Vignette problem - Page 34 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old February 26th, 2008, 09:41 AM   #496
Major Player

Yes, but does anyone think a Sony rebuild is as good as or better than taking a chance on a new one?
Michael H. Stevens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 26th, 2008, 09:58 AM   #497
Inner Circle

It seems Sony will make that decision and make it honestly.

As noted in another thread I had an issue with zoom control (slow zoom speeds stepping rather than smooth). Sony told me they first tried to "upgrade" the lens and weren't happy with the results so they send me a new camera.

The vignette issue apparently just involves a re-calibration and my hunch is that's accessed from the mysterious front lens port on the camera. See "Cover of the lens control block" on diagram on page 15 of the manual.

If you have the Vignette issue do send in the camera. I do think a few here have said they were not happy with the results when they got the camera bank and I think in those cases Sony may have then replaced the camera.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael H. Stevens View Post
Yes, but does anyone think a Sony rebuild is as good as or better than taking a chance on a new one?
Craig Seeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 26th, 2008, 10:45 AM   #498
Trustee

Craig,
I'm sure you've heard I sent my first one back and it came back the same (maybe a tad worse).

There was NO information regarding they had an issue adjusting my camera.

My replacement camera is better, but does show vignetting between 8-25mm in the top two corners with OIS off.

I'm thinking about contacting Sony again regarding this issue.
Did Sony replace the camera, or was it done through your dealer?

I'm done bothering my dealer regarding this issue. They worked hard at getting me a replacement camera. I'm going to contact Sony regarding this issue with my replacement camera.
Steven Thomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 26th, 2008, 11:03 AM   #499
Inner Circle

Sony, San Jose replaced it.

When I first called Sony tech support they said to send them the camera rather than bring it back to my dealer.

A few days after sending it I called for an update. I strongly recommend calling for an update rather than simply waiting for the camera to come back.

Just my opinion but I think it's good to let them know you're looking over their shoulder even if it's just by phone.
Old February 26th, 2008, 11:41 AM   #500
Inner Circle

OK, so I spotted it today - almost four weeks after I had decided "it's not obvious, so even if it's there I'm not gonna look for it", I saw the vignetting in the upper right corner, during a rather fast pan to the right, with OIS on.

I guess all of them have it to some degree, under specific circumstances.

I will certainly be sending mine to Prime Support, but only after all the dust settles down. I have 2 years for that - and before the warranty end, I'd be getting an overhaul, anyway.

Who knows, maybe by then, Sony will have devised some really effective remedies to the most annoying flaws, like:

- the vignetting, however small and unobtrusive it is on a particular unit
- the stupid ND filter switch
- the silly aperture open-up at switching to auto iris, which is there for 1-2 frames only but annoys me more than the CMOS-inherent, partial flashes
- the "abrupt highlights clipping" problem

If they can't fix in existing cameras, I will insist for replacement then. Makes much more sense to me than having it replaced now, with another unit that might turn out worse in some aspects.

None of the above is a show-stopper to me for a while, yet all of them are below the standards I'd expect from a CineAlta badged, professional machine.
Old February 26th, 2008, 02:29 PM   #501
Trustee

I believe the worse cameras are the ones showing the vignetting with OIS off.
Steven Thomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 27th, 2008, 08:19 AM   #502
Major Player

My cameras gone to Sony today to be looked at by one of their technicians. I have to say that the product manager who contacted me about the issues has been very helpful indeed.

Paul.
Old February 27th, 2008, 12:43 PM   #503
Regular Crew

Paul,
you really can be lucky.
Sony promised me that the repair would be done in 3-4 days before I sent the camera to them.
As it still did not arrive after one week I called them and they did not know anything about my camera but promised to call me back with more info.
As I did not hear from them for another 24 hours I called again. Again they promised to find out whats going on and swore they would call me back asap. That was 36 hours ago. I will call again tomorrow and won´t be very polite this time... I bought this camera to earn money with it and now will have to rent a camera for my jobs. Doesn´t Prime Support promise that one would get a replacement camera while your´s is at repair?
I´m pretty p*s*ed at the moment... :-(

regards,
Gerald

Last edited by Gerald Loidl; February 27th, 2008 at 12:44 PM. Reason: bad english...
Gerald Loidl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 27th, 2008, 02:22 PM   #504
Inner Circle

When I was dealing with Sony San Jose,CA USA they told me they had a backlog. I wonder if this might be the case given certain issues.

