Vegas Pro 8.0c and Vegas Pro 8.1X64 are out !!! - Page 4 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Old September 17th, 2008, 06:33 AM   #46
Inner Circle

You don't have to "Save it" any place in particular. You shouldn't store the exe file in your vegas folder...you are wasting space there.

Just download a file like this to your desktop, or anywhere. Click on it, let it run and then when it's finished delete it. Or if you are like me save it on another hd IN your software folder.
Jeff Harper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 20th, 2008, 01:27 PM   #47
Trustee

Thanks Bill...
Man, I was really hoping Sony would address this madness.

Right when I think I now know how to deal with certain footage with RGB level corrections (that should not be needed in the first place), things can go astray in the end by the time its rendered to the final media.

What the....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Ravens View Post
Hi Steve...

I really wish Sony would provide more documentation. Relative to 32-bit mode, their help files says ...
*32-bit floating point is recommended when working with 10-bit YUV input/output or when using xvYCC/x.v.Color media.

*When using 8-bit input/output, the 32-bit floating point setting can prevent banding from compositing that contains fades, feathered edges, or gradients.

I notice, also, that using 32-bit mode allows some file types(mxf, m2t) to display superwhites. Turning 32-bit mode off shrinks everything to broadcast luma ranges. This is most apparent when importing a colorbar pattern from either my EX1 or HD110. Of course, in 8-bit mode, if I want full 0-255 RGB, I have to apply a levels filter. Why is that? The files are certainly not 10-bit, and the excessive render time in 32 bit mode is unwieldly. If I, first, convert my native mxf file to avi with Cineform Neo HD and import the result, I get full 0-255 RGB, regardless of the bit depth. Now, that adds to my confusion.
edit: the inconsistency with cineform seems to have been a problem with cineform, which is now fixed

Of particular concern is that some render codecs apply an RGB conversion on top of what Vegas already applies, resulting in washed out images. So, for example I start with a colorbar pattern in 8-bit, that shows RGB 16-235. I render this out with something like DVCPRO50, and the result shows a colorbar pattern with RGB 33-225, which is clearly incorrect.

I continue to be baffled. Sony continues to not provide any explanation, documentation or advice regarding this behavior. There are plenty of 3 party pundits who claim to explain the behavior, however, I've yet to understand their logic.
Steven Thomas is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...