How to get perfect 60i-to-30p deinterlacing + 60i-to-60p-like Slow-Mo... at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Old December 21st, 2008, 04:01 AM   #1
Major Player

How to get perfect 60i-to-30p deinterlacing + 60i-to-60p-like Slow-Mo...

This works with any 60i footage, and works quite well... I'm surprised more people don't know about this.

Project settings
Field Order - Progressive
Deinterlace Method - Interpolate Fields

That gets you 30p out of 60i, Vegas does it in real-time, you may have to change your preview window to Preview (Half) or Good (Full) to see the results... I leave mine at Good (Full) 24/7

Then for rendering, just make sure you choose progressive for field-order if there's an option.

And finally for the slow motion, after you've done the de-interlacing method above, you simply right-click on the clip you want to be slow-motion and change the playback rate from 1.000 to 0.500 ...

It's incredibly simple and produces great results. All of this was shot with an FX7 at 1/1000 shutter... The FX7 can only shoot 1080i60, and all of this was edited in Vegas 8.0/8.1 and captured with HDVSplit

I've tried this with my old footage from a Canon Elura 2MC 480i60 camera... and it worked just the same...

YouTube - Epic Preview
YouTube - Epic Preview 2
YouTube - Epic Preview 3
Joe Busch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 21st, 2008, 09:41 AM   #2
Trustee

Joe, why do you use Interpolate Fields, instead of blend and how does it work better?
Old December 21st, 2008, 11:51 AM   #3
Major Player

Blend just blends the fields together... Interpolate creates progressive frames out of interlaced fields. It rather cuts out every 2nd field and fills in the missing information.

Regardless, Interpolate fields produces what true 30p should look like... watch the videos... pause it on a frame and it looks progressive with no signs of interlacing ever being there.
Old December 21st, 2008, 01:21 PM   #4
Regular Crew

Try Vimeo!

Nice job; thanks, Joe.

But I wish more people would use vimeo.com for posting their video. Not only is the quality much higher, but you can let people download your source clip, giving them a much clearer picture of what was created.

But once again, thanks for the post!
Old December 21st, 2008, 01:34 PM   #5
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Holmes View Post
But I wish more people would use vimeo.com for posting their video. Not only is the quality much higher, but you can let people download your source clip, giving them a much clearer picture of what was created.
The quality is in fact not higher on Vimeo. And frankly, not everyone WANTS people downloading their stuff. Vimeo also doesnt support 30p, which many, many shooters use.
Old December 21st, 2008, 01:39 PM   #6
Regular Crew

Oh, sorry. I was just frustrated that the YouTube HD version of your clip was playing back at maybe 5 frames per second on my mac tower. Ended up watching it in low (standard) quality. Fun footage, though.

You mentioned in your post getting 60P - what settings do you use to get that?

Also, if you decide to give Vimeo a try, the download option is just an option. You can set your video to not download, or even to private. I use the private option for transferring very large video files to clients; it's very useful.
Old December 21st, 2008, 01:50 PM   #7
Trustee

Mark.
For transfering large files to clients try mailbigfile.com.

MailBigFile.com | Send Large Files - Quick & Easy - Free Service - Web Transfer - Pro & Business Accounts

I use it, it's brilliant and easy.

Paul.
Old December 21st, 2008, 01:51 PM   #8
Major Player

I do the same when shooting 60i, and edit progressive in vegas, however, i use cineform to deinterlace, in my opinion it deinterlaces better, this is link to an example of how to deinterlace, I have tried it, it creates huge files, but its something think about

What is deinterlacing? The best method to deinterlace movies
Hugh Mobley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 21st, 2008, 02:21 PM   #9
Regular Crew

Nice; thanks, Hugh.

Paul, yes, mailbigfile is good, but I like that on Vimeo they can simply preview the clip for content and edit without downloading, and if it passes muster, then they can choose to download. It saves steps, and time, and time, after all, especially these days, is money.
Old December 21st, 2008, 03:23 PM   #10
Major Player

Heh well here's some full 1080p .wmv's

http://lousyhero.com/videos/epicprevhd.wmv
http://lousyhero.com/videos/epicprevhd2.wmv
http://lousyhero.com/videos/epicprevhd3.wmv

I've tried that method on 100fps and it's a ton of work, when Vegas does the same thing for zero effort.

Honestly give it a shot, change a few settings around and render some of your video out, I think you'll see the results are identical.

I actually looked frame-by-frame and the "fake" 60p slow motion looked sharper/had more detail than the regular de-interlaced 30p.

I think the advantage of keeping the source files in 60i is that Vegas can now "create" the missing frames for slow motion out of those 2nd fields that would be lost if you gave Vegas 30p as source footage.
Old December 21st, 2008, 05:23 PM   #11
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugh Mobley View Post
I do the same when shooting 60i, and edit progressive in vegas, however, i use cineform to deinterlace, in my opinion it deinterlaces better, this is link to an example of how to deinterlace, I have tried it, it creates huge files, but its something think about

What is deinterlacing? The best method to deinterlace movies
There is some good information on that site but I think some is not correct. I do not think cameras MIX fields together which is stated on that site. In fact several modern cameras capture full frames and then output what has be prescribed. A true interlace camera send/records fields every 1/60 sec they are in essense half of vertical resolution of a 60fps capture, first odd then even field every 1/60 sec. I have always had this problem with understanding how this is 30 frames per second!!! To me it is only 30 because 60 divided by 2 is 30. Simplistically adding these fields results in the poor deinterlacing often seen on PC screens as they are captured 1/60 apart as is clearly demonstrated with pictures on the site. A better way would be to use several sequential fields to interpolate a full 60fps progressive output( recreate the missing fields for each frame) as several high end external hardware boxes do. I am not sure if Vegas does this but that would be great as I am not a fan of low frame rates. I like the smooth motion that interlace gave on a CRT.

Ron Evans
Ron Evans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 22nd, 2008, 09:22 AM   #12
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Busch View Post
This works with any 60i footage, and works quite well... I'm surprised more people don't know about this.

Project settings
Field Order - Progressive
Deinterlace Method - Interpolate Fields

That gets you 30p out of 60i, Vegas does it in real-time, you may have to change your preview window to Preview (Half) or Good (Full) to see the results... I leave mine at Good (Full) 24/7

Then for rendering, just make sure you choose progressive for field-order if there's an option.

And finally for the slow motion, after you've done the de-interlacing method above, you simply right-click on the clip you want to be slow-motion and change the playback rate from 1.000 to 0.500 ...

It's incredibly simple and produces great results. All of this was shot with an FX7 at 1/1000 shutter... The FX7 can only shoot 1080i60, and all of this was edited in Vegas 8.0/8.1 and captured with HDVSplit

I've tried this with my old footage from a Canon Elura 2MC 480i60 camera... and it worked just the same...

YouTube - Epic Preview
YouTube - Epic Preview 2
YouTube - Epic Preview 3
what are your render settings to get such good quality on youtube?
Old December 22nd, 2008, 11:05 PM   #13
Major Player

Just upload it at 1280 x 720, Youtube has an "HD" feature now..

It takes a couple hours to show up after uploading.

The link I gave you had &fmt=22 at the end, which forces HD mode, if you give someone a normal link, they'll have to click a button under the video that says "Watch in HD"
Old December 23rd, 2008, 10:40 AM   #14
Regular Crew

however the debate ends, that is absolutely killer camera work....nice. I love the FX7, such a great cam. We use it from a helo constantly. Why the 1/1000? Better for quick action?
Old December 23rd, 2008, 12:25 PM   #15
Major Player

1/1000 "freezes" the motion better in each frame... I think it looks better than having a bunch of motion blur atleast for action.

And that's all with a cheap friction-head tripod... was like $400 from Bogen/Manfrotto...

Looking to grab a Vinten vision 3 here pretty soon... which should make for smoother shots... :D
Joe Busch is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...