AM   #14
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Boston

-gb-

Just another form of viral SPAM, in my opinion. I wasn't going ot take that advice ;)
Old August 11th, 2006, 12:42 PM   #15
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith Forman
I feel the same as Greg. It is a rather sleazy tactic. Instead, try a different approach- "I do wedding video production, and would be happy to answer any questions you might have, regarding your big day. Feel free to call or email me at..."

People love free shtuff, even if it is just some answers. Play it straight and honest, and don't be surprised if they ask you to do the shoot. They may not, but you will stand out as a helpful type, somebody they will refer to others.
That's my approach, and so far it has worked well. I haven't done anything like that in online forums, but in real life I always just try to be helpful and to assist them in preparing for their wedding, whether they utilize my services or not. If I can help someone be more informed about a new situation they are involved in then I feel like I've done something good.
Mike Oveson is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques