DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   What Happens in Vegas... (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/what-happens-vegas/)
-   -   Vegas Video discussions from 2004 (Q3Q4) (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/what-happens-vegas/98077-vegas-video-discussions-2004-q3q4.html)

Edward Troxel November 14th, 2004 08:33 PM

That's one of the new features in Vegas 5. Go to Options - Preferences and uncheck the "Allow edit cursor to be dragged" and see if it works as you expect.

Lorinda Norton November 15th, 2004 02:37 AM

Vegas 5's improved mpeg2 encoding

I'm reading the magazine Sony mails out to learn more about my new software. (I wish I was kidding. :) Can someone explain the following in really plain language, please?

"Vegas 5 software features improved, high-quality 2-pass VBR MPEG-2 encoding for DVD...Enhancements from the previous version include 4:2:2 High profile/Main level, and Transport stream support."

Basically, are the days gone that I send nice-looking SD video through an MPEG-2 render just to be disappointed with the dvds? I'm asking because at the moment I'm finishing up a little project at home--still on Vegas 4. If there's a big enough difference I'll move it to the pc in town with V5 and put up with another nine-hour render.

Matt Woodson November 15th, 2004 04:51 AM

Another Audio Question

Ok,

Let's say I have a cut from a medium shot to a close up shot.
Now the medium shot has good sound, but when I cut to the close up shot, the audio becomes different in the dialogue, louder. Is there a way to tell so that it can match. Or is it just adjusting the volume of the close up shot to the medium shot?

Edward Troxel November 15th, 2004 08:54 AM

Are you changing audio to the other camera when you switch the shots? If you are, why not let the first camera's audio continue under the second camera's video?

Edward Troxel November 15th, 2004 08:57 AM

There were several improvements made to the DVD encoder between Vegas 4 and Vegas 5. The one most people were really looking for was the ability to do 2-pass VBR. This tells the encoder to go through the video twice - once looking at the video and a second time encoding the video. This allows for a better quality encode.

Matt Woodson November 15th, 2004 11:23 AM

<<<-- Originally posted by Edward Troxel : Are you changing audio to the other camera when you switch the shots? If you are, why not let the first camera's audio continue under the second camera's video? -->>>

No, the audio wasn't changed but the mic was closer to the close up shot when we shot it.

I've seen a test of what I have so far on dvd, when some scenes from medium shots cut to the character's close up shot, you can tell that the sound is louder, or more upfront. Don't know how to explain it. It just doesn't match.

Cosmin Rotaru November 15th, 2004 01:22 PM

This might not be the proper question on this topic, but:
what does the DVD architect do? I mean, I can use AVIs into DVDA2 and then compile the DVD but I cannot find any options on the MPEG2 encoding...

Edward Troxel November 15th, 2004 03:23 PM

You can give DVDA an AVI file and it will automatically convert it to MPEG2 and AC3 for you. However, you get much less control over the settings which is why most people recommend encoding in Vegas instead.

The real purpose of DVDA is to author the DVD (create the menus and how the items interrelate). It will then create the required files for burning to a DVD. You can then burn with it or some other program.

Kevin James November 15th, 2004 05:27 PM

A/B Type editing in vegas?

I'm fooling around a bit with vegas, and so far I like what I see. I'm sure I could get used to doing all my fx transitions on one line, but is there any way to do a dissolve or something like that from one track to another? Sort of along the lines of premiere, etc?

Gary Kleiner November 15th, 2004 06:22 PM

Yes, you can transition between tracks, but if what your after is a more Premier-like representation, right-clik on the track header and choose Expand Track Layers.

Gary

Tim Kay November 15th, 2004 07:23 PM

Flashing Text

Hi guys,
getting my feet wet learning Vegas 5 and having a blast.

I have this instant replay i'm creating in vegas, slowing it down and it looks great. Right now it says "Instant Replay" but i thought it would be nice if it flashed. Does any here know how to make it and control the flashing speed?

Thanks
andy

Kevin James November 15th, 2004 08:15 PM

Thank you! Much less cluttered to my premire trained eyes!

Gary Kleiner November 15th, 2004 08:39 PM

Chop up the text with the s key. Delete every other slice.

Gary

Edward Troxel November 15th, 2004 09:30 PM

Kevin, keep trying as a single track too. Eventually you'll come to see how cluttered having TWO tracks when you only need ONE really is!

Tim Kay November 16th, 2004 04:11 AM

cAN'T find the "s" key

Funny, i looked for the "slice" feature but i couldn't find it. So i did an index search and nothing came up. Does Vegas use another word maybe? Right now i'm using the media generator for the text (the one named "text" in the left pane). Can this be sliced?

thanks,
tim

<<<-- Originally posted by Gary Kleiner : Chop up the text with the s key. Delete every other slice.

Gary -->>>