Vegas 5.0d released at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Old January 6th, 2005, 10:21 AM   #1
Sponsor: JET DV

Vegas 5.0d released

An updated version of Sony Vegas 5 has been released that contains:

1) HDV project templates
2) HDV source file interpretation
2) HDV render templates for Sony HDV-compliant 1080-60i and 1080-50i HDV MPEG-2

The good news here is you can now get your HDV projects back to Sony HDV cameras and decks.

Download the Vegas 5 update here:

http://mediasoftware.sonypictures.co...p2.asp?DID=496

If you already have Vegas 5, it's a free update.
Edward Troxel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 6th, 2005, 02:58 PM   #2
Major Player

Edward,

Thanks for the info.

Do you know if this will affect the use of Cineform’s codec?

Did they skip 5.0c?

Any non-HDV revisions?

Brian
Brian Mitchell Warshawsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 6th, 2005, 04:31 PM   #3

I never saw a "C" release.

I would not expect it to affect Cineform.
Old January 7th, 2005, 03:46 AM   #4
Major Player

Re: Vegas 5.0d released

<<<-- Originally posted by Edward Troxel : An updated version of Sony Vegas 5 has been released that contains:

1) HDV project templates
2) HDV source file interpretation
2) HDV render templates for Sony HDV-compliant 1080-60i and 1080-50i HDV MPEG-2

The good news here is you can now get your HDV projects back to Sony HDV cameras and decks.

-->>>

But still no capture?

If Vegas still can't identify the FX-1 to capture how can Vegas allow for back to cam m2t writes?

It's nice that the HDV project templates are there, even though I'd created my own anyway, and the HDV file interpetation saves some hassles in frame order etc. as well as the HDV render templates (again I'd already created my own).

However, until there's the ability to actually capture with the cam (as well as write back) directly from Vegas I'll continue to see this flaw as a major stumbling block for those wishing to go the FX-1 / Vegas HDV route....

BTW.... I have attempted to capture and receive the "Unable to communicate with Windows AV/C tape device" message, and yes I have SP2 installed. ConnectHD HDLink capture works correctly....
Steve Crisdale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 8th, 2005, 12:45 PM   #5
Major Player

Does this release have any benefits to users who are staying with DV25?
John Hartney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 8th, 2005, 05:18 PM   #6

<<<-- Originally posted by John Hartney : Does this release have any benefits to users who are staying with DV25? -->>>

Not really.
Old January 9th, 2005, 07:15 AM   #7
RED Code Chef

There seemed to have been a C release:
Quote:
Notable Changes/Fixes in Version 5.0c

A bug has been fixed in the MPEG plug-in that would prevent saving markers to MPEG files.
Source: Vegas release notes

Rob Lohman, visuar@iname.com
DV Info Wrangler & RED Code Chef

Join the DV Challenge | Lady X

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Buy from the best: DVinfo.net sponsors
Rob Lohman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 9th, 2005, 07:46 AM   #8
Old Boot

Yup! I'm staying with SD for the moment. No need for me to go beyond V5b ... the mpeg markers? Well, I don't think I need this. . .do I Edward?

Mind you it might make developers and their testers jobs interesting if they don't "all" have the same platform .. hmmm?

Grazie
Graham Bernard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 9th, 2005, 10:11 AM   #9
Regular Crew

I'm pretty sure there were other issues fixed, too. I seem to remember a comment over on the Sony forums about the arrow keys working in one of the dialogs again.
Robert Crawford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 9th, 2005, 03:31 PM   #10

If you are going to DVDA and using markers for your chapter points, you may want the upgrade for the marker issue. I'm not sure if any other issues were affected by "C" or "D", though.
Old January 12th, 2005, 04:58 PM   #11
Regular Crew

Ed,
When does this failure to transfer markers happen? I haven't had a problem in 5.0b with markers going into MPEG2 renders.
Old January 12th, 2005, 07:50 PM   #12
Major Player

Query on the HDV templates...

I noticed that the settings for 1080i frame rates have what I'd prefer to call an inconsistency, especially the PAL 1080i 50 which indicates frame rate as 25.

I'd always assumed that 50i was 50 interlaced fps and not 25. If I'm converting/transcoding then 25p would be something I definitely select, but to have the template set the frame rate to 25 seems rather odd and could (I haven't rendered out a test to check!!) lead to errors in the encode that might cause angst on the users part.

Just wondering if there's some bizarre miscalculation that I've made and 50i is in actual fact 25fps....?

If it is an error in the template, it may pay to change it pronto, because unsuspecting users will probably blame the FX-1 rather than digging deeper into the root cause of any stuttering playback!!
Old January 12th, 2005, 07:59 PM   #13
Major Player

Oh, and shouldn't the Audio setting be 48Hz and best quality by default in the template audio settings for HDV?

When's Vegas going to natively support the FX-1? Using ConnectHD is OK, but it don't beat just selecting the cam for capture to the timeline, and transcoding a 30min m2t into CFHD just took about 2.5Hrs on my 3.4Ghz P-IV HT!!!

It's the one area of embarrassment for me when talking to people about the HDV solution.... The fact that the software/capture/conversion side is a jig-saw puzzle.
Old January 12th, 2005, 08:53 PM   #14

Lamar, I don't know what the bug-fix was for the markers. I also have not had any problems with them. I do seem to recall some possible problems when rendering to a FAT32 drive.
Old January 13th, 2005, 11:16 PM   #15
CTO, CineForm Inc.

Steve,

Really that slow for you? What was your CPU usage showing? The capture/convert should be no slower than 2 to 1 on a minimum required class of PC for the Sony version of Connect HD (your PC is faster than that.) Which version of Connect HD are you running? The CineForm version comes with a faster MPEG decoder -- shortening the conversion times further -- Sony has licensed a different decoder (one of the reasons for the price difference.) You should be seeing more like 1.6:1 (CineForm version) and 1.8:1 (Sony version.) We are working to lower these ratios even further, so do regularly check the CineForm web site for updates.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...