DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   What Happens in Vegas... (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/what-happens-vegas/)
-   -   Photo pan and scan jumping (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/what-happens-vegas/504769-photo-pan-scan-jumping.html)

Jeff Harper February 25th, 2012 11:48 AM

Re: Photo pan and scan jumping

Right David.

Ian Stark February 28th, 2012 02:18 AM

Yep, similar situation here with a project I started in Vegas 10 and then (eventually) moved into 11. It was most noticeable on images where I had keyframed a little rotation. What confused me was that it only affected about one in twenty images (out of about 400 that had any movement). I couldn't establish any reason so I just reimported the stills and it worked fine.

Jeff Harper February 28th, 2012 07:57 AM

It happens with all my panned/scanned photos that are lengthened on the timeline, and for me it's any motion. I usually do very simple in or out zooms, slow moving motions, nothing fast at all.

Edward Troxel February 28th, 2012 09:41 AM

How about posting a VEG file that demonstrates this issue?

Ian Stark February 28th, 2012 06:13 PM

From the release notes for the latest Pro 11 release (thanks Mike K for posting):

"Fixed incorrect output that could occur when using GPU-accelerated Pan/Crop with rotation on large still images."

I wonder if this is, in fact, the problem some of us have experienced. Can't test until Thursday, sadly!

Jeff Harper February 29th, 2012 04:10 AM

I'm downloading now, and we'll see. This looks promising. I've also had issues with getting no audio with certain Sony AVC renders, and this could possibly fix that also.

Jeff Harper February 29th, 2012 04:58 AM

Edward I can't recreate the problem, very frustrating. It wouldn't go away when working on the project. To recreate it I've reopened projects, and recreated the circumstances but the same images now will not "do it".

What I did when working on the project originally was adjust the length of the photo on the timeline (shorten it) or I just eliminated the pan altogether, but when I go back now it is fine when I lengthen it.

A couple of things going on here. First I had GPU acceleration on before, and I didn't know it. I have turned it off numerous times, but somehow it was reactivated, don't know how, or what I did wrong. At any rate, the fix in the new release addresses an issue like mine when using GPU acceration, so that mystery is solved. If the GPU thing has turned itself back on somehow or if I just was not paying attention, I don't know.

Before recreating the problem I had turned off GPU, but turned it back on to recreate the issue, so maybe the bug worked itself out temporarily.

Also, I did have a small amount of rotation applied before but only slight, to straighten the image, and I had not remembered this when posting earlier, and this rotation factor is part of the bug fixed in the new release.

Long story short, with new release, and with GPU off, the problem should be resolved!

Ken Matson February 29th, 2012 05:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jeff Harper (Post 1717893)
I've also had issues with getting no audio with certain Sony AVC renders, and this could possibly fix that also.

I have this problem - let us know if this update fixes it.

Kevin Janisch March 13th, 2012 04:18 PM

Hi Jeff,

What version of Vegas are you using, 11?

Jeff Harper March 14th, 2012 05:19 AM

Yes, 11. Photo jumping thing is fixed with new release. Random crashing has stopped, running perfectly. Audio thing I don't know yet, haven't tried it.

Kevin Janisch March 15th, 2012 03:36 PM

Thanks Jeff. Glad all is working now. I ask more for my own reasons as I'm rock stable with 8.0c on XP and have been considering upgrading since my Core 2 Duo Laptop video card has died but man I don't want to go through the headache of getting everything stable again with a new OS (Windows 7) and Vegas 11. I don't know what new "features" may bite me in the rear.

Jeff Harper March 15th, 2012 09:44 PM

I love Windows 7, have been running since a year before it was released. XP was great, but my goodness, that was like 5 years ago or so, then Vista I think.

At any rate, Windows 7 is awfully stable, and Vegas 11 seems perfect now , at least for me.

Good luck with your decision!

Kevin Janisch March 16th, 2012 02:32 PM

Thanks for the info Jeff! I think I'll be able to hold off for a little longer (my laptop was repairable for under $100 from a reputable shop in NY) as I have too many projects in the pipeline to go through the growing pains at this point. Proxy files using Vasst Gearshift allows me to continue using 32bit everything for the time being but I look forward to the day of being able to edit with the gorgeous native files in realtime down the line. Do you get real time performance from your GH2 files? 60P? I've recently paired a GH2 with a TM900 and pretty much shoot 60P exclusively with the TM. I do hope a hack for 60P at 1080 for the GH2 comes our way soon, but I suspect the "GH3" will have this feature out the gate.

Jeff Harper March 16th, 2012 02:52 PM

Kevin, glad you got your machine repaired, will save you a bundle.

Jeff Harper March 18th, 2012 08:28 AM

I need to add that I have been a naysayer regarding GPU acceleration, but just tried it for the first time with new release, and it makes a huge difference in playback with my multicamera playback! Finally!

So to anyone I've told to forget the GPU thing, I now admit it does work, at least with my GTX 460SE, I'm impressed and almost tempted to spring for an even better video cards.

I made no changes to my system but to install the latest release, so whatever the previous problem was it was fixed by the new release, at least for me.

For rendering, I'm still probably going to turn if off, but for editing/preview I'm a believer.