Can Hear But Not See an .avi File. - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Old July 2nd, 2011, 12:12 PM   #16
Regular Crew

Re: Can Hear But Not See an .avi File.

Thanks, I have Aimersoft I can use but what a shame. Big dollars paid and such a simple task.

Wouldn't that be a quality hit converting it to .wmv and then editing it?
Old July 2nd, 2011, 12:48 PM   #17
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allen Campbell View Post
Wouldn't that be a quality hit converting it to .wmv and then editing it?
It might be. It all depends on how it is converted. If all the conversion requires is re-wrapping the audio and video data to a different file format (and of course the software doing the converting is aware of that), there is no degradation. If, on the other hand, it needs to be decoded and then recoded into another audio/video compression format, yes there is most likely to be some degradation of quality.

Have you tried Super? It is quite a decent format converter. It is also free. And somewhat a pain to use, and even more pain to download (if you click on the download link, it leads you to another page with another download link, and it does so several times before actually letting you download it).
Adam Stanislav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 3rd, 2011, 06:11 AM   #18
Sponsor: JET DV

WMV is not a good editing format. You'd be better converting it to a format that is not so highly compressed.
Edward Troxel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 3rd, 2011, 10:48 AM   #19
Regular Crew

Thanks Edward And The Rest Of You Guys,

I guess I'm going to be resolved with the fact that I will need a middle man program between my Spy DVR and Vegas. And it is not so bad as it being the ONLY .avi I have problems with. And no wonder it being a cheap-o Chinese MFG unit.

My biggest fear is pushing you guys too hard for the simple stuff and getting ignored and generating roll-eyes every time I post. That said I need just one more. I have Googled but cannot find a SIMPLE chart showing a compression rate comparison between video formats so I can choose as in Edwards last reply.

So I want to share about the DVR. Maybe one of you seasoned veterans will get one and solve it one day. I am a professional investigator and go undercover at times to get footage of cheaters, thieves, embezzlers, etc, and to covertly record videos of interviews with subjects. The market is flooded with these Key Fob DVRs'. They are cheaply built and fragile, require optimum to a tad less than optimum lighting conditions and the audio is Superbly Sensitive. You can leave them in a room and return to get your feelings hurt when you listen to what they said after you left, or record their side of a phone call conversation. The batteries last an hour or so filling a 4GB MSD card. Over charge it more than an hour or so and she will swell apart.The best one to get is a Version #3 on eBay from eletoponline365.
Version #3 has the best image quality and less dropped frames (on Class 4 cards or better) of all the other versions so far.
When I post this I am going over to the boys on www.chucklohr.com and see if I can get some understanding about my trouble. There is more than you want to know about the DVR there.
We have a shoe box full of these DVR's because of the success rate and costs. They have solved many a mystery and ruined many a plot saving clients mega dollars and from bad circumstances. Of course we have more sophisticated gear for lower light but at a premium.

Thanks Again
Old July 3rd, 2011, 11:02 AM   #20
Regular Crew

One more Chance. Maybe you guys can see what I need in the DVR's codec info I found here.

So please go there and scroll down just a little to the 3 column chart under the DVR's closeup image and choose the "Sunplus Technology and Codecs" link.

Maybe you will see something I need to know?
Old July 3rd, 2011, 07:17 PM   #21
Major Player

Hi Allen,
try the solution that worked for me here:
http://www.dvinfo.net/forum/what-hap...imeline-3.html
it's a temporary fix by using a trial version of cineform's neoscene. This installs the codec to use in VDub to convert your avi to an editable file in Vegas. This is the workaround I had to use for my cheap little flip out video camera. I only have to use this if I want to retain the 1920x1080.

If I want to settle for 1280x720, I use Windows Movie Maker to convert it for me.

I totally agree with the sentiment that anything a free, bundled software can do ought to be a breeze for a $700 program.
Sam Houchins II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 4th, 2011, 09:36 PM   #22
Regular Crew

Thanks,

I am so green if I research and read terms I cannot understand or have not heard before it buries me. Then I have to take the time of a college degree to back up and get the definitions of the terms and so the story goes each time I see a term for the first time.

So maybe you can help me with a simple one. As in my OP:

* I have an .avi file that Vegas will no cooperate with.
* I have a converter program called Aimersoft.
* What is the suggested format that I convert the .avi file to that will effect the quality the least?

Thanks
Old July 6th, 2011, 04:04 AM   #23
Major Player

sry Allen, I was addressing your OOP from p.1
I don't know what options Aimersoft gives you.
Can it just repackage it for you as another avi, same resolution?
Old July 6th, 2011, 08:23 AM   #24
Regular Crew

I tried that and Vegas messaged me it could not be opened. So its worse. I have a feeling Aimersoft is not one of the best file converters.
I'm working on trying some of the suggestions here.

Where are the codecs stored or installed in Windows 7?
Old July 6th, 2011, 09:00 AM   #25
Major Player

sry if I've missed it,
but have you tried using windows movie maker to convert it? That's worked for me to convert < 1920x1080 clips that I can then import into Vegas...
Old July 6th, 2011, 09:06 AM   #26
Regular Crew

Thanks, I'm fishing for what you seasoned users would do. So if you have a avi that will not play in Vegas you would convert in WMM eh? I'll look at it. I'm interested in the quality hit too.
Old July 6th, 2011, 10:01 AM   #27
Major Player

I can't do "seasoned," lol, but...
I see your clip is 720x480, so using Windows Movie maker, bundled with Vista:
import clip into Movie Maker
drag the clip to its timeline
"publish to computer"
choose "More settings"
DV-AVI, 720x480,
or
WMV DVD Quality
or
etc, from drop down menu options
Allow to render
open new file in Vegas
enjoy
Ponder again why $700 Vegas doesn't do this
move on
Attached Thumbnails
Can Hear But Not See an .avi File.-wmm-screen-snip.jpg  

Last edited by Sam Houchins II; July 6th, 2011 at 01:40 PM.
Old July 6th, 2011, 10:23 AM   #28
Regular Crew

Your Right. Time to move on. I am diligent as required in my profession but I'll have to let go here moving it to the Cold Case files.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...