GL2 & XM2 Battery / Batteries - Page 19 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon GL Series DV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon GL Series DV Camcorders
Canon GL2, GL1 and PAL versions XM2, XM1.

Old July 31st, 2006, 06:13 PM   #271
New Boot

Hope I'm not contributing to the switch. I recently bought a 4000ma from Frys, and it just would not hold a charge. After a lot of arguing, they finally swapped out for a new one. No telling what the did with the one I returned. I'm currently looking for a 6000ma+, thinking about the one that Adorama advertises as their house brand.
Terry Arnold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 6th, 2006, 07:47 PM   #272
Regular Crew

Mark's comment makes me remember my experience of my purchase of 2 3rd party batteries for my Sony Hi-8 years ago. One battery has double life time but the other one was not so good. It's like gamble.
Kenneth Tong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 19th, 2006, 03:01 AM   #273
New Boot

Off Brand BP-945

I bought 2 "generic" BP-945's made by Impact from B&H--saved about $80 all together--and that's all I've ever needed. I use my camera primarily for weddings and other events with the LCD screen open 95% of the time, and canon lights that use the battery and have never had an issue. I still have the spare battery that came with the camera but have never had to use it. And I'm talking about shooting all day-- up to 12 hours, with almost 5-6 hours of footage.
John Ekis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 19th, 2006, 09:25 AM   #274
Regular Crew

Ive been using off brand canon batterys for a while now and i have found no problem with them.
Nathaniel McInnes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 3rd, 2006, 12:47 AM   #275
Major Player

They're so cheap that you can't go wrong. If you buy one and it craps out a month later, so what... it's $20 for another. That said, I've had one of my cheap knock-off 945's for three years. I've used and recharged it 100's of times, and I've never had a single problem with it. OK, so when charging on my older CA-910 you have to jam some paper under the battery to get the contacts to touch down on the charger in order to get a charge, but so what? That might even be the charger for all I know, and it doesn't bother me in the slightest when I think about how much I saved on the battery.
Old March 17th, 2007, 04:58 AM   #276
New Boot

Off market batteries

The two constants I have heard of third parties manufacturer's batteries are:

1) The milliamp capacity ratings are estimates. There is very high variation on the actual capacity because quality control is one of the areas where third party companies save money. The BP-945 equivalent battery advertised as a 5500 mAmp battery could be as much as 6500 mAmp or as low as 3300, you just don't know for sure and usually have no guarantee.

2) Many name brand batteries have "intelligent" circuitry in the battery used to better communicate it's actual remaining energy level to the camera, and hence, the operator.

Of course, I got two off-brand batteries for my Canon GL2 when I got it, and they work just fine, but you have to watch out for junk out there.

I agree with the Amazon idea. They monitor their third party sellers pretty well to rule out junk dealers (third party dealerships, that is, not as much for used/personal sellers).
Gregg Sullivan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 17th, 2007, 06:53 AM   #277
Regular Crew

To answer your Question any Third party battery made for your XM2 should fit your camera and do no damage what so ever I have had an XM2 for 4 years have always used third party batteries and had no problems I won't pay canons exorbitant prices.

Regards Alan

Last edited by Alan Craig; March 17th, 2007 at 09:12 AM.
Alan Craig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 17th, 2007, 07:02 AM   #278
Wrangler

OEM = Original Equipment Manufacturer. That would be Canon and mean batteries sold with the Canon nameplate, no matter who makes them for Canon.

Third party batteries would have a differnt brand name on them (e.g., Lenmar, Sunpak, and generic or no names) and are sometime labeled as OEM-equivalent. They should work OK without damaging gear. But as noted in the old posts in this thread, your results may be somewhat different than with Canon batteries. Also, some OEM batteris may include automation features (e,g., remaining charge or runtime indicators) not found in third party batteries.

You pays your money and takes you choices.
Old March 17th, 2007, 09:06 AM   #279
Regular Crew

Don thanks for correction I was always led to believe that the O stood for other.

Best regards Alan
Alan Craig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 17th, 2007, 06:09 PM   #280
Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregg Sullivan View Post
The two constants I have heard of third parties manufacturer's batteries are:

1) The milliamp capacity ratings are estimates. There is very high variation on the actual capacity because quality control is one of the areas where third party companies save money. The BP-945 equivalent battery advertised as a 5500 mAmp battery could be as much as 6500 mAmp or as low as 3300, you just don't know for sure and usually have no guarantee.
You are partially right :-) they are off, but always in one direction. They usually 50%-75% of what their label claims. There are only a few good cell vendors out there: Sanyo, Panasonic, Sony. They actually deliver what the spec. calls for, and they use them for their own battery packs. Everything else is made in China, with little quality control, low price being the only goal.
The reason they can get away with this is it is hard for an average user to evaluate a battery. Reports like "it lasts long" are not very scientific...
http://www.dolgin.net
Alex Dolgin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 22nd, 2007, 12:56 AM   #281
New Boot

Luck with this Battery Kit?

Has anyone had any luck/experience with the Anton Bauer ElipZ 10k Under Camera Mounted Battery Kit for the GL1/2? It looks like a great replacement for the standard battery changing woes if you want to limit camera downtime on day shoot.

I found it here: http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...ist&sku=437763 and think it might be thhe answer to long day shooting.

This and a FireStore FS-4 Pro with 100 GB drive, and you never need to shut the camera off again!
Old March 22nd, 2007, 01:49 AM   #282
Old Boot

Yup, I got this in one of my mags I get . .

Hmmm .. . ?

#1 - What wattage? I didn't/don't read a definitive reference to the amount of watts available? It says 75 watt hour. Is that 10 watts for 7.5 hours? I'm also presuming it is 10k as in kelvins?

#2 - Is the shoe mount needing to be in the HOT shoe? I don;t see a trailing wire? If so then that kinda defeats the object for me.

I really DO like the overall design - design IS important to me, but hopefully my 2 concerns above will be answered.

Graham Bernard
Graham Bernard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 22nd, 2007, 12:56 PM   #283
Anton/Bauer

ElipZ 10K battery

The 10 K is for 10,500 mah. (7.2 volts X 10.5 ah = 75 watt hours) If you have a 10 watt camera it will run continously for over 7.5 hours.

If you are using the large OEM batteries that are 5400 mah and still run all day, then you should still get twice the run time of a fully charged ElipZ.

Or, be able to run the 10 watt camera and 10 watt Elightz for almost a full day. Personall usage will vary depending on shooting style and light use.

No it is not a "Hot Shoe" The shoe allows a quick release so the battery can be removed from the camera in a coule of seconds for easy breakdown/stowage.

The ElipZ 10K battery also has the exact hole configuration on the bottom of the battery so you can attach you tripod plate.
Scott Keyworth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 22nd, 2007, 10:57 PM   #284
New Boot

Anton Bauer & the GL2

Is anyone using Anton Bauer products (this or other series battery) with their GL2? Are they worth the investment? How is performance vs. stock options and real world MTBF (Mean Time Between Failure)?
Old April 26th, 2007, 05:54 AM   #285
New Boot

Impact BP945 battery for GL2

Hello,
i've just bought a brand new bp-945 (6000mAh) battery for my canon GL2... and i've a weird problem - although I have fully discharged and recharged the battery, the camcorder battery indicators says it's only half-full. what does it mean? is it not fully charged? is the indicator wrong ?

TIA,
Alon.
Alon Levi is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon GL Series DV Camcorders