Adobe Premiere discussions from 2003 - Page 12 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Adobe Creative Suite
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Adobe Creative Suite
All about the world of Adobe Premiere and its associated plug-ins.

Closed Thread

Old April 25th, 2003, 04:32 AM   #166
Regular Crew

first thing I would do is download Sandra:

http://www.sisoftware.co.uk/index.html?dir=&location=update&langx=en&a=

This does a burn in test on your machine. Select 'burn in wizard', select all tests and put priority up full. Leave it running on a loop for two or three hours and see if your machine keels over. This will tell you if it is hardware or not (probably !).

Beware, I think there was a small issue running sandra with AMD processors. Don't know if it affects Athlon XPs. Here is section of FAQ from Sisoft website.

Q: Crash exception 0Dh in System Summary/CPU/Mainboard/Benchmarks on Athlon Model 1, 2!
Q: BSOD exception in Sandra.sys in System Summary/CPU/Mainboard/Benchmarks on Athlon Model 1, 2!
A: Upgrade to Sandra 2003 SP1 (9.32) or later. Alternatively, right-click the problem moudle, select Options and uncheck Include MSR Info.

(just in case this happens to you)

In a broader sense, I really can't see this being related to paging size files and certainly not related to how many drives you have in your system or how fast they are. In these circumstances I would be very suspicous of either hardware or a driver of some kind.

Other things to try if Sandra falls over too (in order of ease)

1. update graphics card driver
2. reseat memory
3. reseat all PCI/AGP cards
4. reseat CPU
5. check that system is not running too hot (athlons kick out loads of heat)
6. update motherboard firmware
7. the list goes on..............

Anyway, run Sandra and see what gives and report back.

simon
Old April 25th, 2003, 07:33 AM   #167
RED Code Chef

I'm thinking it is probably your power that is leaving you out. XP
should NOT hang like that or reboot. This usually happens when:

1. power is too low

2. some hardware is failing, most possible causes are memory chips, cpu and harddisk

3. one or more FANS are NOT working anymore. I've had this myself (my video card fan had died and my CPU fan was dying. Quickly replaced both)

Is this ONLY happening with Premiere or also when you are doing
other things (or perhaps nothing)?

If it only happens with Premiere than you probably have a faulty
driver (graphics card is first suspect here) or some hardware thing
that doesn't works well in combination with XP/Premiere.

Rob Lohman, visuar@iname.com
DV Info Wrangler & RED Code Chef

Join the DV Challenge | Lady X

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Buy from the best: DVinfo.net sponsors
Old April 25th, 2003, 11:33 AM   #168
Regular Crew

how do I check the paging files?
Old April 25th, 2003, 12:40 PM   #169
Major Player

RAM is a good place to look as well, depending on your mobo. I use the ASUS A7N8X= deluxe and this puppy is ultra-sensitive to the sticks you put in it. I had a wedding I was editing and I felt I need more RAM before I rendered it in Vegas and so I bought a stick of Kingston 512MB. Each time I ran vegas it would crash. Get Memtest 86 it is a through memory tester and run it for awhile to insure you don't have a memory problem. You may wnat to check you codecs under Device Manager, Hardware and Sounds, Gamecontroller check out Video Codecs and make sure that there are no problems there.

From what you've indicated, I don't know what else you have in the box, but if you have at least a 350Watt PS, this will not be a power problem, unless you have like water cooling, 4 HDD's, DVD Writer, CD Burner and >5 fans and neon lights then you may wan tot look into getting a larger powersupply.
Old April 25th, 2003, 01:12 PM   #170
Capt. Quirk

I had similar funky problems, every time I was in Premiere or Infini-D. Of course, it wasn't the program, it turned out to be my Mobo. I have a Abit KG7 Raid, and it seems to have some peculiarities, none of which are mentioned by Abit. After changing some settings in my soft menu, these problems went away. Premiere is rock solid now.

