Vegas Video discussions from 2004 (Q3Q4) - Page 87 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Closed Thread

Old October 28th, 2004, 09:10 PM   #1291
New Boot

OK Great that sounds simple enough. I will just render as an uncompressed avi then bring that into the project or if it a simple
veggie I will just copy and paste and work from there.
Thank You for all you help...
Old October 28th, 2004, 09:47 PM   #1292
Major Player

Are you saying if I hit any key while Vegas is the 'active' program, that it will abort the render?

I think I might have checked email or surfed the web a bit.

Thanks

Scott
Old October 28th, 2004, 10:29 PM   #1293
Regular Crew

Space bar, and perhaps a few more WILL certainly abort your render if Vegas has the focus.

Gary
Old October 28th, 2004, 11:49 PM   #1294
Major Player

Re: Stutter in Vegas problem

"I edited the clips down to what I wanted using the S key, If that makes a difference. can't see that it would, just thought I'd through that in there. I defrag often so I don't think it's that......"

I know this is a stupid question (and it might have been asked as I haven't read all the posts) but did you leave enough room at the beginning and end of your clips to allow for disolves etc.?

I have noticed that if I don't have enough of the clip for my disolve it will do strange things like start the clip over at the end where the disolve is.

Terry

sort of from "The Princess Bride"

www.indicam.com
Old October 28th, 2004, 11:59 PM   #1295
Major Player

Where is Stockton, UT

Cool name for your company. Where is Stockton, UT?

Interesting solultion. I have a lot to learn. I've been looking for a way to do split screens for side by side comparisons of the before and after shots using my stabilization system.

I love Vegas even thought I don't like to edit that much. I do like the end results.

Terry

sort of from "The Princess Bride"

www.indicam.com
Old October 29th, 2004, 02:17 AM   #1296
New Boot

Frame Holds!!

Hi All,
Quick question;
In Premiere, you can perfom what is called a "frame hold"...
Can you do the same thing in Vegas 4? And if so, what is the procedure/location of the ability?

Thank you!
Old October 29th, 2004, 02:45 AM   #1297
Regular Crew

Thank you for your responses, I guess there are a number of points that are encouraging me to buy a new Windows based laptop instead:

1) As Glen said, the program may be buggy and was written for P4

2) As Edward said, it may not capture/print video (which I need ;-)

3) I hate the Mac interface/environment. (I was originally taken by the smart look of the PowerBook)

Thanks!
Old October 29th, 2004, 02:52 AM   #1298
Regular Crew

What do you mean by 'frame hold'?

I assume you are referring to literally holding the image still on one particular frame (i.e freeze framing).

If so, this is easily done in Vegas.

First of all add a velocity envelope to the clip upon which you wish to perform the freeze frame. Then locate the precise frame from which you wish to freeze the motion clip. At this location, add 2 points on the envelope line and set the latter one to a speed of 0% and line it up with the previous point (please check after dragging that it is still on 0%).

This is how I usually perform this action. I'm sure there are other ways to do this.

Hope this helps!
Old October 29th, 2004, 03:01 AM   #1299
Regular Crew

I suppose the only thing you have to take into consideration whilst attempting the effect as outlined by DSE, is the movement of natural light.

For example, if you have sunlight coming in through a window, it may have changed position from when you filmed the first portion of your sequence (i.e you on the left) to the second portion (you on the right). It is likely that this may result in differences in the two halves of the picture.

You would need to make sure that there are no noticeable differences/changes in light position.

If you are shooting in a totally self lit environment, then you should have no problem, providing the lighting is not altered in any way for the two independent shots.
Old October 29th, 2004, 07:25 AM   #1300
Sponsor: JET DV

If you mean create a freeze frame, yes this can be done in a variety of ways. I use a velocity envelope and change the speed to 0% to accomplish this.

If you mean have a keyframe that holds until the next keyframe, just right-click the keyframe and choose "Hold" as the type.
Old October 29th, 2004, 07:29 AM   #1301

Re: Re: Stutter in Vegas problem

<<<-- Originally posted by Terry Thompson : I have noticed that if I don't have enough of the clip for my disolve it will do strange things like start the clip over at the end where the disolve is.

Terry -->>>

That's they beauty about Vegas. Instead of needing to keep head/tails, just overlap the clips! However, if you DO add a transition in such a way that the clips extend then you must make sure you have room to extend.

The "start the clip over" is actually optional. You can also have it "freeze the last frame". Just right-click that event, choose Properties, and UNCHECK "Loop".
Old October 29th, 2004, 07:31 AM   #1302

Once you start the render, try minimizing Vegas.

When the render is started, the "cancel" button is selected by default. If you press "TAB", it will change the focus to the checkbox on that dialog box instead so you would be less likely to accidentally stop the render. My solution is usually to either minimize Vegas or just walk away from that machine.
Old October 29th, 2004, 12:46 PM   #1303
New Boot

Hi, thank you for the replies!

A "frame-hold" is just a term used in Premiere to freeze a given frame for a lenght of time.
Instead of exporting a still frame, then re-importing it and dragging it out over the timeline, you can select a frame and tell premiere to freeze it on that frame.
You simply splice, then cut you desired frame, open your menu and select 'frame hold, in or out point', and then you now drag that one frame over the timeline for as long as you want, and it will appear to be "frozen" while playing back in realtime.

I was just trying to figure out if Vegas has the same type of command. I'm trying what you both have mentioned, but am having problems for some reason..
For some reason, after I apply a velocity envelope to my clip, I cannot adjust the speed. There's nothing for me to move around...where is that blue line that the help shows you to be able to move up and down to adjust the speed?
Old October 29th, 2004, 12:49 PM   #1304
New Boot

oops...I had the timeline up to high, so I couldn't see it.
So, I found the velocity line to change the speed.
The problem is, how do I stretch one frame over the time line?
Old October 29th, 2004, 01:06 PM   #1305
New Boot

hmmm...

I tried the "adding points" to the velocity line.

What I did was this:

1) I found my frame that I wanted to freeze
2) I then cut it and applied a velocity envelop to it
3) I made the velocity at 0% and added two points, beginning and end, both with the "hold" selection

It's not really working for me, for some reason...

All I want to do is to take a clip, divide it in two and separate them with a large gap. Then take the first half, take the *last* frame, cut it, then tell vegas that I want it to remain on the *one* frame while I drag it to fill the gap between the two main clips. Basically, making the video appear the have been frozen on that frame for a duration of time.

What am I doing wrong?
Thank you...
Closed Thread

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...