Large images crashes Vegas totally - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Old June 2nd, 2008, 03:18 PM   #16
Sponsor: JET DV

I have used it from within Vegas but do not routinely do so. Vegas handles 99% of my needs on its own.
Edward Troxel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 2nd, 2008, 05:36 PM   #17
Regular Crew

Just reduce the dpi to 72. 300 is only for printing.
Rick Diaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 3rd, 2008, 08:40 AM   #18
Major Player

Rick Diaz: Sure you have read the whole thread?

I must have a big resolution. My output will be 1280x720, and the image which I would like to use is 8000x5000 just becasue I have to pan and zoom.

The big image is like a cartoon page, where I pan and zoom, betweens the different cartoon boxes, I cant think of another word then boxes....

When using 72dpi, the big image will get pixelated mucho...

Anyway, I found out that 150dpi will do great, and render will work out without problems, also no interuppts in workflow...
Kim Olsson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 3rd, 2008, 09:39 AM   #19
Inner Circle

Just try cutting the size down until you find one that works.
You don't have too many choices as I see it.
Jeff Harper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 27th, 2008, 01:09 PM   #20
Tourist

Slideshow Pro with video

I am trying to prep video files to be brought into slideshow pro and then be played on a 500 pixel wide player within a website. Does anyone out there have suggestions as to how to do this? 500 pixels wide is not standard for video, so am wondering the best way to have the video fill up the space, maintain aspect ratio, decent quality but not overload people's bandwidth. Help! I know there is a sizing option within Slideshow Pro, but want to get the clips to the optimal size first.
Stephanie Foerster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 27th, 2008, 06:25 PM   #21
Major Player

DPI has absolutely nothing to do with video, it is all about the image size in pixels, period. If the image size is 4000x3000, then it doesn't matter at all if the DPI is set to 72, 150, 300 or 1,000,000.

As far as really large images in Vegas are concerned, Vegas must store at least one UNCOMPRESSED copy of it in RAM. It doesn't matter if it's originally stored as JPG, PNG, TIF or BMP on disc, Vegas must uncompress it. The 32-bit Vegas v8.0 in WinXP is limited to a maximum of 2 GB of RAM address space just like every other 32-bit application. An 8000x5000 24-bit image is 120 megabytes plus whatever RAM Vegas and the OS need for other things. When Windows runs out of physical RAM, it starts using the hard drive as RAM, but this is SLOW, SLOW, SLOW. Typically, when this happens, Vegas will appear to have crashed or locked up, but it hasn't actually crashed, it's just been slowed to a snail's pace. The patient hasn't died, it's just in a coma. Regardless, it has become essentially non-responsive.

I regularly use panorama images in Vegas which are at least 10000x3000. Using the 32-bit version of Vegas in WinXP will often exhibit the out of physical RAM problem and it will take forever to render. However, the new v8.1 64-bit Vegas in Vista64 can use as much RAM as you have installed. On a typical project that would bring the 32-bit Vegas to it's knees, the 64-bit version just screams along on my quad-core machine with 8 GB of RAM.
John Cline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 27th, 2008, 09:07 PM   #22
Tourist

SLIDESHOW PRO with video

Thanks for your reply, but I'm actually talking about a different application, just cannot figure out how to post a new topic/thread for some reason.

The application to which I'm referring is called Slideshow Pro, and the size of the player I'll be using on a website is 500 pixels wide. I would like suggestions from anyone out there regarding how to optimize video for non-typical sizes (e.g., not 320x240 or 640x480), maintain quality in terms of resolution but not overload the SLIDESHOW PRO player. Any suggestions are greatly appreciated!!!!! I'm using Final Cut and Compressor to export the original video clips.

Thanks.
Stephanie Foerster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 28th, 2008, 10:59 AM   #23
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kim Olsson View Post
I checked the site for SlideshowPro Jeff Harper, But Im doing a photomontage based on 3d track motion, and SlideshowPro does not do that, thnx anyway.

Anyway, you sounds like you have operated several NLE's over the time?

Which other NLE's gives you the 3d track motion abbility?
Here is an example of a photo / video montage that is entirely 3D track motion. Not possible in many programs besides AE & Vegas type programs.
Jason Robinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 29th, 2008, 04:45 AM   #24
Major Player

Still photo system limitations

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kim Olsson View Post
Hoho, Today I created a 8000x5000 pixlar large image (png) in the application Comic Life... Vegas went crazy, the workflow got interrupted, and frooze Vegas time to time (had to restart Vegas). And when rendering, the countdown frooze and couldnt render finished (had to restart Vegas).

Why couldnt Sony fix this issue with large images in Vegas. The problem, like I would call it, have been in Vegas like forever...

Have all NLE this issue, or is it just Vegas?
My notes indicate 4096x4096 is max size Vegas can handle.
PNG is recommended format, but JPG (among others) is acceptable.
Optimum resolution should be between 150-300 DPI, though this spec is far less important than size.
James Harring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 29th, 2008, 05:06 AM   #25
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Harring View Post
Optimum resolution should be between 150-300 DPI, though this spec is far less important than size.
Like I said, DPI has _absolutely_ nothing to do with video, it is ALL about the image size in pixels. Neither Vegas, nor any other NLE, pays any attention whatsoever to the DPI setting in an image file's header.

Also, 4096x4096 is the maximum project size, Vegas will import image files much larger than this assuming that you have enough RAM to handle it.
John Cline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 7th, 2008, 12:42 PM   #26
Major Player

thnx for all replys u all...
Kim Olsson is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...