extreme birdsong; last push on project - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old September 16th, 2015, 05:30 AM   #16
Regular Crew

Re: extreme birdsong; last push on project

I'm definitely interested!

Really enjoying being able to "chunk" larger groups of audio and then go in for fine-tuning later. My earlier method looks pretty neurotic in retrospect. :)
Adjul Gardner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 16th, 2015, 07:04 AM   #17
Old Boot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adjul Gardner View Post
I'm definitely interested!
Yeah, well, . . . I'm not happy with tweetie-pie - has become a rusty bike chain . . . . I also removed some more White Noise

http://www.dvinfo.net/forum/attachme...1&d=1442409094

Of course, as I started cleaning-up I came across other artifacts.

I also added some SFx - iZo Ozone5 "Dramatic Width and Open Up Mid-Side" to a Brush-ed Selection - neat! Gonna use that again.

Grazie
Attached Files
File Type: wma elby2 Noisy Birdsong 1a 16 bit VP.wma (1.44 MB, 271 views)
Graham Bernard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 19th, 2015, 05:05 AM   #18
Equal Opportunity Offender

I've just listened to the original audio file.

Honestly, just tell them that the audio is terrible and to go back and do a re-shoot. If they can't then it's their problem - otherwise we're effectively subsidising their cheap sense of reality.

Andrew
Andrew Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 19th, 2015, 01:38 PM   #19
Regular Crew

Andrew...lol, if i had my time machine, I would go back in time and ream out the camera man (it was filmed 13 years ago). But also, as someone that has done a 1-man-shoot-on-a-budget for near-impossible documentary-filming situations, I can empathize. His poor work inspired my low-budget multi-microphone vector approach to mic'ing large groups.

The good news is, I learned a lot. About pop and crackles, clicks, how to remove lots of coughs and sniffs (the camera man not only laughed a lot, but sniffed even more) and those birds...

Graham: I found that the birds are best treated with RX4s attenuation from .9 -> 2.0. The solo ones can be totally removed, where the long stretches you worked on can be nicely blended into the voice...better than your bike chain at least ! :P

I ended up using a simple technique:

x26 gain on every clip in the film
apply EBU loudness over the whole clip
apply decrackle over the whole clip
Low and high cuts, 90db and a 10-14k db fade-away

From there I went in and manually removed any further clicks, coughs, sniffs, and birds. With RX4s attenuation, partials-spectral-repair-tool, declicker and occasionally just de-gaining. For hums I don't know how to identify and nail exact frequencies as well with RX4 (it tends to want to take out multi-bands) so I used Audacity to seek out hums and removed those to a greater or lesser extent.

Here's my final cut of the horrendous clip in question:

http://www.teachingdrum.org/adjul/showntell.wav

thanks for all the help...about a week away from finishing this documentary I've been working on for two years :)
Old September 21st, 2015, 12:42 AM   #20
Old Boot

Quote:
The solo ones can be totally removed, where the long stretches you worked on can be nicely blended into the voice...
You're welcome.

As to the HUM remover, I've found that the multiple harmonics can and do work very well; I can also de-group the harmonics; I also use the Spectrum Analyzer to nail a particular Harmo:http://www.dvinfo.net/forum/attachme...1&d=1442818399

I like your results and still think that RX is just plain VooDoo! - Oh, that's IT Engineer Terminology.

Grazie
Attached Thumbnails
extreme birdsong; last push on project-rx-spectrom-analyzer.jpg  
Graham Bernard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 21st, 2015, 04:27 AM   #21
Equal Opportunity Offender

Izotope RX is powered by magical electronic smoke. :-D

Andrew
Andrew Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 21st, 2015, 05:07 AM   #22
Regular Crew

Graham - thanks for pointing out the analyzer and the harmonics...simplified my workflow
Old September 21st, 2015, 07:55 AM   #23
Regular Crew

While you're at it...Graham, could you tell me if there's a key-command in RX4 that stops the playback at the last place the live-play ended at? For me, spacebar returns to the last place I clicked the cursor, and enter starts at the start of the sample.
Old September 22nd, 2015, 12:57 AM   #24
Old Boot

Quote:
While you're at it...Graham, could you tell me if there's a key-command in RX4 that stops the playback at the last place the live-play ended at? For me, spacebar returns to the last place I clicked the cursor, and enter starts at the start of the sample.
The RX solution/way is not intuitive. At the moment you/we have SPACEBAR for PLAY, that plays and then RETURNS to the same place. In RX we need to use a "TOGGLE" command to stop this happening, and that is Ctrl+R.

The SPACE Bar plays and returns, and CTRL+R stops this Return happening. Now, when we WANT to revert to the PLAY from start position to play again, we need to, again, press Ctrl+R. I think this is clunky and unnecessary User control.

Grazie
Graham Bernard is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio