Helping Hands from 2009 - Page 12 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Community Marketplace > Helping Hands
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Helping Hands
Post a job, find a job, hire a crew, join a crew... seek out and deploy!

Closed Thread

Old April 21st, 2009, 10:34 AM   #166
Regular Crew

Hey Shaun,
let me know when you're in town and we'll go out for a drink.

~Justin
Old April 21st, 2009, 11:46 AM   #167
Inner Circle

Location: Vancouver, British Columbia (formerly Winnipeg, Manitoba) Canada
Awesome Justin, I'll take you up on that. Should hit town either April 29 or 30th.
Old April 21st, 2009, 11:48 AM   #168
Regular Crew

Sounds good to me.
Old April 22nd, 2009, 03:22 PM   #169
Regular Crew

Looking for Steadicam operator in Essen, Germany

I'll be working on a documentary shoot in Germany in early May and need to find a good Steadicam owner/operator for a day's work filming a large art installation. The location is Essen, Germany and we'd prefer someone who can work locally. If interested, please don't hesitate to contact me at "kwsavoie (AT) gmail.com". Thanks!
Old April 26th, 2009, 06:48 AM   #170
Major Player

2nd shooter avaliable in NJ/NY

Hello guys,

I'd like to offer my help for everyone who needs 2nd shooter in NY/NJ area. I do mostly weddings (for last 3 yrs) and that's where I have the most experience I can share. I have my own equipment - Sony FX1000 with tripod, on-camera lighting, and wireless mic.

You can contact me via email: lukas (at) dreamin-tv (dot) com or via this forum.

All the best,
Lukas Siewior
Old April 27th, 2009, 11:06 AM   #171
Inner Circle

Location: Vancouver, British Columbia (formerly Winnipeg, Manitoba) Canada
Friendly little bump: if any of you Vancouver based DVI Forumites want to sit and chat while I'm out, I'd love to meet you and get a State of Vancouver briefing. I'll be checking the forum while away but may not be able to check e-mail that easily. My IT guy is trying to fix it all up for me. What do I know, I just make pretty pictures (and some ugly ones, but that's by design...)
Old May 2nd, 2009, 05:56 PM   #172
Regular Crew

Need XH-A1s tutor in L.A. area - Will pay

Went from DVX100B to XH-A1s and it is way more complicated.

I need somebody in the Los Angeles area (I'm in Santa Monica) that knows this camera inside out and backward to go over the manual page by page with me and show me every single feature and setting. Not a general overview, but a detailed surgical overview.

Probably take about 3 to 4 hours and pays $100.

If interested, and you really feel confident that you can explain every single aspect and not insulted by $100, please contact me by e-mail at Olsensm@aol.com.
Old May 2nd, 2009, 08:56 PM   #173
Inner Circle

Kelly a lot of folk found this and worked their way through it. I'm not saying don't hire someone, but before you do, suggest you get a basic knowledge of your A1, and write out your questions based on what you want to shoot.

3 or 4 intensive hours cold with the A1 could well be major overload. Hang in there ... and here :)

Cheers.
Old May 2nd, 2009, 10:07 PM   #174
Major Player

I think the idea of this community is to help each other out for free. If you don't mind taking a drive to the valley, I'd be happy to take some time and take you through using the camera in Manual mode (which is the best way to get the most out of the camera, IMO).
Old May 3rd, 2009, 03:27 PM   #175
Regular Crew

Thanks for taking the time to reply. Yes, there is a lot of great information here on this site as well as a few others and people are very generous with their information. I learned so much when I had my Panny DVX100B. But as much as I learned from Barry Green's book on the DVX, I went to a guy who spent time with me and just made me more comfortable understanding the settings and how to use them.

I have been shooting 35MM SLR for years and I have been using a Canon Optura Pi DV camera for years, as well as the DVX, and it is amazing how similar the interface of the a1 is with the Optura. But the a1 is so much more complicated with getting to the settings and such and has so many more of them. But I know about aperture, shutter speeds, depth of field, lighting, sound and the basics of photography/videography.

I have started a documentary which is completely funded by my savings and I am lucky enough to have some celebrities be willing to be in it because they love the two people who are the subjects of the doc (Marty and Elayne from the movie "Swingers".)

I'm only mentioning "celebrities" (Drew Barrymore, Keifer Sutherland, Vince Vaughn and a few more so far) not to try to impress, but to show that I can't have them sitting in a chair for free with limited time and me fumbling around with the camera.

And yes, I should have somebody else work the camera, which I want, but I still need to know the camera for the interviews with the not so "special" people who I will be more relaxed around, but I still need to be competent with the camera.

As far as me going to the Valley, that is not a problem for me at all. I have a completely flexible schedule and available anytime, any day, and I appreciate the offer. The part about money is that I don't have a ton to throw around, but I never want to take advantage of anybody and money is one way of letting somebody know you value their time.

I do things and help people a lot and don't expect anything in return. But when asking strangers, I don't want to just presume that people know I'm a great guy and it will be fun helping me (Yea, sorry, I'm a guy for anybody that got confused by the girl's name).

So, yes, I still feel I need in person help, and yes, 3 or 4 hours may be too much, but I really want to be able to go over every page of the manual so that I have a pretty good understanding of it.

There is the distinct possibility that if there is somebody around here that wants to help me out now to get me to feel comfortable with the a1, then I would ask them if they want to do the camera for the actors mentioned above when I'm interviewing them (which I would pay something) and it would just be fun and could be used for a reel if you wanted.

Thanks again, and let me know.

Kelly
310-883-4705
Olsensm@aol.com
Old May 3rd, 2009, 04:05 PM   #176
Major Player

Sent you an email.
Old May 3rd, 2009, 04:29 PM   #177
Major Player

EX1/3 in Houston, TX?

Are there any fellow DVinfo groupies in Houston or near The Woodlands with an EX1/3? I know we rented an EX1 for Woodlands Church a year ago, but no one knows from who.
Old May 3rd, 2009, 05:40 PM   #178
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelly Olsen View Post
I'm only mentioning "celebrities" (Drew Barrymore, Keifer Sutherland, Vince Vaughn and a few more so far) not to try to impress, but to show that I can't have them sitting in a chair for free with limited time and me fumbling around with the camera.
GOOD GRIEF!! Thank goodness for cheap flights, just booked one to Cal.

Cheers.
Old May 4th, 2009, 01:11 PM   #179
New Boot

EX1/3 on the south coast NSW?

Hi, I was looking to hookup with any EX shooters in my area, chew the fat or colaborate.

We have some business brewing and are looking for crew and/or second camera.
Old May 4th, 2009, 04:08 PM   #180
Major Player

Need camera op with XHA1 for corporate shoot in NYC

Seeking camera operator with a Canon XHA1 for corporate video shoot. Shoot will take place in Forrest Hills, Queens on May 20th. Load-in at 8AM – we hope to be out by 6pm.

Individual must have lighting and sound experience as well. The job will also entail loading in and out, setting up lights, mics, etc and dressing the room for the shoot (with other crew members).

Must have an excellent eye, great at keeping sharp focus and a smooth steady hand. Will be shooting a table discussion where following the conversation is critical.

Only those with professional corporate experience please reply. Because it is a corporate video shoot, look, attire and appearance is important. Button down shirt and dress slacks (or nice jeans) required.

Please reply with introduction letter/email and list of relevant experience, reel (or resume). Let us know why you are right for this job.

Please include your day rate including camera.

Closed Thread

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Community Marketplace > Helping Hands