Vegas Video discussions from 2004 (Q3Q4) - Page 95 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Closed Thread

Old November 14th, 2004, 08:33 PM   #1411
Sponsor: JET DV

That's one of the new features in Vegas 5. Go to Options - Preferences and uncheck the "Allow edit cursor to be dragged" and see if it works as you expect.
Old November 15th, 2004, 02:37 AM   #1412
Wrangler

Vegas 5's improved mpeg2 encoding

I'm reading the magazine Sony mails out to learn more about my new software. (I wish I was kidding. :) Can someone explain the following in really plain language, please?

"Vegas 5 software features improved, high-quality 2-pass VBR MPEG-2 encoding for DVD...Enhancements from the previous version include 4:2:2 High profile/Main level, and Transport stream support."

Basically, are the days gone that I send nice-looking SD video through an MPEG-2 render just to be disappointed with the dvds? I'm asking because at the moment I'm finishing up a little project at home--still on Vegas 4. If there's a big enough difference I'll move it to the pc in town with V5 and put up with another nine-hour render.
Old November 15th, 2004, 04:51 AM   #1413
Regular Crew

Another Audio Question

Ok,

Let's say I have a cut from a medium shot to a close up shot.
Now the medium shot has good sound, but when I cut to the close up shot, the audio becomes different in the dialogue, louder. Is there a way to tell so that it can match. Or is it just adjusting the volume of the close up shot to the medium shot?
Old November 15th, 2004, 08:54 AM   #1414

Are you changing audio to the other camera when you switch the shots? If you are, why not let the first camera's audio continue under the second camera's video?
Old November 15th, 2004, 08:57 AM   #1415

There were several improvements made to the DVD encoder between Vegas 4 and Vegas 5. The one most people were really looking for was the ability to do 2-pass VBR. This tells the encoder to go through the video twice - once looking at the video and a second time encoding the video. This allows for a better quality encode.
Old November 15th, 2004, 11:23 AM   #1416
Regular Crew

<<<-- Originally posted by Edward Troxel : Are you changing audio to the other camera when you switch the shots? If you are, why not let the first camera's audio continue under the second camera's video? -->>>

No, the audio wasn't changed but the mic was closer to the close up shot when we shot it.

I've seen a test of what I have so far on dvd, when some scenes from medium shots cut to the character's close up shot, you can tell that the sound is louder, or more upfront. Don't know how to explain it. It just doesn't match.
Old November 15th, 2004, 01:22 PM   #1417
Major Player

This might not be the proper question on this topic, but:
what does the DVD architect do? I mean, I can use AVIs into DVDA2 and then compile the DVD but I cannot find any options on the MPEG2 encoding...
Old November 15th, 2004, 03:23 PM   #1418

You can give DVDA an AVI file and it will automatically convert it to MPEG2 and AC3 for you. However, you get much less control over the settings which is why most people recommend encoding in Vegas instead.

The real purpose of DVDA is to author the DVD (create the menus and how the items interrelate). It will then create the required files for burning to a DVD. You can then burn with it or some other program.
Old November 15th, 2004, 05:27 PM   #1419
Major Player

A/B Type editing in vegas?

I'm fooling around a bit with vegas, and so far I like what I see. I'm sure I could get used to doing all my fx transitions on one line, but is there any way to do a dissolve or something like that from one track to another? Sort of along the lines of premiere, etc?
Old November 15th, 2004, 06:22 PM   #1420
Regular Crew

Yes, you can transition between tracks, but if what your after is a more Premier-like representation, right-clik on the track header and choose Expand Track Layers.

Gary
Old November 15th, 2004, 07:23 PM   #1421
Regular Crew

Flashing Text

Hi guys,
getting my feet wet learning Vegas 5 and having a blast.

I have this instant replay i'm creating in vegas, slowing it down and it looks great. Right now it says "Instant Replay" but i thought it would be nice if it flashed. Does any here know how to make it and control the flashing speed?

Thanks
andy
Old November 15th, 2004, 08:15 PM   #1422
Major Player

Thank you! Much less cluttered to my premire trained eyes!
Old November 15th, 2004, 08:39 PM   #1423
Regular Crew

Chop up the text with the s key. Delete every other slice.

Gary
Old November 15th, 2004, 09:30 PM   #1424

Kevin, keep trying as a single track too. Eventually you'll come to see how cluttered having TWO tracks when you only need ONE really is!
Old November 16th, 2004, 04:11 AM   #1425
Regular Crew

cAN'T find the "s" key

Funny, i looked for the "slice" feature but i couldn't find it. So i did an index search and nothing came up. Does Vegas use another word maybe? Right now i'm using the media generator for the text (the one named "text" in the left pane). Can this be sliced?

thanks,
tim

<<<-- Originally posted by Gary Kleiner : Chop up the text with the s key. Delete every other slice.

Gary -->>>
Closed Thread

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...