Same Day Edit - Feb 12 - Page 3 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old March 29th, 2007, 09:55 PM   #31
Major Player

It's time to quit your day job if you haven't already. You make our industry better through your talent and dedication.

I did my first SDE today and it went beautifully, although it was just one camera. Oh the anxiety! The frustrating part was the groom didn't want me to play the audio because he didn't want to distract the guests!

Jason, I'm assuming you played it from your laptop to a projector. What app did you use to play it?
Old April 7th, 2007, 03:37 PM   #32
Major Player

Really well done...

Did I say really well done? Really. Well done.
Old April 7th, 2007, 09:54 PM   #33
Tourist

Very nice. I edited my own wedding video to that same song back in October. Nice work.
Chris Rodgers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 9th, 2007, 05:54 AM   #34
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Y Wong View Post
Not to bring up a dead horse but that was definately fantastic.

Your 2 shooters (I assume you and a colleague of yours) really took advantage of 2 cams, giving the illlusion of some great & extensive coverage. Your subject framing and editing choices are also excellent.

Coincidentially I was just looking @ filmFx myself these past few days. I may give it a try but I 100% do love magic bullet.

May I ask how long it takes to render that ~4 min highlight video in 1080i HDV?

Many Congrats!
hey Michael. I only shoot SD wide (not HDV). With filmfx on all the clips, a minute clip will render at around 6-8 mins (using a dell xps 1210. 2.0 core 2 with two gigs of ram, 256 vid card).
Jason Magbanua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 9th, 2007, 06:00 AM   #35
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dana Salsbury View Post

Jason, I'm assuming you played it from your laptop to a projector. What app did you use to play it?
Hey Dana. If I have enough time. I burn a DVD in encore. Otherwise, I record onto DV tape using a dinky handycam and playback from there.

On occasion, when time is really running short, I play back from the timeline using the camera as pass through device.

Cheers.
Old April 9th, 2007, 02:48 PM   #36
Regular Crew

Network Password

When I try to view the video I am being asked for a network username and password, why?

Ron
Ron Anderson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 12th, 2007, 10:15 AM   #37
Major Player

Jason,

It sounds like you come to the wedding with the timeline started and mapped out, then pull in clips. How long does it take you to render? I imagine that since you use widescreen SD instead of HD, it would shorten that time significantly. Was any of the footage taken before the wedding day?

I'm curious why you wouldn't play it from the laptop if you didn't have enough time to burn a DVD.
Old April 13th, 2007, 08:12 PM   #38
Major Player

Dana,

There render times are very short. Around 8 to ten minutes for a one song video with filters. All shots in this clip was taken during the day.

Just a personal preference I guess, I trust an rca/cmposite connection more than a vga one.

Cheers.
Old April 13th, 2007, 10:48 PM   #39
Still Motion

Hi Jason,

I posted this a while back but never got a reply. Curious how long you took actually editing this piece and if you had anything laid down before hand, such as the song?
Patrick Moreau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 14th, 2007, 06:36 AM   #40
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick Moreau View Post
Hi Jason,

I posted this a while back but never got a reply. Curious how long you took actually editing this piece and if you had anything laid down before hand, such as the song?

Hi Patrick, didn't meant to not reply. :)

Nothing was laid down prior to the wedding day. The disc of songs was actually given during the bridal prep. Even so, I was familiar with the song structure.

I believe I took around 3-4 hours editing this piece. Not a straight 4 hours, but broken down into segments whenever editing was possible. It was a 4pm ceremony and reception started at around 730p. By the time ceremony was over, I was 2/5 done with the timeline.

Some parts where I get down to editing:
in transit
group picture taking at the church altar (30+ minutes, a big thing for Filipinos)
outdoor portraits before the reception
cocktail hour
dinner.

hope this helps.

Cheers,
Jason
Old April 14th, 2007, 08:35 AM   #41
Major Player

Your a rock star Jason. Thanks for sharing.

I guess the one thing that I'm still wondering about is capturing and knowing from where you want to pull clips. I would think that this would be the biggest timesaver. Do you use Firestores? Do you jot down the timecode when you have a good shot and go straight to those places or just look at the thumbnails on the timeline?
Old April 14th, 2007, 11:20 AM   #42
Trustee

I enjoyed the video, great stuff.

Is this the only clip that will be shown on the day, or do you do the full edit?

How long will your final video last and how long will that take?

I generally put together a 1 to 1.5 hour video, but this will take me about a week to compile.

Vincent Oliver
www.photo-i.co.uk
Vincent Oliver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 14th, 2007, 05:41 PM   #43
Trustee

Just as a footnote to my previous post and indeed others who have posted on this thread.

My intial message saying it is a great video still stands, Jason has put together a superb wedding sequence.

However, I do question the statement that this was put together on the same day. I counted 64 individual shots that make up this 3.50 minute clip, together with a music track. I work quick, but not this quick, in fact I don't know of anyone who could put together such a polished video, from capture to dowloading, sorting and editing in the same day. Yes, I know many guys who can knock together a draft "sneak preview" in a copuple of hours, but not to this standard.

I also question the reason behind putting together a Same Day Edit, surely the day is still in progress, so why would any newly wed couple want to see events that took place a few hours ago, events of their day are still unfolding.

As I said, a nice well shot video, but I get the feeling that this is not the clip that would have been shown on the same day.

Vincent Oliver

Last edited by Vincent Oliver; April 14th, 2007 at 05:45 PM. Reason: spelling check
Vincent Oliver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 14th, 2007, 06:08 PM   #44
Still Motion

If you had experienced showing a well-done same-day edit, you would understand what it is all about. It is a very emotional thing to share and is amazingly well received by the couple and the crowd. Go to a wedding in which a good SDE is shown and your question will sound silly.

The fact that you find it hard to believe that this was put together on the same-day, I think speaks to how well it was done. Jason really did a stellar job on this one. Putting a highlights together in 3-4 hours is not that crazy when your effecient though.
Patrick Moreau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 14th, 2007, 06:22 PM   #45
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick Moreau View Post
If you had experienced showing a well-done same-day edit, you would understand what it is all about. It is a very emotional thing to share and is amazingly well received by the couple and the crowd. Go to a wedding in which a good SDE is shown and your question will sound silly.
I can see the reason for stills photographers showing their proof prints at the reception i.e. try to sell as many prints as possible, but this is not so commonm these days.. Perhaps I am missing an oppertunity to generate a few extra DVD sales by not offering a SDE, but generally I find the people are busy enjoying themselves and I try to capture as much of this as possible. Jason says he spent 3-4 hours editing, I would rather spend this time shooting.

Quote:
The fact that you find it hard to believe that this was put together on the same-day, I think speaks to how well it was done. Jason really did a stellar job on this one. Putting a highlights together in 3-4 hours is not that crazy when your effecient though.
I totally agree with you here, Jason has put together a stunning production - but was the clip we see here the same clip that was shown on the day. I know plenty of guys who can knock up something quickly but not to this standard.

Perhaps Jason could enlighten us here, did you show this 3.50 minute clip or did you show a draft version?
Vincent Oliver is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques