XL1 / XL1S various posts - Page 48 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog
Can't find it on the XL1 Watchdog site? Discuss it here.

Old February 15th, 2003, 04:22 AM   #706
New Boot

I bought my XL1s in Hong Kong in Times Square (a shopping center with a floor devoted to electronics) at one of the broadway electronics stores about a year and a half ago for HK$32,000. However they likely do not carry in stock, and at that time i had to order.

However I just helped a friend buy ian XL1s in Pacific Place (another shopping center, located in Admiralty) for under HK$28,000 (could have been even less, I can't remember off hand) at one of two electronics/camera shops on the lowest floor. I know they usually have the XL1s in stock and also offer lenses and some other equipment.

I would recommend the Pacific Place electronics store (i cant remember the name either, but I believe they still have an XL1s in the window). Just make sure to go in know how much you want to pay. I've gotten wildly different quotes from them on occasion.
pathways is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 15th, 2003, 05:19 AM   #707
Regular Crew

Not a resident and not being familiar with the ins and outs of Hong Kong, I can only offer this as a visitor:

Most tourists' exposure to Hong Kong shopping is primarily with the main arterial road in the TsimShaTsui district; Nathan Road. The shopkeeps that line the street all know it and price their wares accordingly whether it be a GL2 or a Rolex. "Smoke & Mirrors" at it's finest. Don't know about the Austrialian dollar, but partly due to the economic slump in HK, there's a favorable USD to HKD condition (1:7.7). Despite this, a number of electronic & computer goods aren't much cheaper than if purchased in the US. If anything, I'd blame it on improved worldwide distribution & internet shopping.

Another shopping district further north along Nathan road has less of a reputation of being a Tourist trap: MongKok. Here, approximately 20 square blocks host a beehive of activity east of Nathan Road, south of Argyle. Of sideline interest, there is a HUGE cellphone megaplex and computer megaplex in this area. One or two arcadia shops in the computer building specializes in NLE, but from what I glimpsed, only consumer-level items.

Passing through MongKok today, one of the electronics vendors had a XL1s and GL2 in the window. GL2 wasn't priced, but the XL1s was tagged at $20680hkd. Didn't look further into it as I wasn't in the area to shop for either. I would hedge bets that both were NTSC models (HK uses PAL) since the locals aren't avid videomakers and certainly not the ones who would be buying "large" camcorders. Based on that pricetag, I would extrapolate further that it might be for the body-only and stripped of every/any accessory. There's also a good chance it's gray market stock with no warranties attached. These are the things that have to be explicitly checked when negotiating a sale in HK.

If taking the MTR subway, the MongKok station exit at E2 Bank Centre leads into the hotzone in question. Use www.centamap.com for clarification.

CarterTG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 15th, 2003, 12:26 PM   #708
Tourist

window dubs

I'm aware it's possible to use the XL1S to make time/date window burms which are useful for legal depositions. Can these window burns be used to reference source video similar to time code window dubs?
Bob Totans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 15th, 2003, 12:58 PM   #709
Obstreperous Rex

They should be, yes. The indicated time/frame number on the screen should precisely match the actual frame number of the video, if that's what you're asking. I use this method frequently by making VHS dubs of my DV originals, to review in the comfort of my living room (ahh, lying on the couch is so comfortable). Tape logging is pretty easy that way (the couch, plus the TC window). Hope this helps,

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 15th, 2003, 02:34 PM   #710
Regular Crew

AKG

The AKG is an excellent mic...too bad it wont mount directly on the camera mic mount that comes with the XL-1.....if anyone has a fix, please let me know......as far as sound quality, the mic would be good for:
booming as a second mic, along with a lav.
booming for nats.
camera mounted nat sound mic.
voice over mic.
The presence and super - cardioid adapters may be usefull. This is a very sensitive and awesome sounding mic...I got one last week for $179 at Guitar Center, and obviously, it can do an awful lot...
Old February 15th, 2003, 03:01 PM   #711
Inner Circle

Is the ME 64 a good mike?

