Vegas 5.0d released - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Old January 14th, 2005, 03:14 AM   #16
Major Player

<<<-- Originally posted by David Newman : Steve,

Really that slow for you? What was your CPU usage showing? The capture/convert should be no slower than 2 to 1 on a minimum required class of PC for the Sony version of Connect HD (your PC is faster than that.) Which version of Connect HD are you running? The CineForm version comes with a faster MPEG decoder -- shortening the conversion times further -- Sony has licensed a different decoder (one of the reasons for the price difference.) You should be seeing more like 1.6:1 (CineForm version) and 1.8:1 (Sony version.) We are working to lower these ratios even further, so do regularly check the CineForm web site for updates. -->>>

I actually had a capture problem with the full ConnectHD version after purchasing, that was resolved by re-installing the demo version over the top....

If I capture to both m2t and CFHD the conversion times are much closer to the 1.6:1 mark. If I capture m2t only, but then decide to convert to a CFHD version as well.... that's when the speed dropped dramatically. Even I was surprised.

I'll go check for any updates.....
Steve Crisdale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 14th, 2005, 06:48 AM   #17
Inner Circle

<<<-- Originally posted by Steve Crisdale : Query on the HDV templates...

I noticed that the settings for 1080i frame rates have what I'd prefer to call an inconsistency, especially the PAL 1080i 50 which indicates frame rate as 25.

I'd always assumed that 50i was 50 interlaced fps and not 25. If I'm converting/transcoding then 25p would be something I definitely select, but to have the template set the frame rate to 25 seems rather odd and could (I haven't rendered out a test to check!!) lead to errors in the encode that might cause angst on the users part.

Just wondering if there's some bizarre miscalculation that I've made and 50i is in actual fact 25fps....?

If it is an error in the template, it may pay to change it pronto, because unsuspecting users will probably blame the FX-1 rather than digging deeper into the root cause of any stuttering playback!! -->>>

NO error mate..

The sony HDV cams (Z1 at least, not sure botu the FX1...) have a frame mode of 25frame (dont confuse it with progressive)..
this is where that 25p template is useful...
oh and to get 50i, jsut turn on interlacing..
you will see these settings/details in ur preview window
Peter Jefferson is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...