Vegas Video discussions from 2004 (Q3Q4) - Page 98 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Closed Thread

Old November 18th, 2004, 07:13 PM   #1456
Sponsor: JET DV

Turn on ripple editing, select it to ripple EVERYTHING, select the dead space, and press delete.
Old November 18th, 2004, 07:18 PM   #1457

You cannot set individual keys for the individual tools within Excalibur in version 3. This is something that is being looked at for the next version.
Old November 18th, 2004, 07:20 PM   #1458

1, 2, and 3 ARE used for jumping to markers. For example, to go to marker #3, you would press 3. To go to marker #23, you would press 23 on the top of the keyboard. So, yes, they ARE used. However, if you never used that functionality there's no reason why you can't use them for this. Personally, I used something like CTRL-ALT-1 which WASN'T assigned to something else.
Old November 18th, 2004, 07:21 PM   #1459
Major Player

Thanks Ed, won't that connect all the little scattered segments I have on tracks below? I need everything to move 'left' but all at their current position with respects to the main track?
Old November 19th, 2004, 06:39 AM   #1460

That should move everything to the right of the gap by the exact same amount left. I won't "connect al the little scattered segments" - they'll simply be moved left.
Old November 19th, 2004, 07:38 PM   #1461
Major Player

Misfire-like plugins?

MB for Vegas doesn't (as far as I can tell) have the misfire plugin. Can anyone recommend any techniques or plugins for similar effects? Free plugins would be great, but any info would be great.
Old November 19th, 2004, 09:04 PM   #1462

What's a "misfire" plugin?
Old November 19th, 2004, 09:25 PM   #1463
Major Player

From Red Giant's Website:
Misfire film damage back

Offers 13 different film characteristics, including popular tool like grain, splotches, and scratches—as well as projection artifacts like flicker and gate weave. Misfire’s use of custom damage resources accurately mimics damage of old film. In addition, to a master plug-in with 14 categories of control, individual plug-ins for all 14 effects are included in the package.

* Includes 14 different plug-ins for adding damage characteristics
* Enables users to quickly build old film looks with simple controls
* Works with both 8 and 16-bit/channel footage
* Supports After Effects, Final Cut Pro, and Premiere Pro.

The main Misfire plug-in offers controls for Fading, Funk, Splotches, Dust, Flicker, Vignette, Displacement, Grain, and 3 different types of scratches, Microscratches, Basic Scratches and Deep Scratches. Each category of effect can be turned off individually using the category switch. All of these effects are also offered as individual plug-ins.
Old November 19th, 2004, 09:42 PM   #1464

The built-in film effects plugin can do a lot of those effects. There's also other possible tools such as Boris. I don't know exactly what effects it includes in this nature. Not sure if Pixelan offers anything of this nature.
Old November 19th, 2004, 11:22 PM   #1465
Wrangler

rip video off DVD in Vegas 5

Does Vegas 5 have any tools for ripping video and audio off a DVD?

Thanks!
Old November 20th, 2004, 05:55 AM   #1466
Trustee

I've found that the built in Film Effects filter in Vegas gives all the damage effects you'll need. I don't even bother with FilmFX anymore within AE as a result.
Old November 20th, 2004, 06:29 AM   #1467

Nothing specifically "built in". You can take the VOB files and drop then directly on the timeline. This may or may not give you audio as Vegas won't accept AC3 audio. If you don't get audio, you'll need to use some other program (such as besweet) to convert the audio back to WAV.
Old November 20th, 2004, 12:54 PM   #1468
Major Player

I like the scratches......thanks for the tip! What about doing vingetting? Any way to replicate light exposure type effects (film door light leak, beginning/end of magazime flashing) from within vegas?
Old November 20th, 2004, 06:24 PM   #1469
Wrangler

Hmm, it was a no-go.

Any reccomendations for a dedicated program to rip the video and audio from a DVD? My budget is about $50.
Old November 20th, 2004, 07:22 PM   #1470
Regular Crew

water transition

Using Vegas 4- Is there any way to produce a wave/water transition? For instance- to go from one clip, one title, one logo to another with a water transition or dissolve. Hope I'm clear.
Closed Thread

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...