Voice Recorder, Will this model work? - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old May 17th, 2007, 02:23 PM   #16
Regular Crew

Hi Guys
Just to let you know that I have used the Iriver T30 with a small preamp connected to a lapel mic and the sound quality is excellent.

The link below will you show you the type of pre amp used.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/LINE-IN-PREAMP...QQcmdZViewItem

Regards
Wayne
Wayne Greensill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18th, 2007, 12:14 PM   #17
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vito DeFilippo View Post
Do a search on Ebay for:

You can buy it direct for $40 plus shipping. Get the Giant Squid mic and you'll be all set up for less than $100.

If you have the extra money, here's the 1gig version for $30 more:

I bought one from this guy and he shipped it to me quickly in Canada. The iriver works great. You'll be covered for your wedding, and have an mp3 player to boot!

Good luck!
I bought the FP795 from this guy. Good service and the unit captured great audio.
Be aware that you can set the AGC on or off for the recording volume. I had it turned off and got a lot of distortion. You'll need to play around with it to get determine the best sound.
Jim Bucciferro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18th, 2007, 12:55 PM   #18
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bucciferro View Post
Be aware that you can set the AGC on or off for the recording volume. I had it turned off and got a lot of distortion. You'll need to play around with it to get determine the best sound.
Jim,

There is no AGC on these irivers in line-mic/external mic mode. It only applies for voice recording using the internal mic, which is generally NOT what we want to do anyway. If you are getting clipping, reduce the recording volume in the line-in recording volume setting. About 45 is good for Giant Squid lapel mic, for example.
Old May 18th, 2007, 01:16 PM   #19
Regular Crew

Yeah, I had the mic volume pretty high. I'll try 45 next time.
Jim Bucciferro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 25th, 2007, 01:06 PM   #20
New Boot

Olympus DS-30

I tested this voice recorder and I think is very suitable for lapel microphone recording.
It has 50Hz - 19kHz frequency response and for voice recording at the wedding video is more than enough. It is much better choice than wireless.
I had bad experience with wireless - random noises and hissing sound.
And also I can use many lapel mics at different people at the same time without worry of any radio interference and for much less money spent on audio equipment.
From now on I am going to use this setup instead of wireless.
Adam Pelka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 25th, 2007, 06:33 PM   #21
Regular Crew

If wireless systems can be bad, then why do professionals say that they are a must.
Jenna Klingensmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 25th, 2007, 06:52 PM   #22
Trustee

I think most audio professionals would choose wired over wireless. But they would also choose a good wireless over something that can't be monitored.

And with monitoring in mind, there are situations where a wired or boomed mic won't be practical. Then you use wireless.
Old May 26th, 2007, 08:50 AM   #23
New Boot

Digital voice recorder for audio recording

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenna Klingensmith View Post
If wireless systems can be bad, then why do professionals say that they are a must.
The real pros use a very expenisive wireless system ( $700 and up)
And if the ability to monitor the recorded sound is very important than good wireless sytem is a must.
But for wedding videographers with limited budget good digital voice recorder is an option.
Adam Pelka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 22nd, 2007, 07:40 PM   #24
Major Player

How long of a cable for these mics connected to an iriver would you guys recommend? They range from 1 foot all the way to 5 feet... what should I go for? I plan on buying two in order to mic the groom and possibly the officiant.
Chris Harris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 22nd, 2007, 07:47 PM   #25
Trustee

I have two Giant Squid mics that I use with my iRivers, both with 5 foot cables. At first I was worried they would be too long, but it's easy to stuff the excess into the groom's pocket. And I've been happy with the extra length when micing the podium or whatever.
Old June 22nd, 2007, 09:12 PM   #26
Major Player

Should I go for the right angled plug if I'm going to use an iriver? Is the line input located in a place that the right angled plug would be better? I'm looking at getting the iFP-890.
Old June 22nd, 2007, 09:27 PM   #27
Trustee

If you get one of the 800 series, get the right angled plug, because the input is on the side of the player. If you get one of the 700 series, get the straight plug, because the input is on the end.

And you might as well get one of them with more memory than the 890. You'll probably get it off Ebay anyway, so why not go for the 795 or the 895 at least. Or max it out with the 799 or 899. The price difference will be small, and you'll be happy with the extra room if you want to use it as an mp3 player, or record for longer times.

I have an 895 and an 899.

And check out this page if you didn't see my post above:

http://www.videouniversity.com/iriver.shtml
Old June 23rd, 2007, 02:38 AM   #28
Major Player

So I ordered the iriver and the giant squid iriver mic, as well as a micromemo thing for the ipod nano and another lav mic. Set me back around $180. Can't wait to try it out!

Vito, thanks for all the help!
Old June 23rd, 2007, 06:34 AM   #29
Trustee

My pleasure. Hope it all works out for you!

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques