Vegas Video discussions from 2005 (Q1Q2) - Page 4 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Closed Thread

Old December 30th, 2004, 09:05 AM   #46
Major Player

thanks for your answer rob. i'll check the project settings and so on, as you suggest and get back to you on this. thanks.

i'll also check to see if i can use a different format to export other than jpeg.

all said, i still am not clear on why the vegas preview looks better than the rendered product when rendering to PAL DV uncompressed (did not change any of the default settings).

thanks again.
adi
Old December 30th, 2004, 04:25 PM   #47
Regular Crew

intro for promo video needed

Hi all,

I am in need of inspiration right now , if any of you know where I could find on the web promotionnal video's made by you or others.

Something that has great intro's/outro's

These should have been done with vegas because I kinda rant out of idea's for them when doing them in vegas

If this is not the case please specify with which program it was done with

Thanks a bunch

Phil
Old December 31st, 2004, 05:12 AM   #48
RED Code Chef

One thing that is different is that the preview is not interlaced
(probably) and your output is. Also it might not be able to actually
interpolate the 12 to 25 fps in realtime so that might in this case
give it a better appearance as well.

Rob Lohman, visuar@iname.com
DV Info Wrangler & RED Code Chef

Join the DV Challenge | Lady X

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Buy from the best: DVinfo.net sponsors
Old December 31st, 2004, 07:00 AM   #49
Major Player

rob, here are the details you requested...

1. vegas project settings:

frame: 720X576
pixel axpect ratio: 1.000 square
frame rate: 12
full-resolution rendering quality: best
motion blur type: gaussian
deinterlace method: blend fields

2. media properties:

switches marked:
loop
smart resample

playback rate: 1.000
undersample rate: 1.000

3. no changes were made to the PAL DV template

i'm not quite sure what you meant when you wrote that you assume that i wish to interpet 12 fps as 25 fps instead of converting it to that.

also, i thought i might mention that loss in quality is especially noticable during "camera motion" which was created with vegas crop and pan.

thanks!!
Old December 31st, 2004, 08:11 AM   #50
Sponsor: JET DV

PAL-DV *IS* 25fps (not 12)

If you wish to output to TV, it will need to be 25fps and the TV will be interlaced.
Old December 31st, 2004, 10:18 AM   #51
Major Player

Thanks guys,
Even the W2k tools in the disk management section wouldn't touch this. I thought that the "repair system files" option would at least let me see the files...nope.
I made a list of important files on the drive prior to the problem.
Fortunately, I was paranoid enough to make a copy of the master
.avi of the show on another drive, which I discovered last night.
I can take it back into Vegas and make the DVD stuff again.

First time I've ever had a drive (Maxtor 16oGB 7200rpm) go down.
I re-formatted it and it came up as 140+GB instead of the 153GB it used to be, so there were apparently a bunch of bad sectors.
I'm sending it back to Maxtor on Monday for a replacement...it's one of their last drives with a 3 year warranty; now they're only giving a year.
Thanks again for your suggestions.
Ken
Old December 31st, 2004, 02:18 PM   #52
Major Player

so what is it that i have to change or do differently so that the animation, rendered to pal dv, will look best as possible?
Old January 1st, 2005, 11:05 PM   #53
Regular Crew

Just to make things clear , the kind of stuff i am looking for is like the intro for the LadyX project.

thanks

ps: if you read this Rob could you tell me which program did you use to make the intro for the project , it really is a great one
Old January 2nd, 2005, 07:47 AM   #54
Major Player

Any news on HDV native support?

So; is there any news on development for adding HDV native support to Vegas?

I'm surprised that this question hasn't been asked before, given that the FX-1 has been out for long enough now that Vegas' lack of native support could be seen as embarrassing; to say the least.

I know there's been some movement towards this end.... I just wondered whether it would be forthcoming before Ulead, Avid, FCP, Adobe and well.....just about everyone else have managed to do so!!
Old January 2nd, 2005, 08:29 AM   #55
Major Player

Going straight into the Trimmer Bin

Is there a way to open up clips directly (first) into the Trimmer Bin, instead of opening them up on the time line first? Thanks.
Old January 2nd, 2005, 09:39 AM   #56
Major Player

double click on item in media pool or explorer.
Old January 2nd, 2005, 10:07 AM   #57
Old Boot

1/- If from Media Pool, just Right Click on event and slect Open in Trimmer.

OR:

2/- If you want to Open IN trimmer from Vegas Explorer you need to SET this option within Preferences. It is the 10th option within the Tools>Preferences>General

Good luck . .happy editing

Grazie
Old January 2nd, 2005, 04:27 PM   #58
Trustee

it's not just a vegas issue... all software-only editors are incapable of real-time previewing of native hdv footage, because the present-day computer cpu's aren't powerful enuf to do the decoding for playback... there is no software fix for that, and it doesn't have anything to do with hard drive speed... so you can't fix the problem with things like hard drive raid arrays.

the only way we'll get native hdv with vegas at this point in time is if they add some kind of hardware support... which doesn't appear to be happening.
Old January 2nd, 2005, 05:58 PM   #59
Regular Crew

Are There Additional Transitions for Vegas 5

I have Transitions in other editing apps not in vegas. Are there add on transition packs availible?
Old January 2nd, 2005, 06:38 PM   #60
Major Player

<<<-- Originally posted by Dan Euritt : it's not just a vegas issue... all software-only editors are incapable of real-time previewing of native hdv footage, because the present-day computer cpu's aren't powerful enuf to do the decoding for playback... there is no software fix for that, and it doesn't have anything to do with hard drive speed... so you can't fix the problem with things like hard drive raid arrays.

the only way we'll get native hdv with vegas at this point in time is if they add some kind of hardware support... which doesn't appear to be happening. -->>>

Hmm.... I take it you don't have a FX-1 then Dan? If you do, you mustn't have attempted to capture from the cam in HDV mode into Vegas, because that's the only way you could have misinterpretted what I am saying....

Come to think of it, I don't even recall thinking of 'real-time' in any form when I wrote my original post.... probably because I've got ConnectHD, which apart from CapDVHS (a most inelegant capture tool) is the only effective capture software I've found for the FX-1.

You'd also be aware if you had the FX-1 that once you've got your CFHD avi or m2t files captured that getting them into Vegas isn't something that's easy enough for a relative 'computer newbie' to accomplish: i.e. the CFHD files are the native 1440x1080, and require a custom template to display and edit correctly, while the m2t files don't show as 'media files' and must be imported under the 'all files' option. While this may not be an excessive hassle from my perspective, it's annoying enough that these extra steps have to be taken when Sony's own NLE could be updated to a point where they're unnecessary.

Also, WinXP service pack 2 must be installed for your system to even recognise the cam, although Vegas will only recognise it in DV mode....which is fine if I wanted crappy DV mode captures, rather than the HDV material I bought the camera for.

So; yes, it is a Vegas issue....not anything to do with real-time preview or any exotic hardware support. Just a plain and simple need for Sony to support it's own hardware within it's own NLE.....
Closed Thread

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...