XL1 / XL1S various posts - Page 20 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog
Can't find it on the XL1 Watchdog site? Discuss it here.

Old May 8th, 2002, 02:23 AM   #286
RED Code Chef

I know there are signal cleaners available. These go between
the power adapter and the power grid. These things clear out
any noise and make sure the signal is withing allowed limits.

Other than that I suggest getting a large battery, this is usually
better anyway since you can move the camera anywhere anytime
without worrying about cables (for power at least) and such....

Rob Lohman, visuar@iname.com
DV Info Wrangler & RED Code Chef

Join the DV Challenge | Lady X

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Buy from the best: DVinfo.net sponsors
Rob Lohman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8th, 2002, 07:59 AM   #287
Tourist

Picture noise

Is something wrong - or is it just me ?

Every body is talking about the great image quality of the XL1. Well I just don’t know. When filming in a massive light set up indoor studio I will agree the overall picture quality looks stunning, but when it comes to outdoor shooting in great sunlight, I find it almost impossible to get an acceptable picture quality, and am not going to mention focusing difficulties as that seems to be an acceptable problem with the XL1, not s.

Could it be the camera?

When shooting outdoor early in the morning or late evening things seems to produce an acceptable result. As long I stay away from the build in ND filter on the lens. When filming in mid day, problems don’t seems to stop. First of all; pictures seems to be washed out with absolutely no picture contrast, and turning on the ND filter (or a POL filter) to reduce light slightly (zebra strips is still visible in the EVF in some light area, as the sky and my white car), noise will appear as if I where night shooting with absolutely no key light.

Should I manage to set the camera controls just right for the picture quality that I would like to receive; lets say its a sunny day and my camera settings would be: ND filter ON, -3db (or AUTO), F5.2/50, Wide angle shoot and every thing looks just fine and then, a lonely cloud moves in front of the sun reducing the overall light and what happens: the picture will look grainy and noisy again. You don’t se this in the EVF, so you think every thing is just ok, maybe a little darker, but that’s just natural because of the cloud, until you watch it on a monitor, and you have to go out there to re-shoot the footage because of picture noise. Pretty annoying I should say.

Is this normal ?, How should I operate the camera whiteout carrying around a monitor for every shoot I take. Please give me some advice so I can start not to worry every time I get paid for a critical one-time-shoot.

I have been using the XL1 professionally for 2 years now, and I like it, but it have got me in to trouble too many times now - one time with a burned out pixel on the CCD chip in the middle of a concert - so the camera have just been checked . Therefore I have to wonder if my camera skills lack knowledge when it comes to operating it. Please help me out here!
Staale Pedersen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8th, 2002, 01:56 PM   #288
Wrangler

Are you using unbalanced high impdance connection? That is the worst possible configuration for noise pickup. It may be coupling into the audio leads from the A/C supply leads. For running any audio in a studio or other location with lots of wiring, best to use balanced audio as much as possible, and go with low impedance if you can. You may also need a ground lifter on the balanced audio.

Battery power is generally lower noise. Have several batteries and chargers going to keep fresh batteries available.
Don Palomaki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8th, 2002, 06:58 PM   #289
Outer Circle

You can always extend it (raise it), or mount it on your tripod or pole.
Frank Granovski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9th, 2002, 01:35 AM   #290
Regular Crew

How's this choice for wireless and handheld?

Hi there profs,

I placed an order for the following:

1 SEEW101PC

EW101P(C) Camera Mountable UHF Plug-On Wireless System with EK100
Receiver and SKP100 Plug-On Transmitter

2 ELND767A
N/D767A Super-Cardioid Handheld Dynamic N/DYM Vocal Microphone

well every piece is worth to me.

I've decided to go with this setup as I won't need lavalier mics in my shootings yet. But this hanheld from Electro voice can be used as wireless with plug-on transmitter.

After reading so much on this board I think I made a right decision on the setup.

Tell me your impressions, err what's your take?

