New Computer - Vegas issues - Advice needed - Page 3 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Old April 4th, 2011, 10:38 AM   #31
New Boot

Re: New Computer - Vegas issues - Advice needed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Harper View Post
Based on what Allen says RAID 1 does seem to be a good thing. I've been using Raid 0 for 15 years and just never looked at 1, it might be a newer implementation and something I've never looked at closely. It still does not replace backing up to a separate hard drive though. It could be seen that way, but I wouldn't, based on what I've read. It sounds just as fast though.

But yes, you are correct to keep it simple at this point, just use your backup drive and see how it works.
Just to clear up. RAID 1 sends the exact same information to both drives and each drive is an exact copy of each other - this is called mirroring. If one drive fails the computer automatically reads from the other one and then you can replace the failed drive and the system will recopy all of the data to it. There is no speed benefit from RAID 1 -- it is only for data protection/redundancy. Both hard drives would have to fail to lose your data. Two 500GB drives act as 1 500GB drive with backup

RAID 0 - splits the data between two hard drives in what is known as "striping" It is much faster because while one drive is writing the other is moving its write/read head and as soon as the stripe is full on the first drive it writes to the second drive. On a single drive you would write to the first stripe and then the drive has to wait for the head to move over before it can continue writing. However, now if either hard drive fails you lose every thing. Two 500GB drives act as 1 1TB drive

There is also a hybrid solution call RAID 10. This uses 4 drives -- 2 in striping and 2 that mirror the striped drives. You get the benefit of the RAID 0 striping but the security of the mirroring. Here 4 500GB drives act as one 1TB drive with backup.

There are other RAID configs but these are the most common in home systems.

On my editing system I have a 300GB Rapter (10,000 rpm) drive for OS and programs, an 80GB Rapter Scratch disk, and then 4 750GB WD Black in the RAID 10 for data files
John Isgren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 4th, 2011, 10:44 AM   #32
Regular Crew

Yes indeed. I love my Raid1 especially for my OS. I just keep going if one fails making repairs later. Lightning takes it all out unless you have it off site but thats they nature of things.

I even have an external eSATA box with two WD750RE2 drives in RAID1 for backups. I have other means of backing up also totaling 9 HDD's.
Old April 4th, 2011, 11:54 AM   #33
Regular Crew

Also, outside of the Red Preview screen problem Vegas is not saving the file or rendering it.
Robert James is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 5th, 2011, 10:28 AM   #34
Regular Crew

Further update....now Vegas says I have memory issues and to close programs. Is this because of not having second hard drive yet?
Robert James is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 5th, 2011, 10:35 AM   #35
Inner Circle

No, this is NOT because of that. I would contact sony support with this issue, if no one comes up with a suggestion.

Or you could uninstall Vegas and reinstall.

Or you could first test your memory to see if your sticks are all good, and if they are do the above.

Or you could double check your settings on your motherboard to see if the dram timings are correct, unless you don't have a custom computer, I don't remember what you have.
Old April 5th, 2011, 10:38 AM   #36
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Harper View Post
No, this is NOT because of that. I would contact sony support with this issue, if no one comes up with a suggestion.

Or you could uninstall Vegas and reinstall.

Or you could first test your memory to see if your sticks are all good, and if they are do the above.

Or you could double check your settings on your motherboard to see if the dram timings are correct, unless you don't have a custom computer, I don't remember what you have.
Thanks for the quick reply, Jeff. Here is my computer system:
*Intel Core i7 Quad-Core Socket LGA1366, 3.06Ghz, 4.8GT/s FSB, 8MB L3 Cache, 45nm
*Antec Three Hundred Gaming Case ATX 3/0/6 2xUSB Audio No PS
*Samsung SH-S223C/BEBE SATA Black 22x DVD-Writer OEM
*Western Digital Caviar Black (WD1002FAEX) 1000GB (1TB) SATA3 7200RPM 64MB Cache OEM
*Asus P6x58D-E Socket 1366 Intel x58 + ICH10R Chipset CrossfireX / 3-way SLI Triple-Channel DDR3 2000(o.c.)/1600/1333/1066Mhz 3x PCI-Express 2.0 x16 Dual GigaLAN 8-CH HD Audio 2x SATA 6Gb/s + 6x SATA 3.0Gb.s 2x USB 3.0 ATX
*Asus VE228H, 21.5" LED Widescreen monitor 1920x1080, 5ms (GtG), 10,000,000:1 (ASCR) w/speakers, VGA, DVI-D, HDMI
*Corsair Enthusiast Series TX750 V2 High Performance 750W Power Supply
*G.SKILL Ripjaws Series DDR 1600MHz (PC3-12800) 12GB (3X4GB) Triple Channel Kit
*Microsoft Windows 7 Pro 64-bit
*EVGA GeForce GTX 460 1024MB (01G-P3-1370-TR) nVidia GeForce GTX 460 Chipset (720Mhz) 1024MB (3600 Mhz) GDDR5 Dual Dual-Link DVI/Mini HDMI PCI-Express 2.0 Graphic Card

How do I test the memory sticks?
How do I see if the dram timings are correct?

Thanks again.
Robert James is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...