They actually put me on hold on the phone while they checked. When they finally determined they would replace the camera that did take a few more days because they said it would take time to get the OK to do that.

I would keep after them though. Even if it's a report that they haven't gotten to your camera yet (as they did when I first called them) would at least give you something.

Sony was very good at answering my questions on the phone.
Old February 27th, 2008, 02:44 PM   #505
Regular Crew

Thanks Craig,
Iīm in Europe and my camera was sent to France. Looks like they are working differently over here :-(
The only information I could get so far was that the camera arrived at the repair center last tuesday - more than a week ago... They also put me on hold at the first call only to tell me that they could not find out anything, but assured me to call me back asap with more info.

regards,
Gerald
Old March 1st, 2008, 05:21 AM   #506
Regular Crew

As my camera still is not repaired, Sony now sent me a rental camera.
This camera has a massive problem with back focus and a vignetting issue on 3 corners. The camera they sent me now is brand new and its serial# starts with 40... like mine. I canīt believe that they are still sending out cameras with quality problems... I think if they return my camera and it still has issues I might ask for a refund and return the whole mess.

Iīm glad I did not sell all my old SD cameras yet.

regards,
a frustrated Gerald
Old March 1st, 2008, 05:25 AM   #507
Trustee

That's terrible! back focus? how can the back focus be out?! That's a terrible loan camera. Have you complained. They should send you a better one out ASAP.

I am sorry you are having such bad luck. I feel embarrassed that the two I have exhibit no problems whatsoever. Keep faith, it will be worth it in the end. I promise!
Old March 1st, 2008, 06:09 AM   #508
Major Player

I wish I could agree Phil but my experience this week has confirmed my suspicion that Sony are turning a blind eye to this problem. In my opinion they have decided that centering the lens limits it to a degree so will perform that fix, but any questions about remaining light fall off are met with "it's normal".

After prime support said that the problems on my camera were not due to lens alignment and so are "normal" I spoke to one of the product managers who I met at the video forum show. Upon seeing my footage he agreed that the camera needed to be looked at and arranged for it to be picked up the next day by courier.

After receiving the camera and having technicians check it out they said that they could not see any problems at all and that the lens on my camera had previously been re-aligned in their lab prior to being sent to the dealer, so there was nothing further they could do.

I can understand them not being able to do anything further if it's a design issue, but to say that they cannot see the problem is very frustrating.

I got the camera back the next day so I'm very happy with the speedy way they looked into it, it's just a shame that they will not admit that there is still a problem with the camera. If this is a limitation of the lens then I can live with it, but in essence I'm being told that I'm imagining the problem, make up your own mind...

http://www.olikai.com/shake.mov
http://www.olikai.com/ois.mov

Paul.

Last edited by Paul Joy; March 1st, 2008 at 10:50 AM.
Paul Joy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 1st, 2008, 06:24 AM   #509
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil Bloom View Post
That's terrible! back focus? how can the back focus be out?! That's a terrible loan camera. Have you complained. They should send you a better one out ASAP.

I am sorry you are having such bad luck. I feel embarrassed that the two I have exhibit no problems whatsoever. Keep faith, it will be worth it in the end. I promise!
Phil,
I havenīt complained yet, but I definitely will. When I zoom in and focus and zoom out again the picture looks very blurry, especially when the aperture is wider open. My camera did not show this problem. I will try again with a test chart this afternoon.
I always seem to have bad luck with camera purchases - all the cameras I bought in the past 15 years spent weeks at the repair shops from Sony after purchase...
Old March 1st, 2008, 09:11 AM   #510
Trustee

Wow..
Sony will have to step and and address these issues.

For a camera that cost $7,000.00 USD, we should not be stuck with defective cameras. If they can not fix it, they need to replace it.
Steven Thomas is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds