Need Workflow Tips and Do's & Do Nots. - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Old April 6th, 2011, 01:26 PM   #16
Trustee

Re: Need Workflow Tips and Do's & Do Nots.

Allen, I've been following along but so far the advise as been perfect except for the issue you've got because of the need to have the burned in Time Stamp. You may find some useful info if you search for deposition or legal on the forums here. There have been some discussions about it.

I don't do depositions but I do transfers from various formats so I've got a Blackmagic Design Decklink HD that allows me to have a variety of inputs (HD-SDI, HDMI, Component, Composite, S-video) and then I can capture directly to a DV-AVI or any number of other codecs I want. Something like the Decklink card could be an overkill for your application but it does give great quality since I can capture and encode to uncompressed formats.

Good luck,
Garrett
Old April 6th, 2011, 02:41 PM   #17
Regular Crew

Thanks,

Who boy overkill?!? You do some serious work.

OK, So tell me if I am correct here. Keep in mind I have to use the TS. I Firewire with my big rig Sony. I'm speaking in reference to my little GS500.

As is now I have this AV out port on my little camcorder and the cable has S-Video and composites on the other end.
I connect it via the S-Video (No Audio Needed) to the Set Top DVR and burn then take the disc to the PC.

Will it be better quality if I..................... go through a "Canopus ADVC 110" via S-Video into Vegas? If I read you guys correct dragging it off the DVD into Vegas is not optimal.

AC
Old April 6th, 2011, 03:26 PM   #18
Trustee

I don't have first hand experience with the ADVC 110 but it should give better quality than going through the DVD process you do now. It would also save you time by capturing directly in your NLE.

Have you tried the process that Edward Troxel's suggestion of using your PD 170 as a pass-through deck? You should be able to hook the GS500 into your PD 170 using the s-video or composite cable then take the firewire out of your PD 170 into Vegas for capture.

-Garrett
Old April 6th, 2011, 03:31 PM   #19
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garrett Low View Post
Have you tried the process that Edward Troxel's suggestion of using your PD 170 as a pass-through deck? You should be able to hook the GS500 into your PD 170 using the s-video or composite cable then take the firewire out of your PD 170 into Vegas for capture.-Garrett
No but I will soon. I am taking in info from all sides and loving it. I have a Canopus 110 on the way and will be looking at all suggestions here and on Edwards site.
Old April 6th, 2011, 09:17 PM   #20
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garrett Low View Post
Have you tried the process that Edward Troxel's suggestion of using your PD 170 as a pass-through deck? You should be able to hook the GS500 into your PD 170 using the s-video or composite cable then take the firewire out of your PD 170 into Vegas for capture. -Garrett
Before I attempt this and loose a FW port, I want to ask first. It seems the Sony PD170 cams often loose their firewire circuitry if not handled properly. This has made me careful to be powered down when connecting or disconnecting it. I read about this common PD170 phenom here when I was researching the cam.

So, I S-Video out of the GS500 into the PD170, Firewire out of the PD170 to the PC, put my GS500 in playback, and the PD170 in VCR? Correct?
Old April 6th, 2011, 09:56 PM   #21
Trustee

Allen, I don't have a PD 170 so I'd check with Edward to make sure. But, I do have an old TRV 900 that I use to use as a transfer deck and that's what I did. Frying the FW port is a possibility but I haven't had that problem before.

If you've already got a ADVC 110 on the way you might want to see how that does. I know with my card it came with some pretty good capture software that allowed me to tweak a lot of settings so I could optimize the picture and audio.

-Garrett
Old April 7th, 2011, 12:18 AM   #22
Trustee

frying firewire connections is more common than you'd like to think!

ALWAYS connect with camera OFF - connecting cable to camera FIRST!

DON'T force any connection!!!
Old April 7th, 2011, 07:20 AM   #23
Sponsor: JET DV

You know, it seems the simplest solution would be to buy one or two more Sony PD170 cameras and then you wouldn't have the issue or need to jump through any hoops as it does what you really need to do.
Edward Troxel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 7th, 2011, 07:44 AM   #24
Regular Crew

Heh! Yes it would Edward but I do lots of undercover or covert details and the PD170 will not stash very well.
Old April 7th, 2011, 08:13 AM   #25
Regular Crew

Never Mind - Deleted

Sorry guys. I was hoping I could delete this post.

I'm just going to wait for a Canopus 110 to arrive.

Last edited by Allen Campbell; April 7th, 2011 at 08:24 AM. Reason: Not Needed, Wanted to Delete
Allen Campbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 7th, 2011, 08:05 PM   #26
Sponsor: JET DV

No need to delete it. There's lot's of good information here that could help someone else in the future!
Edward Troxel is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...