How to get perfect 60i-to-30p deinterlacing + 60i-to-60p-like Slow-Mo... - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Old December 23rd, 2008, 02:36 PM   #16
Inner Circle

As much as it pains me to say it, that is very nice footage Joe :) I think the slo mo at the beginning of one clip is slowed down a bit too much, but that is a minor quibble.
Jeff Harper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 23rd, 2008, 11:19 PM   #17
Major Player

Yea that's 25% slow motion... it looked bad, but the flickering effect sorta went with the music so I left it in. All 3 of these clips were edited within 45-60 minutes usually...

I changed it in further "revisions" but who knows what will happen...
Joe Busch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 22nd, 2009, 11:03 PM   #18
Major Player

I must say that I am still stunned. That footage was awesome. The level of detail was intense. This is probably a stupid question but I have seen references to "HDVSplit" on several occasions. What is it? Is it a stand alone or plugin, i have always been capturing my footage with vegas's internal capture. Something tells me that i have been making a mistake...
Old January 23rd, 2009, 12:06 AM   #19
Major Player

There's no difference in the quality between the two captures, it's all digital..

HDV Split just makes it simpler, allows a full 1920 x 1080 preview (although it is interlaced so it doesn't look too great) but allows for labelling of files using the time-code and automatic scene detection

I like it.
Old January 23rd, 2009, 09:41 PM   #20
Inner Circle

Kev,

I liked your footage and went straight to my vegas. I followed directions to the part about changing from 1 to .5.

At this point I right click on the clip and can not find that at all.

I am in 8.0c

Dale Guthormsen
Old January 23rd, 2009, 10:41 PM   #21
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale Guthormsen View Post
Kev,

I liked your footage and went straight to my vegas. I followed directions to the part about changing from 1 to .5.

At this point I right click on the clip and can not find that at all.

I am in 8.0c

Dale Guthormsen
Right click and hit Properties... then do you see playback rate?
Old January 24th, 2009, 08:03 AM   #22
Sponsor: JET DV

The playback rate can be changed multiple ways. To me, the easiest way is to hold down the CTRL key and then resize the event long (to slow it down).

You can also right-click it, and choose Properties. That will show you the Playback Rate setting along with many other settings.

With the pro version, you can also change the playback rate via a script.
Edward Troxel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 24th, 2009, 09:02 PM   #23
Inner Circle

Joe,

I got that sorted out, did not see the properties at the bottom and went to file, I must be impaired in some way!!

This method works well, Then apply a velocity envelope and you can bring it back a little more.

I now feel I can shoot the falcons at a higher shutter speed and not get stuttering or flicker. I will post a shot, however it was shot at 1/60th of a second.

I will post a stoop of a falcon as soon as I get it down loaded to vimeo
Old January 24th, 2009, 11:01 PM   #24
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward Troxel View Post
The playback rate can be changed multiple ways. To me, the easiest way is to hold down the CTRL key and then resize the event long (to slow it down).

You can also right-click it, and choose Properties. That will show you the Playback Rate setting along with many other settings.

With the pro version, you can also change the playback rate via a script.
Yea, but holding down ctrl does not make it exact.

It needs to be exactly .500 or 50% slow-motion for this to work right.

Even setting higher like 75% slow motion you get ghosts/doesn't look right, but at 50% it looks perfect.
Old January 25th, 2009, 06:58 AM   #25

If I have to have an exact speed, I'll use scripts. With my script, I can set it to an exact number AND it will auto resize for me so that it matches the new speed.

With the proper settings turned on, the speed percentage WILL display in the audio (assuming what you're changing the speed of HAS audio) so you can be fairly precise using the CTRL-resize as well.
Old January 25th, 2009, 07:34 AM   #26
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward Troxel View Post
If I have to have an exact speed, I'll use scripts. With my script, I can set it to an exact number AND it will auto resize for me so that it matches the new speed.

With the proper settings turned on, the speed percentage WILL display in the audio (assuming what you're changing the speed of HAS audio) so you can be fairly precise using the CTRL-resize as well.

Where can we get this script ?

Thanks.
Paul.
Old January 25th, 2009, 07:44 AM   #27

I use Excalibur for this. I wrote Excalibur. I wouldn't be surprised if other scripts somewhere will do the same.
Old January 25th, 2009, 07:58 AM   #28
Trustee

Hi Ed.
I just downloaded and installed excalibur, how do i use it within vegas ?
I can't see anything different in vegas.

Thanks.
Paul.
Old January 25th, 2009, 07:59 AM   #29
Trustee

Found it.
View>extensions

Paul.
Old January 25th, 2009, 03:13 PM   #30

Yes, it's a custom command in Vegas Pro 8. As such, it's listed under extensions (there are three in Vegas Pro 8 - Tools, View, and Edit) unlike previous versions where it was listed under Tools - Scripting.

Once open, you can leave it open all the time in the docked area. When you exit and restart Vegas, it will automatically restart as well unless you manually exit out of it. It's totally free to use and fully unlocked for the first 15 days.
Edward Troxel is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...