shooting for web - need help with AVCHD at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Old October 24th, 2011, 04:41 PM   #1
Major Player

shooting for web - need help with AVCHD

hi there
I am recently shooting music lesson for the internet

can someone tell me what is the best combination of camcorder settings (I am using a Canon HF g10) and render settings?

my canon has a few Mbps settings, and typically I would have skipped the highest (24Mbps) but even at 17Mbps the file will be about 1.2GB for a 10 minutes movie (the average lenght of my clips), and it takes FOREVER to upload...

any help appreciated
Fed
Federico Perale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 24th, 2011, 05:30 PM   #2
Regular Crew

Re: shooting for web - need help with AVCHD

Are you talking Youtube? If so then imo, 24Mbps is overkill. <10Mbps, or maybe 12Mbps, should be plenty. That's if you're going straight online. If you can do some post production then it doesn't matter what your record at. Then use something much lower when you render. Best way to find out is test it. Shoot some 30 second test clips and upload them and check the quality. GL
Kawika Ohumukini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 24th, 2011, 05:38 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Federico Perale View Post
hi there
I am recently shooting music lesson for the internet
You didn't say whether you're hosting you own videos or using a service such as YouTube or Vimeo.

That said, as a general rule, I'd shoot in the highest resolution your camera can record in, and render to h.264 (.mp4) progressive. The one exception might be to record in Progessive if you camera has that format as you will encounter fewer issues if you do not have to deinterlace.

Here's some things for you to look at:

HD Video for the Web - Guide for Vegas Users

...Jerry
Jerry Amende is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 24th, 2011, 06:00 PM   #4
Major Player

Thank you so much Jerry, actually I upload mainly to YouTube

I thought about shooting at 17Mbps or 12Mbps (1920*1080)and then encoding at Sony AVC 10mbps 1280*720 which should be a good compromise?

For instructional videos such as this should I shoot 50i rather than 25p?

Last edited by Federico Perale; October 25th, 2011 at 05:24 AM.
Old October 24th, 2011, 06:50 PM   #5
Regular Crew

10Mbps 1280x720 Sony AVC should be fine. I'd suggest shooting in 25p - that way you don't have to worry about the trials and tribulations of deinterlacing.

...Jerry
Old October 25th, 2011, 01:56 AM   #6
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Federico Perale View Post
Thank you so much Jerry, actually I upload mainly to YouTube
With the new Vegas 11 you can render and upload to YouTube directly from Vegas, which will figure out the right codec and bps for you. It works a lot faster than rendering it and then uploading with a web browser. And by faster I don’t just mean the time to upload but also the time for YouTube to process it after it is uploaded.

The only problem with it is that YouTube never tells Vegas it has completed the processing, so Vegas will sit there waiting forever and will refuse to quit even when you explicitly ask it to, so you have to tell Windows to kill Vegas. But SCS will probably fix that in 11a.
Adam Stanislav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 25th, 2011, 05:24 AM   #7
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry Amende View Post
10Mbps 1280x720 Sony AVC should be fine. I'd suggest shooting in 25p - that way you don't have to worry about the trials and tribulations of deinterlacing.

...Jerry
well.. the Canon HF G10 shoots 25p in 50i, does this mean I still need to deinterlace?
Old October 25th, 2011, 05:43 AM   #8
Regular Crew

Federico,

I'm pretty sure if you set up your project properties as shown in the attached image, you should be fine. However, I'd highly recommend a short test with your camera and a test render - just to be sure.

...Jerry
Attached Thumbnails
shooting for web - need help with AVCHD-pal25p-projectproperties.png  
Old October 25th, 2011, 05:46 AM   #9
Major Player

Quote:

...Jerry
thank you Jerry, you've been most helpful...still diggin' the documents you pointed me at....
great stuff
Old October 26th, 2011, 02:06 PM   #10
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam Stanislav View Post
With the new Vegas 11 you can render and upload to YouTube directly from Vegas, which will figure out the right codec and bps for you. It works a lot faster than rendering it and then uploading with a web browser. And by faster I don’t just mean the time to upload but also the time for YouTube to process it after it is uploaded.

The only problem with it is that YouTube never tells Vegas it has completed the processing, so Vegas will sit there waiting forever and will refuse to quit even when you explicitly ask it to, so you have to tell Windows to kill Vegas. But SCS will probably fix that in 11a.
I tried this, it was easy and fast, quality at the low quality setting was very bad, but the script did terminate itself properly without having to kill.
Tom Roper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 26th, 2011, 08:47 PM   #11
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Roper View Post
the script did terminate itself properly without having to kill.
Then you were lucky. I have used it three times and had to kill it every single time.
Adam Stanislav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 26th, 2011, 10:56 PM   #12
Trustee

Hey guys,
I consider this my good deed for the day.
The following settings will let you upload HD 720p and SD 480p to Youtube WITH NO RECOMPRESSION.
In other words, when you upload, your vid is available as soon as it uploads without waiting for Youtube to recompress it.
You save bandwidth because you only give as much as they will use.
You can upload a Bluray but Youtube will compress it back to this.
You will have to adjust your frame rate to suit of course.
Profile for HD is "High" (didnt show in the pic)
These profiles come from the Sorenson Squeeze profile exchange, even though there seems to be a lot more settings in Squeeze, I transferred as much info as I could and it still works with our limited Vegas render settings.
cheers people.
:)
Attached Thumbnails
shooting for web - need help with AVCHD-hd-settings.jpg   shooting for web - need help with AVCHD-hd-audio.jpg  

shooting for web - need help with AVCHD-sd.jpg   shooting for web - need help with AVCHD-sd-audio.jpg  

Old October 27th, 2011, 04:43 AM   #13
Major Player

Quote:
You didn't say whether you're hosting you own videos or using a service such as YouTube or Vimeo.

That said, as a general rule, I'd shoot in the highest resolution your camera can record in, and render to h.264 (.mp4) progressive. The one exception might be to record in Progessive if you camera has that format as you will encounter fewer issues if you do not have to deinterlace.

Vegas-to-Vimeo Tutorial - A Better Method on Vimeo

...Jerry
that's an interesting video. one question
is the Handbrake step necessary even with clips shot in progressive?
Old October 27th, 2011, 07:01 AM   #14
Regular Crew

Hmmm... "necessary is a subjective word".

HandBrake improves upon Vegas in two areas:

1) Deinterlacing (HandBrake allows you to use the yadif deinterlace alogrithm, whereas Vegas is limited to blend or interpolate).
2) Resizing (it utilizes the Lanczos resizing alogrithm, whereas Vegas uses the bicubic or bilinear)

If you're not deinterlacing or resizing then I would think there's not much reason to use HandBrake.

...Jerry
Old October 27th, 2011, 07:26 AM   #15
Major Player

Quote:

Vegas-to-Vimeo Tutorial - A Better Method on Vimeo

...Jerry
the reason I ask is that most tutorials (including the video from Vimeo - in the "better video" assumptions it states "720p is currently a better upload medium than 1080i) invite to resize to 1280*720 for Youtube, whereas I shoot in 1920*1080 - I don't understand why, as Youtube gives the option to view videos at 1080 (where applicable).

I wonder than if I should still use method 2 ("better") simply because I need to reside, even if I shoot progressive and not interlaced.
Federico Perale is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...