And I didn't have to settle for Vegas :)~
Old April 25th, 2003, 01:32 PM   #171
High School Student

"3. one or more FANS are NOT working anymore. I've had this myself (my video card fan had died and my CPU fan was dying. Quickly replaced both)"

Nah. It wouldn't be that if his computer restarts everytime, when he performs a particular action. If his CPU fan died, then he would know it because his CPU would be toast. :D
Old April 26th, 2003, 01:45 PM   #172
Regular Crew

Well guys nothing seems to be working. It only does it with certain raw video files. And I can't find a patern with them. It just basiclly likes some and dislikes others.
Old April 26th, 2003, 02:01 PM   #173
Regular Crew

I GOT IT!!!!!
Problem solved. It was in the playback settings. By default is set to dv playback. When I switch it to video for windows it will take what ever I throw at it. Not sure why it does this but hey, it works. Thanks for all the feedback and I will definetly try Vegas due to the popularity of it.

This place rocks!!
Old April 26th, 2003, 06:08 PM   #174
Capt. Quirk

Glad to hear it Clint! Just out of curiosity, what card are you using for video editing/capture? I've been having some problems with Premiere and my storm card working with non DV files.
Old April 27th, 2003, 04:08 AM   #175
Regular Crew

I just use a western digital firewire card. It has 3 ports. I use one for the cam and one for my external hard drive. Never have any problems with it either.
Old April 27th, 2003, 09:04 AM   #176
Regular Crew

One other thing that others reading this post might consider who've had mysterious crash problems.

I have for over a year gotten mysterious dumps of the whole system (blue-screen) or just the program disappearing, and after trying everything but coping with it somehow, I finally noticed one day that the two video drives in my Athlon Win2K system were both set to MASTER! What happened was that the manufacturer's slip that came with the Maxtor drives had a different setting for the jumpers than those printed on the drive itself! I set it by the drives' label and not one single crash since, rock-stable video editing for over a month now, from two or three crashes a day before that.

Lesson Learned: Always double check all your hardware!
Old April 28th, 2003, 02:01 PM   #177
Contributor

Premiere Timeline Problem

I am having a problem in Premiere and I can't find an answer in any of my books. At the very top of the timeline, in the area where the Work Area is designated, there is a red line if no preview exists and a blue/green line if a preview exists, right? Now below that in some areas, beneath the red or blue line, is a lighter green line that doesn't seem to necessarily correspond to anything. I am using a Canopus DV Storm 2 card setup. The reason this is important is that in some instances I am getting an AUDIO GLITCH where that lighter green line begins on the timeline. If I move clips around in the area, the light green line eventually relocates itself and the glitch goes away. I have tried eliminating the preview files, but Premiere just puts the light green line back again. Only moving the clips seems to make it go away. Can somebody give me the story on this? It's driving me crazy. Thanks.
Old April 28th, 2003, 02:56 PM   #178
Wrangler

Check your settings. You've probably got Premiere set to render audio if there are multiple audio tracks. From what I understand, the line below the normal red=render/green=rendered lines correspond to the audio tracks. I've changed the render audio settings so that Premiere won't render audio unless there are 5 or more tracks (which I never do). On my machine, Premiere has never had trouble keeping up with multiple audio tracks, so it hasn't seemed to hurt anything, and I don't get the light green lines anymore.
Old April 28th, 2003, 03:38 PM   #179
Contributor

Paul, you were absolutely right. I had applied audio filters to two of the clips and had Premiere set-up to render audio if one or more audio filters were applied. I changed it to 5 and no more light green line appeared.

Thanks for the help.

Jim
Old April 28th, 2003, 03:52 PM   #180
Regular Crew

VCD of still images; Premiere 6.5 mpeg codec

Has anyone used the Premiere 6.5 mpeg codec to create VCD output? Specifically, has anyone done this with still images imported into Premiere?

I tried this the other night and fully expected the resultant mpg file to display with zero flicker. Instead, one sees significant patches of white pixels popping into and out of the frame at areas of sharp contrast - truly ugly.

Is there a better way to manipulate stills to eliminate the flicker? Also, is there a way to apply the same edit to several stills (arranged serially on the timeline) at one time? For example, say I wanted the stills to all display for 10 seconds instead of the default 5?

Thank you,

Ron J.
Closed Thread

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Adobe Creative Suite