XL1 / XL1S various posts - Page 33 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog
Can't find it on the XL1 Watchdog site? Discuss it here.

Old August 14th, 2002, 08:52 PM   #481
Major Player

Sound Effects

IF YOUR LOOKING FOR A SITE WITH TONS OF FREE SOUND EFFECTS GO TO:

WWW.FINDSOUNDS.COM/TYPES.HTML

THEY HAVE AUFF, AU, AND WAVE

BRUCE
B. Moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 15th, 2002, 02:24 AM   #482
Slash Rules!

Hello friend. I have that shoulder brace. It cost me 465 courtesy of ZGC. I doesn't way much itself, but you'll definitely know it's there when you get it on your shoulder. I myself am a rather small person, so it doesn't hug my shoulder like I thought it would. I'm getting used to it, but try to try one out before getting it.

As far as steadiness goes, it should help you there too.
Josh Bass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 16th, 2002, 12:32 AM   #483
horrorfan

Digital Break up

I just received my new XL1s a few days ago along with a few new JVC mini-DV tapes. So I threw in one of the tapes and began shooting a few random things around the house. I rewinded the tape and watched the video in my viewfinder and was in awe of its quality. Today I had some more free time after work to do some more shooting and found a slight glitch in the tape when I played it back in either my XL1s or my DV deck. Its a small 2 second flicker that looks similar to a digital satellite system breaking up due to poor signal strength. I put in a different tape and began shooting and have yet to have the problem occur again. Should I be worried about this or could it just be that the tape had a bad spot?

Any suggestions would be helpful, since I want to make sure for the money I'm paying that my XL1s is working properly.

Thanks ^_^
Old August 16th, 2002, 01:02 AM   #484
Major Player

I'm afraid that this is not uncommon. On a 63 min tape, I typically get one or two of those. The camera has been back to Canon twice, and it's better, but not cured. The last time, they sold me a new drum. I've been using strictly the Panasonic Master tape (white cassette), which is among the best stuff you can buy, so it's not the tape. It's probably the nature of DV to get a few of these, but I'd like to see less. These drops have screwed up more than a few shots.
Old August 19th, 2002, 06:48 PM   #485
Major Player

archive

Chris,
I was about to post a question, then realized that I had seen the subject adressed before. But when? Didn't you mention something about an archive?

Steve Siegel
Miami, FL
Steve Siegel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 19th, 2002, 07:17 PM   #486
Major Player

If you look up at the upper right hand corner, you will notice the second button from the right is "search." Click this and you will be all set in digging through the archives.

Hope this helps.
Houston, Texas
Paul Sedillo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 21st, 2002, 04:20 AM   #487
MaximusV

Manual exposure metering?

Hello everyone,

I am new to this list and new to film making. I have been keen photographer for years and started to be interested in video making. I belive most rules of still photography apply to video, but have one specific question. With my still camera, I used to set expousre manually - I am taking the ambient light measurement with a hand-held light meter. With this meter you first set an ISO film speed you use, in order to take readouts. How is it with digital video tape? How do you take measurements of ambient light to set the aperture and shutter speed manually on your camcorder? Is there some equivalent to ISO film speed in relation to DV?

Best regards,
Maciej
Old August 21st, 2002, 08:21 AM   #488
Warden

Hi,

Your question has been answered here:

http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthread.php?s=&threadid=3294

The link Nathan refers to is very good and includes a complete discussion of this topic.

Jeff
Jeff Donald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 21st, 2002, 08:22 PM   #489
Regular Crew

Manual XL lenses' barrel color

I would like to know if anyone else knows why Canon doesn't make the manual XL lenses' barrels white like the standard lenses. They make the other pro still lenses with the white barrel. Why is this? My theory is that they have modified these black lenses from another line to fit the XL camera systems to keep costs down from having to develop a whole new manual lens. I like everything to MATCH! Whadaya think?
James Emory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 21st, 2002, 08:40 PM   #490
Wrangler

Maybe...
Another theory is that since all the other pro lenses out there are black, Canon made this one black to match.
Dylan Couper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 21st, 2002, 11:00 PM   #491
Wrangler

"flashing" problem with XL1s

Strange phenomenon today.

While shooting a locked-off shot with a city street in the background, I had a problem today where bright colored cars whizzing by would temporarily cause the image to "flash", by which I mean a lifting of the black level overall. I would refer to it as a flare, except that it was uniform across the image. There was a circular polarizer in use on the 14x manual lens, and the camera was in manual mode.

I am suspecting the filter, but just having a bright object in frame (and the cars were under 100 IRE, and not reflecting sunlight at the lens since it was overcast) and getting this sort of result is discouraging. It was a borrowed filter, and since I have always used straight pola's I am wondering if this is a side effect of the circular pola.

Has anyone experienced anything like this?
Old August 21st, 2002, 11:44 PM   #492
Warden

This is just a guess, but certain types of materials (unpainted metal) produce reflections that can not be reduced by either linear or circular polarizers. Metal wheels, perhaps metallic paint etc. would produce such a light. This would cause the polarizer to reduce the reflections of some light and to have no affect on the other reflected light. Combine this with the motion of the cars and I would think that it could cause a flashing or strobing effect.

Jeff
Old August 23rd, 2002, 02:36 AM   #493
New Boot

head and legs for the canon xl1s

I'm in the process of buying a canon xl1s.

I'll need to buy a tripod, could anybody give me any advice.

It would be great if the head could be removed so that it could be put on a hi hat or other mounts depending on the situation.

The camera will mainly be used for documentry work.

My buget is around £800 - £1200.

Thank you.
Llewellyn Thomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 23rd, 2002, 03:11 AM   #494
Warden

I'm not exactly sure about exchange rates but I can highly recommend the Vinten http://www.vinten.com/ tripods and they're made in England. It's what I'm presently using and I'm very pleased with it. The other brand to look at is Sachtler http://www.sachtler.com/default2.asp The Sachtler DV-6 might be in your range. Others to look at in your range are Miller, O'Connor and Manfroto/Bogen.

Jeff
Old August 23rd, 2002, 11:10 AM   #495
Regular Crew

Mixing Stereo from Mono tracks, need info

I am heavy into editing and post production on a DV feature and I need some advice from the audio gurus on the site.

I recorded all of the dialogue for the movie on my Sennheiser Shotgun microphone. It did a beautiful job, but it gave me these mono tracks.

I need some guidance on the best solution for mixing the audio to be either stereo or come from the center speaker in a 3-5 channel setup.

Any advice on the software?

I use Premiere 6.02, an audio plug in or a compatible program would be ideal. I can't seem to find anything in the audio plug-ins provided to resolve this problem.

I'm guesing mixing in 5.1 is out of the question without a pricey piece of software.

Anybody else in this same position?
J. Cody Lucido is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog