NLE Mac / Final Cut questions from 2004 - Page 16 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Final Cut Suite
Discussing the editing of all formats with FCS, FCP, FCE

Old February 21st, 2004, 02:06 PM   #226
Warden

Sounds like you have time code errors on your tape. You will not be able to batch capture. You'll have to manually capture the clips you need. Search the archives in the DV tape forum (Long Black Line) for answers to time code errors.

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Where to Buy? From the best in the business: DVinfo.net sponsors
Jeff Donald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 21st, 2004, 02:15 PM   #227
Warden

Quote:
Also, is the G5 so different in design that it can't be considered the succeeding generation of the G4?
The G5 is definetly the replacement processor for the G4. Apple has switched vendors for processors and you'll see very little of the G4 in the future.

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Where to Buy? From the best in the business: DVinfo.net sponsors
Old February 21st, 2004, 06:26 PM   #228
Regular Crew

Hey, thanks for the tip.

But I could not fine anything in the forum that
would help or resemble my problem.

:(
Shaggy Franks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 21st, 2004, 06:41 PM   #229
Warden

I used the search function and entered the key words FCP preferences delete and this thread was referenced. I'm not sure it will solve your capture issues, but it may be the solution.

Old February 21st, 2004, 07:13 PM   #230
Trustee

Expansion Chassis

Does anyone have any info on where I can get an expansion chassis for a Mac running OS X- I'd like to have around 6 hard drives in the chassis and not configure them as a RAID- just standard HD setup.........anyone know where I can find an expansion chassis?

(Mac G4/933)
Old February 21st, 2004, 10:37 PM   #231
Inner Circle

promax sells a 4-drive chassis. It'll take up 1 PCI slot with a SATA controller. $2000 for 1TB.

With the G4 having 4 internal drive bays, that gives you 3 bays. With 7 drive slots, that's about 1.75TB... about 130 hours of footage.

There are probably some cheaper solutions but they may not come with support from a VAR like Promax.
Glenn Chan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 22nd, 2004, 09:26 AM   #232
Regular Crew

Steve i have kind of been looking at the same thing. What I want is an external firewire case to throw about 4 EIDE drives in. Check these guys out. http://www.granitedigital.com/ Im almost sure they all can be set up in some RAID config which you dont want and I wish they didnt do because I just want the extra drive space like you.

Paul
Paul Moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 22nd, 2004, 12:42 PM   #233
Major Player

For more info, check out this article.

http://www.kenstone.net/fcp_homepage/trashing_fcp_prefs.html
Old February 22nd, 2004, 05:11 PM   #234
Inner Circle

What about a FW card and 4/6 FW drives? You can daisy chain them if necessary.
Old February 23rd, 2004, 06:36 PM   #235
New Boot

Need to correct LOUD audio with FCP4 If Possible

Hi, I record a 3 hours concert and when I start to edit I noticed that the audio it's too loud and i hear lot of distortion (That's because i forgot to activate the "MIC ATT" of my camera). I need to know if exist some kind of filter or trick or miracle to correct this problem.

PLEASE!!!!!!
Old February 23rd, 2004, 07:54 PM   #236
Major Player

I'm sure that you don't want to hear this, but once you exceed 0dB in digital audio, you're screwed. That's why you need to keep your peaks no hotter than -12dB -- -20dB isn't a bad idea, either. You can always bring it up in post, but cannot salvage digitally clipped audio.
Old February 23rd, 2004, 07:58 PM   #237
Regular Crew

Thats right, you can drop the volume down but there's nothing you can do about the distortion.

Can you get the audio of the concert from another camera?
Andrew Hogan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 23rd, 2004, 08:04 PM   #238
New Boot

Nop. My camera was the only one. Because I use it to broadcast the concert via Internet and I just decide to record it. I'm gonna check with the sound people and hope that they record the concert in CD.

:-(

Thanks both of you....
Angel Otero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 23rd, 2004, 11:54 PM   #239
Inner Circle

Quote:
I need to know if exist some kind of filter or trick or miracle to correct this problem.
There are some filters that make digital clipping sound less bad, but they won't really fix it. Waves Restoration Bundle has such a filter (it's expensive). Bias Peak (should come with FCP) may also have a filter like that.

But basically you'd need a reshoot or a miracle for good sound.
Old February 24th, 2004, 07:01 AM   #240
Regular Crew

G5 discounts

I've been planning to buy a Mac G5 and the 17in flat screen. I called Apple in N.Calif and was surprised to find that they were will to give me almost a 10% discount to the store retail price. He even gave me more Ram. I've always thought that Apple wouldn't give discounts for brand new machines.

Also, someone recommended to me to get Two 17in flat screens with the G5. I will be using the G5 for editing. Do any of you have two screen hooked up to your Mac and if so please explain why?
Rich Sheikh is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite