Vegas 15 lagging at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Old October 7th, 2017, 05:20 PM   #1
Trustee

Vegas 15 lagging

I've just installed Vegas 15 and am beginning a new episode in my long running project. At this point I do not have very many tracks, or much on the time line...three Green Screen tracks with the GS turned off, and some colour gradient tracks. I've put some quite small transparent png files on the timeline and have found there is a lag of perhaps half a second behind when they are supposed to play.

I don't recall ever having a lag like this so early in an episode, though have had it on occasions in earlier versions when the project is getting stuffed full of material towards the end. It is very annoying as I can't actually fine tune my timeline by sight. I have to correlate it with the audio track which is fine in some situations but a pain in others...

I thought I would try opening the file in V14 to see if it did that same in that version but apparently I can't open v15 files in v14.

Something is snarling up the works and slowing down the processing. Any ideas on what it could be?

When I look at Options/Preferences/Video, GPU acceleration gives me no options, Apparently I have no devices which can use this.

Renton
Renton Maclachlan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 7th, 2017, 05:51 PM   #2
Major Player

Re: Vegas 15 lagging

Do you still get the lag if you remove the png files?. If the png res is too high, that could be your problem, off the top of my head.
Chris Hewitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 7th, 2017, 06:19 PM   #3
Trustee

+ 1 chris's suggestion.

what codec(s) are you using?
Old October 7th, 2017, 10:49 PM   #4
Trustee

Thanks guys.

1. I have no idea what codec I'm using...I never have...have never got a grip on codecs...
2. png resolution: The png's were produced in Illustrator and exported as png's (300dpi, though some have been 600dpi) to Photoshop, then had the canvas size changed and it seemeth the resolution ended up at 5315 x 2991...actual file sizes are quite small. I have used plenty of similar (same res though file sizes different) pngs already and they haven't, as I recall, lagged the program quite like this. The lag occurs immediately the pngs are hit. I guess the res is quite high but I have been zooming in on some of the images quite a long way, thus the high res. The images I'm using this episode will not be zoomed in on much if any...
3. My graphics card is a Nividia GEForce GTX 570. It appears in Vegas v13, but not in v14 and not in v15...so it appears I am not making use of its capabilities...
4. We fiddled with Dynamic Ram...originally 200mb, flipped it up to 2000mb, thought we got an improvement, then thought perhaps we didn't. Have 15257mb of ram available. Are there any (other) such preferences/settings that can help or hinder performance?
5. I have plenty of room on my HD...though I got it full and that slowed things up...have moved a heap of stuff off it to free up space.
6. the HD is defraged automatically...
7. I have an SSD as C drive with programs on but have my videos and graphics files on a regular HD.

Renton
Renton Maclachlan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 7th, 2017, 11:25 PM   #5
Trustee

1. I have no idea what codec I'm using...I never have...have never got a grip on codecs..

where did the camera footage originate from?
2. png resolution: .

file size is relatively unimportant - however, size can be a problem, if you're not zooming in / around much try and keep more or less relative to output, eg. hd res.

3. My graphics card is a Nividia GEForce GTX 570. It appears in Vegas v13, but not in v14 and not in v15...so it appears I am not making use of its capabilities...

not sure how much you're missing re. video card. i worked with numerous 'basic' cards on student pcs with no ill effect.

4. We fiddled with Dynamic Ram...originally 200mb,

i NEVER fiddle with dynamic ram - vegas sets it - i leave it at that.

goodluck...
Old October 8th, 2017, 02:24 AM   #6
Major Player

You found the problem yourself, Renton...."The lag occurs immediately the pngs are hit."....take the png files out and the lag will stop. That would be the number one fix for me, especially at that res!!
Chris Hewitt is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...