I love Vegas at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Old January 2nd, 2005, 08:50 AM   #1
Major Player

I love Vegas

I remember when I was in film school (7 years ago) and we had to edit on flat bed editors....complete nightmare, and what made it worse for me was that I knew that NLE editing was on the rise (back then HD Space was a major issue) so it was very hard for me to have a passion for manual linear editing (I got a D in the class.) With Vegas, cutting my movie together is a dream, a breeze! Unlike the old 16mm flat bed editors, I no longer have to sell my soul to the devil for experimenting with my cuts. I just got Vegas not too long ago, and I can see what all the hype is about in regards to its straight-to-the-point simplicity.

PS. I did edit my thesis film on Premier in my senior year, and I don’t remember it being as intuitive as Vegas is…maybe the new version of Premier changed, I don’t know.
Glenn Gipson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 2nd, 2005, 10:01 AM   #2
Old Boot

Hiyah! Good init?

I love working in Vegas 5. And yes it is mostly intuitive. It has some foibles .. . I like to RAM Preview some of my "concoctions" to get a look 'n feel for a short piece. Recently I've stumbled on an issue with RAM building Preview within Pan Crop AND having the Sync Cursor applied . . It's been sent to the engineers.

I liken Vegas to the more intuitive graphics packages OR music packages OR word processors. The Cut and Paste and the Paste Event Attributes are just steaming! I use chroma keying a lot to get amazing organic affects and multi track to create layers upon layers. Have you gotten around to using an empty track as a Parent track to motion "Child" tracks? That's mind blowing!

I recently purchased SPOT's Vegas 5 Editing Workshop 2nd Edition - from the Digital Video Expert Series: Tips and Tricks to improve workflow ... PLUS Gary Kliener's 5 DVD set of One-To-One tutorials. These two sources of knowledge have been an inspiration to my leaping forward.

Welcome aboard . ..

Grazie
Graham Bernard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 2nd, 2005, 10:18 AM   #3
Major Player

>>Have you gotten around to using an empty track as a Parent track to motion "Child" tracks?<<

I'm not sure what you mean, could you explain?
Old January 2nd, 2005, 10:24 AM   #4
Old Boot

Ok - Have you used Track motion yet? This gives you the option to move your event/s in 2 and now 3-D space. Now in V5 you can have many tracks working in 3-D space in relationship with each other. Ok . . Now you've set this up, and you are then happy with say 3 tracks moving about, you can then make ALL 3 tracks children to an Empty Parent track - and now you can move all those children tracks in unison, being "goverend" by this PArent track! . . Very hard to explain here. I can email you a veg and you can subsititute your own medi. You want it?

Grazie
Old January 2nd, 2005, 11:01 AM   #5
Old Boot

Sent you 2 veggies to play with! - :) Grazie
Old January 2nd, 2005, 11:12 AM   #6
Major Player

Thanks Graham!
Old January 2nd, 2005, 11:14 AM   #7
Old Boot

Sorry it aint pretty . . but it kinda explains what I was attemtping to say in . .er . .words?

Do you see now? It's a great addition to what we do - yeah?

Grazie
Old January 3rd, 2005, 12:41 AM   #8
Major Player

Re: I love Vegas

<<<-- Originally posted by Glenn Gipson : I remember when I was in film school (7 years ago) and we had to edit on flat bed editors....complete nightmare, and what made it worse for me was that I knew that NLE editing was on the rise (back then HD Space was a major issue) so it was very hard for me to have a passion for manual linear editing (I got a D in the class.) With Vegas, cutting my movie together is a dream, a breeze! Unlike the old 16mm flat bed editors, I no longer have to sell my soul to the devil for experimenting with my cuts. I just got Vegas not too long ago, and I can see what all the hype is about in regards to its straight-to-the-point simplicity.

PS. I did edit my thesis film on Premier in my senior year, and I don’t remember it being as intuitive as Vegas is…maybe the new version of Premier changed, I don’t know. -->>>

I'm in film school now, and my last project was cut on an 8-plate. I really enjoy the tactile experience, but I must be allergic to some checmical on the film or sprocketed tape (if it uses some special non-residual glue) because my fingers get really peely any time I'm on the Steenbeck for awhile, and it lasts a for a couple weeks.

They keep talking about going all digital here, but the students prefer to keep "dabbling" in film. I love shooting 16mm because it forces me to learn to light and prepare better.

BTW - I love Vegas too, and obviously prefer the freedom NLE's and Vegas specifically provide.
Jesse Bekas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 4th, 2005, 12:37 PM   #9
Regular Crew

Hey can you send me some vegs to play with ! I only know simple concepts with Parents controls and would love to practice/play with this powerful feature.

timlexus@gmail.com

thanks!

<<<-- Originally posted by Graham Bernard : Sent you 2 veggies to play with! - :) Grazie -->>>
Tim Kay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 4th, 2005, 01:08 PM   #10
Old Boot

Andy? You want veggies . . you wanna?

Here's a place you can fill yah boots with em . .. be warned, they ARE addictive . . it is part of the VASST site ..

http://www.vasst.com/training/othersoftware.htm

Grazie
Old January 4th, 2005, 08:57 PM   #11
Regular Crew

me too! me too! thanks Grazie!!!!

tjashbrooke@gmail.com
Tim Ashbrooke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 5th, 2005, 12:16 PM   #12
Regular Crew

http://hazardousproductions.com/images/edit.gif

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...