Vegas Video discussions from 2005 (Q1Q2) - Page 131 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Closed Thread

Old June 27th, 2005, 10:36 PM   #1951
Regular Crew

Problems rendering uncompressed .mov files

Can anyone help?
I want to render a four minute clip to an uncompressed quicktime .mov file.Simple enough...
What happens is,I view the file rendering in the preview window and at 75% my clip is at the end.Fade to black.Vegas,however is still rendering and renders for another 20 minutes(black)climbs to 80% and then starts back down to 75% when an error appears.
Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks
Old June 28th, 2005, 12:29 AM   #1952
Major Player

ReelPak-1 and Celluloid

What is the difference between two? I see no difference.
Old June 28th, 2005, 12:52 AM   #1953
Major Player

Celluloid is a plug in for Vegas that can apply colour correction 'looks' to your video. It can also automate the conversion from 60i to 24p.

The thing about Celluloid is that it is just a scripting tool - it doesn't really do any processing itself, it uses the filters embedded in Vegas, and just applies preset curves and parameters. The great thing about it is after you apply a look, you can then open up the effects chain for the event and tweak the parameter to get it exactly how you want it. The looks aren't anything you couldn't do yourself with the filters in vegas, but they let you quickly give the footage a 'close enough' look and then just tweak it.

Reelpak 1 is another set of looks that can be used with Celluloid or Ultimate S. One of those plugins must already exist on your system. Once you install it all the looks are available from within Celluloid.

I've got it and I find it great for speeding up giving video a 'look'

Cheers.
Old June 28th, 2005, 03:24 AM   #1954
Inner Circle

Don't know about Vegas 4 but the current version allows you to do both. You can slow down video and/or audio with the time stretch tools and you can choose whether the audio pitch changes or not. Likewise you can create a "subclip" from either audio or video or both and flip it in the timeline to reverse it.
Old June 28th, 2005, 07:13 AM   #1955
Sponsor: JET DV

A velocity envelope cannot be applied to audio in Vegas 4 (or 3 or 2 or 5 or 6) That does not mean some of this cannot be done, though.

To reverse audio, you really need Vegas 5 or 6 which has a right-click - Reverse option. For Vegas 4 you'll need to reverse the audio in some other program such as Sound Forge or the audio editor that comes with Windows.

To speed up or slow down audio, use the CTRL-Drag method.
Old June 28th, 2005, 07:15 AM   #1956

Is there anything farther down the timeline after your fade to black?

For testing purposes, have you tried any other formats? Perhaps Uncompressed AVI?
Old June 28th, 2005, 11:37 AM   #1957
Regular Crew

Why don't you just render in the selected region. I love that feature because I usually shoot 30 minutes of footage which is then edited down to 3 8 minute segments for the web. By rendering the highlighted section only I can keep all the related clips on a single timeline and .veg file. Mark
Vegas6+DVD
Old June 28th, 2005, 06:55 PM   #1958
New Boot

Oh, alright. That's what I thought. Thanks a lot, you guys.
Old June 29th, 2005, 08:34 AM   #1959
Major Player

classroom training for Vegas

I'm trying to convince my boss that we should switch from our outdated version of Premiere (which we can't upgrade for unrelated reasons) to Vegas. He's starting to come around but has said that before we buy it he wants me to go take a class. It has to be this summer before the fiscal year ends.

I've surfed and searched and googled and the only classes I find are VASST. While that would have been great I've managed to just miss them. Are they really the only people who offer it? Or maybe I'm just not looking in the right places.

I've noticed that there are a few DVD sets that people around here recommend. When I floated that option to him he balked. Probably for reasons I'm not privy to he really wants it to be a class. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Smile,
Kris
Old June 29th, 2005, 09:43 AM   #1960

There really aren't a whole lot of options as far as an actual classroom setting. As far as I know, VASST is the only tour going around the states. There may be a few local colleges around the country offering classes on Vegas.

Don't know if it falls in your timeframe or if you could travel, but you might check out this option:
http://digitalmediaacademy.org/cours...ets/vegas.html
Old June 29th, 2005, 10:26 AM   #1961
Major Player

Yeah, I did see that one. It looked good, but it started last Monday. I'm having that kind of luck with this search. He also mentioned wanting me to stay on the east coast, but at some point he's going to have to cave on something.

Thanks for the effort.
Old June 29th, 2005, 10:44 AM   #1962
Wrangler

Man, your boss sounds like a tough customer, Kris! And I empathize with you on the classes--I was a day late for everything last year.

What if you downloaded the free trial, got to know it that way, then showed him how great it is? Maybe he'd be so impressed with it (and how quickly you learned) that he'd let you go for it.
Old June 29th, 2005, 12:06 PM   #1963

In all honesty, the training DVDs make more sense as you could go back and watch them over and over again as needed. Also, don't rule out other things like my newsletters and the great assistance from forums such as this one.
Old June 30th, 2005, 04:28 PM   #1964
Regular Crew

I need photomontage help

I'm trying to achieve the following effect...one photo in the middle of the screen resized with track motion...Then a series of scrolling pics (also resized w/track motion) moving left to right above the middle photo...and another series of resized photos moving right to left below the middle photo. I'm using track motion to do all of this, but when I keyframe each image to move across the screen they all want to do their own thing. I messed around with it for an hour or so and couldn't get it right. am I on the right track here?
Old June 30th, 2005, 05:46 PM   #1965

For every keyframe you have added, look at the properties on the left hand side for the "smoothness" setting. Change that from 1 to 0 and your linear keyframes will now be linear instead of speeding up and slowing down.
Closed Thread

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...