Vegas Pro 8.0c and Vegas Pro 8.1X64 are out !!! - Page 3 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Old September 12th, 2008, 06:04 PM   #31

the issue was fixed by a beta release of a v8b .dll, a few weeks ago.
Bill Ravens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 12th, 2008, 07:25 PM   #32
Inner Circle

Actually, I've never read about it before, but I've experienced first hand with 8.1. Glad you mentioned it...now I know I'm not completely crazy nor am I the only one that's had it.
Jeff Harper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 12th, 2008, 08:14 PM   #33

hmmm..something strange still happening with vegas preview window and scopes. it shows the cineform codec to be full RGB0-255, while both Avid and edius show the same color bar pattern to be broadcast RGB. but, funny thing is, I believe what I see, now, unlike with v8b.
Old September 12th, 2008, 10:47 PM   #34
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny O'Neill View Post
Vista is the first real mainstream 64bit OS as XP 64 was just no good for anything.
Interesting. Vegas 8.0b has yet to crash under XP64 on my laptop and the newly downloaded 8.1 seems to offer a 20-25% speed increase on the same laptop. It's not twice as fast, but I'll gladly take the improvement.
Old September 13th, 2008, 05:56 AM   #35
Major Player

Well

I've only had a brief play on the laptop, I'm editing on my desktop, and like the other member mentioned above, I won't think of upgrading till the current project is finished.
Have noticed it handles AVCHD better, but a big bug for me is you can't preview from explorer with the auto play option, it plays the sound but not the video. Still has the still's problem for ram leak as well. But as I said only had a few minutes on it so far. Can't believe they broke something like the preview function!
Adam Letch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 13th, 2008, 11:03 AM   #36
Regular Crew

Quote:
Have noticed it handles AVCHD better, but a big bug for me is you can't preview from explorer with the auto play option, it plays the sound but not the video. Still has the still's problem for ram leak as well. But as I said only had a few minutes on it so far. Can't believe they broke something like the preview function!
It is not a bug but a new feature.
From the readme file:
Quote:
When the Show Video Monitor button in the Trimmer window is selected, video that you preview from the Vegas Explorer and Media Manager windows is played back in the Trimmer. Because the Trimmer is placed in the same window dock as the Explorer and Media Manager, you will not see your video preview. To preview Explorer and Media Manager video, you can drag the Trimmer to a new dock group, or you can turn off the Show Video Monitor button to preview in the Video Preview window.
Old September 13th, 2008, 12:06 PM   #37
Major Player

I jumped ship from vegas to fcp last year due to too many problems including no mxf handling, funny scope readings that i could never trust, unpredctable renders in regards to color, lack of third party support and many more things but i always said to myself i will go back once sony sort themself out because hands down it's the most user friendly program out there. However....after seeing the new installmenst from sony a year later, I can't say I'm impressed, many of the problems i left sony for are still aparant and I feel like while vegas is clearly leading in some respects (64bit, excellent audio editing etc) the other NLE's have paid attention to areas that are in demand from their users and thus this is the reason why I'm sticking with FCP, but i may keep sony around for some audio work but nothing else.
Daniel Alexander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 13th, 2008, 08:24 PM   #38
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Ravens View Post
hmmm..something strange still happening with vegas preview window and scopes. it shows the cineform codec to be full RGB0-255, while both Avid and edius show the same color bar pattern to be broadcast RGB. but, funny thing is, I believe what I see, now, unlike with v8b.
Thanks Bill.

I'm interested in any more of your thoughts on Vegas 8b vs 8c colorspace / levels madness.
I have not had time to check out 8c.
I hope it has improved.
Steven Thomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 15th, 2008, 10:20 PM   #39
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilles Pialat View Post
From the readme file:
From the readme file:

Quote:
When the Show Video Monitor button in the Trimmer window is selected, video that you preview from the Vegas Explorer and Media Manager windows is played back in the Trimmer. Because the Trimmer is placed in the same window dock as the Explorer and Media Manager, you will not see your video preview. To preview Explorer and Media Manager video, you can drag the Trimmer to a new dock group, or you can turn off the Show Video Monitor button to preview in the Video Preview window.

Gilles, how can I get back the same old video preview and not on the trimmer. I always take snapshot of the video in the preview mode. Now there is no auto preview, I am finding it very in-convenient. If there is no way out, I guess I will have to stick to 8.0b
John Woo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 15th, 2008, 11:25 PM   #40
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Woo View Post
Gilles, how can I get back the same old video preview and not on the trimmer. I always take snapshot of the video in the preview mode. Now there is no auto preview, I am finding it very in-convenient. If there is no way out, I guess I will have to stick to 8.0b
As mentioned in the readme file, you have to Uncheck « Show video monitor » in trimmer window
Old September 16th, 2008, 05:45 AM   #41

Hi Steve...

I really wish Sony would provide more documentation. Relative to 32-bit mode, their help files says ...
*32-bit floating point is recommended when working with 10-bit YUV input/output or when using xvYCC/x.v.Color media.

*When using 8-bit input/output, the 32-bit floating point setting can prevent banding from compositing that contains fades, feathered edges, or gradients.

I notice, also, that using 32-bit mode allows some file types(mxf, m2t) to display superwhites. Turning 32-bit mode off shrinks everything to broadcast luma ranges. This is most apparent when importing a colorbar pattern from either my EX1 or HD110. Of course, in 8-bit mode, if I want full 0-255 RGB, I have to apply a levels filter. Why is that? The files are certainly not 10-bit, and the excessive render time in 32 bit mode is unwieldly. If I, first, convert my native mxf file to avi with Cineform Neo HD and import the result, I get full 0-255 RGB, regardless of the bit depth. Now, that adds to my confusion.
edit: the inconsistency with cineform seems to have been a problem with cineform, which is now fixed

Of particular concern is that some render codecs apply an RGB conversion on top of what Vegas already applies, resulting in washed out images. So, for example I start with a colorbar pattern in 8-bit, that shows RGB 16-235. I render this out with something like DVCPRO50, and the result shows a colorbar pattern with RGB 33-225, which is clearly incorrect.

I continue to be baffled. Sony continues to not provide any explanation, documentation or advice regarding this behavior. There are plenty of 3 party pundits who claim to explain the behavior, however, I've yet to understand their logic.

Last edited by Bill Ravens; September 16th, 2008 at 08:11 AM.
Old September 16th, 2008, 06:43 AM   #42
Trustee

I tried to download 8.0c, but my ICON still says 8.0a. Am I doing something wrong? Do I download and save to Vegas 8.0 file? Also, same issue with DVD 5.0. Any suggestions? Bob
Bob Safay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 16th, 2008, 06:49 AM   #43
Sponsor: JET DV

Bob, did you also install it? You can always see what version you're running by starting Vegas. The splash screen will indicate your version. If Vegas is already started, you can go to Help - About and that screen will also tell you the actual version.
Edward Troxel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 16th, 2008, 11:46 AM   #44
Inner Circle

I agree with Edward, it sounds like you downloaded the .exe file, but didn't actually run it. You need to click on the file that you downoaded and install the program.
Jeff Harper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 17th, 2008, 06:28 AM   #45
Trustee

Ed/Jeff, thanks for your replys. I re-downloaded this morning and "saved" it to Vegas 8. Last time I think I screwed up and saved it to my documents. After reloading, I restarted the computer and there it was. Vegas 8.0c. Tonight I will upload dvd 5.0. Thanks again. Bob
Bob Safay is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...