Vignette problem - Page 43 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old March 17th, 2008, 09:27 PM   #631
Trustee

Thanks Lenny,
I had originally wrote wide open, but wondered if some would confuse the less DOF from a landscape shot at full wide & f1.9, with a BF issue.

Then again, at full wide the DOF will be fairly large even at f1.9.

I'll change my destructions. ;)

Last edited by Steven Thomas; March 17th, 2008 at 10:04 PM.
Steven Thomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 17th, 2008, 10:52 PM   #632
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis Joseph View Post
For North American users wanting to contact Sony about any vignetting or backfocus call 1-800-883-6817, option 2-5-2
I tried this yesterday and got a totally vapid guy who mouthed platitudes about Sony's excellent support. Totally useless. I will call again and hope to have better luck.
Leonard Levy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 18th, 2008, 02:46 AM   #633
Regular Crew

Firmware update does not fix backfocus problem!

All the talk about the new firmware version made me check what version my camera coming back from repair has.
It now has V1-05-0405 whereas the loaner camera has V1.03-0351.

It looks like they already used the new software for the repair, and it did not fix it at all...

regards,
Gerald - still boiling!
Gerald Loidl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 18th, 2008, 03:47 AM   #634
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerald Loidl View Post
All the talk about the new firmware version made me check what version my camera coming back from repair has.
It now has V1-05-0405 whereas the loaner camera has V1.03-0351.

It looks like they already used the new software for the repair, and it did not fix it at all...

regards,
Gerald - still boiling!
Hi

maybe you should call Sony and ask for the differences. I checked my firmware last week and I'm in 0351 too.
Do you still have the "green screen" when changing recording mode, or going to expand focus ?
Sebastien Thomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 18th, 2008, 01:09 PM   #635
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sebastien Thomas View Post
Hi

maybe you should call Sony and ask for the differences. I checked my firmware last week and I'm in 0351 too.
Do you still have the "green screen" when changing recording mode, or going to expand focus ?
What's the situation with the green screen? Is it normal or a problem?
Dennis Joseph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 18th, 2008, 04:38 PM   #636
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis Joseph View Post
What's the situation with the green screen? Is it normal or a problem?
don't know, it's just anoying, i would love to have this fixed, even if it's not a problem to live with.
Sebastien Thomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 20th, 2008, 06:41 AM   #637
Regular Crew

Just received SN 101789, and I am seeing the vignette issue. Has anyone had any luck with the backfocus adjustment? I just got the camera, I'd hate to send it back already. As far as the green screen flash it is fairly normal, at least in my experience (EX1, F900, Panavision Genesis, Arri D20, etc.). It's always to varying degrees and sometimes just a band instead of a full green frame, but I'm pretty sure it's a function of the processors losing signal temporarily while it switches modes. Sony could probably write in a code to flash to black, instead of green/noise.

-Sean
Sean Donnelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 20th, 2008, 07:16 AM   #638
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sebastien Thomas View Post
Yes the green screen is still there, but I think thats pretty normal. Iīve seen it on other camera types too - nothing to worry about.
Old March 20th, 2008, 07:31 AM   #639
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean Donnelly View Post
Just received SN 101789, and I am seeing the vignette issue. Has anyone had any luck with the backfocus adjustment? I just got the camera, I'd hate to send it back already. As far as the green screen flash it is fairly normal, at least in my experience (EX1, F900, Panavision Genesis, Arri D20, etc.). It's always to varying degrees and sometimes just a band instead of a full green frame, but I'm pretty sure it's a function of the processors losing signal temporarily while it switches modes. Sony could probably write in a code to flash to black, instead of green/noise.

-Sean
I'm surprised you got a s/n in the 1000 range being so late in the game. Where did you purchase it from? At this point everyone should be getting 4000+
Dennis Joseph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 20th, 2008, 07:37 AM   #640
Regular Crew

I was surprised as well. It actually came from a reputable authorized sony distributor in NYC that I don't think I can mention here because they're not part of the DVInfo preferred vendor list.
Old March 20th, 2008, 02:20 PM   #641
Regular Crew

Hellow guys!, How kan I see witch version of the software I have in camera?
Mine is 401038 ;) whith no problems until now. :)
Alfredo Silva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 20th, 2008, 04:47 PM   #642
Regular Crew

hold sel/set (the select roller) and cancel while pressing the menu button. There should now be three extra menu options. The last one is the info page, which will tell you the FW version.

-Sean
Old March 20th, 2008, 05:19 PM   #643
Regular Crew

Great! thanks Sean!
Alfredo Silva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 21st, 2008, 07:27 AM   #644
Regular Crew

A high Sony sales representative today came by to hand over a brand new EX1 to me, as Sony prime support does not have any exchange cameras and no more loaner cameras. They just cant find out whatīs wrong with my cameras back focus.
To make the story short:
The new camera has the backfocus problem as well - and this time I performed the test in front of the Sony guy.
He was surprised and then pulled out one of the demo cameras he had with him, only to find out that it has the same issue. Nobody ever noticed this problem before. Looks like most people did not use the ND filter??
In the meantime I think that all EX1 have this issue, maybe people do not test good enough to see if their camera has this problem. In the last 7 weeks I had 5 cameras with the same issue going through my hands! This canīt be any coincident!
Anyways - he took all the cameras with him and will show it to his technicians and can hopefully present a working camera to me soon. Its now almost 7 weeks since I bought my camera.
It looks like they did not test their cameras closely enough.
Iīm still boiling! This camera was the worst investment I have ever made, and I always was a big Sony fan...
Old March 21st, 2008, 07:44 AM   #645
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerald Loidl View Post
A high Sony sales representative today came by to hand over a brand new EX1 to me, as Sony prime support does not have any exchange cameras and no more loaner cameras. They just cant find out whatīs wrong with my cameras back focus.
To make the story short:
The new camera has the backfocus problem as well - and this time I performed the test in front of the Sony guy.
He was surprised and then pulled out one of the demo cameras he had with him, only to find out that it has the same issue. Nobody ever noticed this problem before. Looks like most people did not use the ND filter??
In the meantime I think that all EX1 have this issue, maybe people do not test good enough to see if their camera has this problem. In the last 7 weeks I had 5 cameras with the same issue going through my hands! This canīt be any coincident!
Anyways - he took all the cameras with him and will show it to his technicians and can hopefully present a working camera to me soon. Its now almost 7 weeks since I bought my camera.
It looks like they did not test their cameras closely enough.
Iīm still boiling! This camera was the worst investment I have ever made, and I always was a big Sony fan...
I think you guys are having a major issue out in the Austrian region to be honest with you.
Dennis Joseph is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds