Vegas Pro 8 for $178 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Old January 2nd, 2008, 04:09 PM   #1
Wrangler

Vegas Pro 8 for $178

I don't know if this has been posted, or if this is the right place to post it (sorry, Chris).

B&H is offering Vegas 6.0 and the Vegas Pro 8 upgrade for $178. Considering that Vegas Pro 8 is a $399 package, this is a pretty good deal. The only negative is that there is no manual provided. I've been a Premiere user for ages, but at this price, I thought it would be a pretty good time to try the Vegas offering. Needless to say, Pro 8 supports HD and HDV. I've just received and installed both from B&H. They installed fine, and both registered with Sony.

Vegas 6 ($79):
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...o_Editing.html

Vegas Pro 8 upgrade ($99):
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...Vegas_Pro.html
Paul Tauger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 2nd, 2008, 04:37 PM   #2
Major Player

The upgrade link above is incorrect.. the correct link is:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...Vegas_Pro.html
Yang Wen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 2nd, 2008, 04:59 PM   #3
Wrangler

Thanks, Yang Wen. I've corrected it in the original post.
Old January 20th, 2008, 08:37 PM   #4
Major Player

Nice tip. Thanks!
Seun Osewa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 6th, 2008, 11:21 AM   #5
Regular Crew

Vegas offer.

Hi Paul,
checked it out, are you aware that the upgrade is for the "Pro" version, not to upgrade Vegas 6 to pro. status? Michael.
Michael Threadgold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 6th, 2008, 12:02 PM   #6
Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Threadgold View Post
Hi Paul,
checked it out, are you aware that the upgrade is for the "Pro" version, not to upgrade Vegas 6 to pro. status? Michael.
I'm not quite sure what you're getting at. As I said in the original post, you can get Vegas 6 and the upgrade to Vegas 8 Pro from BH. You wind up with Vegas 8 Pro. Is there some reason why you would want to upgrade Vegas 6 to pro status rather than get the latest version of the software?
Old February 6th, 2008, 12:45 PM   #7
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Tauger View Post
I'm not quite sure what you're getting at. As I said in the original post, you can get Vegas 6 and the upgrade to Vegas 8 Pro from BH. You wind up with Vegas 8 Pro. Is there some reason why you would want to upgrade Vegas 6 to pro status rather than get the latest version of the software?
Probably he was referring to the sentence in the B&H product description which says, "This Upgrade to Vegas Pro 8 ... allows owners of a previous professional version of Vegas to upgrade to v8." It could lead one to believe that the V8 upgrade might not work with Vegas 6, if it's a 'non-professional' version. But I gather you've already confirmed that the V8 upgrade DOES work with Vegas 6, right?
Mike Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 6th, 2008, 12:48 PM   #8
Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Brown View Post
Probably he was referring to the sentence in the B&H product description which says, "This Upgrade to Vegas Pro 8 ... allows owners of a previous professional version of Vegas to upgrade to v8." It could lead one to believe that the V8 upgrade might not work with Vegas 6, if it's a 'non-professional' version. But I gather you've already confirmed that the V8 upgrade DOES work with Vegas 6, right?
Ah, I see. Yes, it does work with Vegas 6. You need to fully install Vegas 6 and then run it once to validate it with Sony (very important step -- it won't work unless you do this). Then you can install the Vegas 8 Pro update. It will recognize the installed and validated Vegas 6 as an acceptable predecessor (it might ask for the serial number again, I don't recall now) and then install itself. Run the validation and it will validate just fine and voila! -- Vegas 8 Pro for a super low price.
Old February 6th, 2008, 01:31 PM   #9
Regular Crew

Recently purchased a PMW-EX1 and sadly adobe is way behind in getting a workable solution. So my options are 1. buy a $450 codec. or maybe 2. buy sony vegas.

Could someone compare the pros and cons of each, no flame wars please... but are they both strictly just editing programs or does vegas handle special effects (where as I would use after effects with premiere) and on that note does vegas work with after effects well?
Nick Schale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 6th, 2008, 11:36 PM   #10
Major Player

vegas can work with after effects through AAF protocol, but premiere and AE are better suited together as your effects in AE are updated in premiere through dynamic link. As far as ease and speed of editing, vegas kicks premiere (i use both), but when it comes to adding effects, AE plugin support is overwhelming in both premiere and AE.

Sound-vegas wins in this area (vegas used to be a multitrack audio program)

if you're just looking for straight cutting a film etc. vegas will get you faster, if lots of effects is important to you, you can cut in vegas and send an aaf to AE or cut in premiere and automatically update the timeline through dynamic link with AE.

Many flavors, choose yours
Roshdi Alkadri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 7th, 2008, 03:44 AM   #11
Regular Crew

Vegas upgrade

Hi Paul,
Hope I didn't offend. I can't believe the value! This is worth the postage to uk. Not available here- $425 to upgrade ! Import tax may be the catch for me. Michael
Michael Threadgold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 7th, 2008, 12:33 PM   #12
Regular Crew

i just bought the vegas 6 and vegas pro 8 , thanx guys for the info on this great deal. I have vista 64bit ultimate , do i even need to install vegas 6 at all , or do i pop in vegas pro upgrade and go from there? thanx Chris ,
Chris Wysocki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 7th, 2008, 12:49 PM   #13
Rick Johnson

Upgrade to Vegas Pro 8

Pop it in and see if it works! It didn't for me, but maybe Sony sent them a new shipment that will.

RJ
Old February 7th, 2008, 01:42 PM   #14
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Tauger View Post
...at this price, I thought it would be a pretty good time to try the Vegas offering.
Paul, welcome to the Vegas club. I'm certain that you'll come to like it as much as the rest of us.
BTW, how will you explain this decision to the folks over at rec. video.desktop?
:-)

Quote:
The only negative is that there is no manual provided.
Manuals haven't been provided in a very long time (version 4?).
There should be a PDF on your CD.
If not, grab them from the main Sony site here or Sony's archive site here
Mike Kujbida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 7th, 2008, 04:34 PM   #15
Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Wysocki View Post
i just bought the vegas 6 and vegas pro 8 , thanx guys for the info on this great deal. I have vista 64bit ultimate , do i even need to install vegas 6 at all , or do i pop in vegas pro upgrade and go from there? thanx Chris ,
You do need to install 6 first and validate it before installing 8 Pro.
Paul Tauger is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...