Vegas freezing entire computer while capturing? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Old May 11th, 2007, 05:29 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Vegas freezing entire computer while capturing?

I have this very annoying problem with Vegas 7.0...

Every time I capture a video, in the middle of the capture, the entire PC will freeze. I then have to hold the power button for 5 seconds, and turn it back on!!

How do I fix this?
Mel Abdo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12th, 2007, 06:10 AM   #2
Major Player

I captured yesterday for the first time with 7e. I've rarely had a capture problem over the years until now. My PC didn't hang, but rather the capture would just fail with a detailed message of "No combination of filters could be found to make the connection". It appeared Vegas was losing the connection with the camera.

The capture failed twice at different points with no dropped frames, and I tried rebooting in between captures. I defragged my capture drive and rebooted a third time. This time the capture work fine.

Maybe defragmenting your capture drive could help. Also, if you're not doing so, you should be capturing to a different drive than your system drive.

Dave
David Jasany is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13th, 2007, 01:32 AM   #3
Regular Crew

7.0e is buggy

I had a project come to a stand still after updating to 7.0e and have found that 7.0e, in my case with m2t Hi def files, is buggy at best and is having a problem with RAM and the preview function. I had to rollback to 7.0d. This is a problem showing up in many forums along with increased render times. I highly suggest that you rollback until Vegas releases an Update for the Update.
Chuck Biddle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13th, 2007, 03:03 AM   #4
Major Player

Have you tried capturing with something else? Try Windows Movie Maker, or another free capturing app.

The problem may not be with Vegas, but may be with a Windows Update of some sort.

I've been finding sometimes Premiere Pro completely freezes my computer during capture sometimes. Vegas seems to also. My SpeedEDIT demo didn't seem to do that, and I can't figure out why.

Eric
Eric Shepherd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20th, 2007, 08:35 AM   #5
Regular Crew

I tried capturing with external programs, such as Virtualdub, but I want to each different sequence to be separate clips, not just one huge 1 hour clip.

I'll try rolling back to 7.0d, let's see how this turns out :S
Mel Abdo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20th, 2007, 09:10 AM   #6
Regular Crew

7.0d Rock Solid

I have worked 20+ hours of HDV tape with no problems since the rollback. Sony is not owning up to their problem and is recommending work arounds that include renaming files. Hopefully we can expect someone to get fired as well as 7.0f very soon. I like that Sony adds features to new releases, but not at the expense of stability.
Chuck Biddle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20th, 2007, 09:23 AM   #7

Chuck,
Can you share how Sony tech support asked you to change file names? If it was an email document, would you share that? If you're having issues, I'm sure others are as well, and would like to be aware of the instructions you received.
http://www.vasst.com
Douglas Spotted Eagle is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...