I already have a Sennheiser ME 66 and I love it. I'm thinking about getting an ME 64 as well and using it as an on-camera mike for safety. Does anyone have strong feelings about this mike for or against? I'm attracted to the small size and the specs look similar to the ME 66. I assume its not as directional, but that might not be such a bad thing for my purposes. Would I be better off just getting another ME 66? It's kind of bulky when its mounted on the camera.
Marco Leavitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 15th, 2003, 04:41 PM   #712
New Boot

I was recently looking for a 7" lcd monitor for mounting on my steadicam. The models I was looking at were the Lilliput 218GL-70TV, Starvision TM-SVT718M, Digimedia LT-070S, and the Pheonix digital PD-180. I narrowed it down to the Digimedia and the starvision. The starvision has better resolution but the digimedia has an s-video input. I went with the digimedia. The pheonix digital also has an s-video input but i couldn't find much information on it.

You have to be careful when buying LCD monitors from unreputable dealers or ebay. Some of them have old screens that have been recharged and placed into new housings, then sold as new!
Old February 16th, 2003, 11:54 AM   #713
Regular Crew

hi Jesse,
thank you for the info. i'll look at those models too. i was looking at varizoom's too, which is still priced pretty good. thank you again for the tip about lcd displays. i guess people will try to make a quick buck any way they can now-a-days :/ thanks again, i appreciate your response.

matt
Matt Betea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 17th, 2003, 06:36 AM   #714
Major Player

Water/Snow on Lens

I just got some light water on my lens.
What would you do? Just mop it up gentlely with lens tissue?
John Threat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 17th, 2003, 06:41 AM   #715
Outer Circle

Yup. Just mop it up gentlely with lens tissue or lens cleaning cloth. Then let it sit and dry. Hopefully, no water got into the lens---then you'll really be screwed.
Frank Granovski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 17th, 2003, 03:53 PM   #716
Regular Crew

Audio LIKE FILM ?

Dear All,

I wonder if this is the right place for me to post this?
I have an XL1s and i want to use it for documentry like production, or personal film like production, and my question is are there and PRODUCTION phase recording tips for getting the sound like FILM sound, and are there and POST-PRODUCTION links you can provid for sound EQ/EDITING !

Thanks,
Amr
Amr Toukhy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 17th, 2003, 08:40 PM   #717
Retired DV Info Net Almunus

Welcome Amr
Your question is not a simple one to answer. Acquiring and producing good sound is a science and large skill-set all its own, far too large to adequately cover in a post here. The "audio like film" is the product of some very elaborate professional skills and equipment.

Rather than attempting a tutorial here, the best advice I could pass to you is to point you towards two books by Jay Rose that will give you a wealth of information.

"Producing Great Sound for Digital Video"
and
"Audio Postproduction for Digital Video"

I've provided links to Amazon.com for your reference. Hopefully you'll have a way to get these books in Amman.

Hey, you don't have enough stuff!
Buy with confidence from our sponsors. Hand-picked as the best in the business...Really!

See some of my work one frame at a time: www.KenTanaka.com
Ken Tanaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 18th, 2003, 05:09 AM   #718
Regular Crew

thanks alot Ken,

For your valuable links :)

It really helped,

I think yes i can order on-line from AMAZON, i've done it before :)

Regards,
Amr
Amr Toukhy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 18th, 2003, 04:05 PM   #719
New Boot

Pass through

Hello,

I am new to this forum and am getting close to buying either an XL1s or a SonyVX2000 or PD150

My Question relates to the XL1S.

On Sony Cameras you can use them as A/D or D/A coverters without having to record onto DV tape. For example you can take a VHS recoder connect this to the camera, the camera connected to the computer and the camera acts as an Analog to digital converter. With the Sony you can go striaght through without having to record on the DV tape. It also works the other way round. If you want to take your video from the computer and record onto VHS the camera provides a striaght through for this. The camera being a digital to analog converter without recording to DV tape.

Can yo do this with the Canon XL1s? Some people say you can, others say you have to first record to the DV tape.

Thanks for any help you can give.
Peter Burton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 18th, 2003, 06:22 PM   #720
RED Code Chef

You will have to record it to tape first. As soon as you plug in the
firewire cable the XL1s will not look at your analog input anymore.
So first record it, then put it in the computer.

Rob Lohman, visuar@iname.com
DV Info Wrangler & RED Code Chef

Join the DV Challenge | Lady X

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Buy from the best: DVinfo.net sponsors
Rob Lohman is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog