Exceeded maximum file size for format? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Old October 9th, 2013, 05:44 AM   #1
Inner Circle

Exceeded maximum file size for format?

Anyone come across this message before?

"An error occurred while creating the media file xxxxxxxx.avi. The file being rendered has exceeded the maximum size allowed for the selected format."

Context: rendering an hour long segment of video (source is AVCHD from a Panasonic AF101) to PAL widescreen DV. I'm rendering to the same NTFS drive that I have successfully rendered this project to several times already. Using Vegas Pro 12 build 714 (will upgrade to latest build when this project is complete, before anyone suggests it :-)).

Any thoughts?

Last edited by Ian Stark; October 10th, 2013 at 04:25 AM. Reason: Mistakenly typed 726 instead of 714
Ian Stark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 9th, 2013, 05:50 AM   #2
Inner Circle

Re: Exceeded maximum file size for format?

Update: I see someone on this forum reported a similar issue back in 2009 with Vegas 9, but there didn't seem to be a definitive solution. Just wondering if anyone has had any more luck?

http://www.dvinfo.net/forum/what-hap...-avi-file.html
Old October 9th, 2013, 09:32 AM   #3
Major Player

Do you have checked the Create an OpenDML (AVI version 2) compatabile file checkbox?
Juris Lielpeteris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 9th, 2013, 09:35 AM   #4
Inner Circle

Tried it both ways. Same result. Not sure why that would throw this message up though?

EDIT: See my post #6 below. I think I must have used the template with OpenDML turn OFF the first time, then used the template with it turned ON, but stupidly unchecked it, thinking I was doing the opposite of what I'd done before. Confused? Same here :-)

Last edited by Ian Stark; October 9th, 2013 at 11:10 AM.
Old October 9th, 2013, 10:45 AM   #5
Major Player

I see this error message only when the checkbox is not checked and AVI file is lagrer than 2 GB.
Juris Lielpeteris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 9th, 2013, 11:07 AM   #6
Inner Circle

Thanks Juris. I realise what I was doing wrong now. I inadvertently used a duplicate of a template that had OpenDML checked OFF. This was for a client who was convinced that the AVI v2 video I was delivering her was causing problems (it wasn't!). I had forgotten about the 2gb limit on AVI v1 files.

In fact, I haven't rendered anything to AVI for ages now and the only reason I used that format today was because I was experiencing crashes trying to render to mpg to burn a SD DVD. I tried AVI as an intermediate format (not ideal, I know).

In the absence (at the time) of a solution to the file size issue, I decided to delve a little deeper into why mpg rendering was crashing. Long and short is that the GPU temperature was getting too high and I think it caused the render to fail. I might be clutching at straws with this, but I turned GPU acceleration off and the project rendered to mpg perfectly first time (and second time as well).

I've also just noticed a bearing starting to rattle when the GPU temp gets high (presumably when a fan kicks in). I'm now suspecting a problem with the graphics card (nvidia GTX 580).

Anyway, project completed now and therefore it must be time to update to the latest build :-). Thanks for the pointer.
Ian Stark is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...