Kairat Salikhov
Old May 11th, 2002, 11:43 AM   #291
Major Player

WB and artificial light ?

Hi,

just got my Frezzi Mini Dimmer Fill. Any secrets on WB when using on cam lights?

Cheers
Andrew

TOTAL AMATEUR - DOING IT FOR THE FUN
Andrew Leigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13th, 2002, 12:20 AM   #292
Regular Crew

Going from XL1 DV to FILM

Im planning on shooting a short using the XL1 with a Fujinon Lens. I plan to transfer my footage to film at Swiss Effects. What do i have to keep in mind when capturing my original image? Will the NTSC be as good as the PAL? Can I play with the Shutter Speed? What happens if i play with the gain? Is the laser or the analog transfer better for this format? If anybody has gone film from XL1 DV let me know what your results were.
Old May 13th, 2002, 07:06 AM   #293
Obstreperous Rex

Eduardo, you need to read the four-part DV to 35mm Guide on the Watchdog. Go to www.dvinfo.net/xl1.htm and click "Articles Menu" then "Post Production." The link to the Guide may be found there.

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13th, 2002, 08:12 AM   #294
New Boot

Any More News related to XL2 Rumor?

Hello XL1 fans,

A while ago I heard rumors (on this message board, I think) about a newer version of the XL series of Canon DV cams coming out sometime soon.

Is there any late breaking news on this front?

I just looked at Panasonic's description of their AG-DVX100 scheduled to be released this September (only 4 months away!) for a manufacturers list price of $3,495! 24p DV, no less! I'm hoping Canon responds to this with a killer XL upgrade.

Tim
MusarInteractive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13th, 2002, 10:37 AM   #295
Obstreperous Rex

Hello Tim,

You'll find a huge thread about the new Panasonic 24P camcorder in the General DV forum... just do a search for it. Since the XL1S came out only last July, I doubt there will be any replacement for it soon. However, I have a *feeling* that the GL1 is about to be replaced shortly, and that's what a lot of us are waiting to see. Hope this helps,

Old May 14th, 2002, 03:54 PM   #296
kushnerb

Manfrotto 3265g Head + 3205g

Wonder if anyone can give me advice on buying this tripod for in the field use for My XL1s...
Is the trigger grip effective, and as versatile as they claim...
I will need to move the camera around alot on the tripod to follow action, but still want to be able to pan. Any views from you guys in the know? I can buy the tripod New for the equivalent of $200 in South Africa.

Thanks once again
Brin
Old May 15th, 2002, 08:00 PM   #297
HVproductions

Live recording

I need suggestions on how to record a live band, I've gotten the optics down, and the gl1's onboard mic is horribly overdriven with bass and overall sounds terrible in smaller venues. How should I go about getting quality live audio? Thanks in advance, Max
Old May 16th, 2002, 10:55 AM   #298
Obstreperous Rex

Howdy from Texas,

That 3265 head is *not* going to work well with your XL1S at all. A friend of mine who is a pro photographer has one and it is great for still photography but lousy for video. You will not be able to smoothly pan with it. It is intended only for still photography and will give poor results for video cameras because it cannot pan or tilt smoothly like a true video head will.

Consider the Bogen Manfrotto 503 head, it's perfect for the XL1S.

In my opinion the 3205 sticks are not enough of a tripod for the XL1S. They're fine for still photo cameras but you should consider a larger tripod for video cameras and get one with a mid-level spreader. Bogen makes a number of affordable video tripods. We've discussed tripods here before; do a search on tripods to turn up all the various threads on this board. Hope this helps,

Old May 16th, 2002, 02:24 PM   #299
Wrangler

Please see reply in the "Son of Watchdog GL1 Pages."
Don Palomaki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20th, 2002, 08:50 AM   #300
melenas90

rain cover

Hola ¿alguien habla español?

Necesito saber donde puedo comprar un funda para la lluvia para la CANON XL1 en España no la encuentro.

gracias ;)

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog