JVC HD 201 and 35mm adaptors - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems
GY-HD 100 & 200 series ProHD HDV camcorders & decks.

Old February 12th, 2007, 08:41 AM   #16
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joel Aaron
Just a quick note for any HD-100 owners. You can flip the viewfinder eyepiece upside down very quickly to make shooting with an adapter easy. I've been able to go run and gun with my M2 by hard mounting the M2 to the HD-100 and flipping the eyepiece.

The Brevis looks awesome though. Is there any downside to using the faster ground glass? Wouldn't you just use it all the time?
You get a shallower depth of field with the other diffusers.

How do you find the M2 hard mounted on the M2, not too front heavy? What did you use?
Old February 12th, 2007, 08:56 AM   #17
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil Bloom
You get a shallower depth of field with the other diffusers.
Because you can shoot at a faster F-Stop? Seems odd to me that the diffuser would change the DOF if the lens is at the same F-Stop. For my taste I've actually found I prefer the look of F4-5.6 excepting when I'm in tight quarters.

Quote:
How do you find the M2 hard mounted on the M2, not too front heavy? What did you use?
I use rails and the hard mount is a 55-55 coupler ring. I actually pulled apart the original achromat so it slides inside the Fujinon which saves a couple inches of total length and eliminates some edge blur because the achromat is so close to the Fujinon glass. Then I tape up the zoom, focus and macro. This whole setup finally made the M2 "set it up and forget it" for me.

To eliminate some of the front heavy feel I took off the motorized zoom on the Fujinon. I grip the rig with my right hand by the bottom of the M2. In that position I can rest my elbow on my chest- which is how I shoot a SLR. Much sturdier. I could add a pistol grip but I don't think it's needed.

I haven't test removing the rails and just using the Fuji grip as you could with the Brevis. That should work also... but I kinda like the rails supporting everything.

I'm holding out for a Red camera... but these rigs can put out some very nice pictures. I'd like to try that Brevis for the increased light. That sounds EXCELLENT. I almost hate to ask... but is there any benefit to the M2 with the Brevis out there?
Joel Aaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 12th, 2007, 09:06 AM   #18
Trustee

Quote:
Because you can shoot at a faster F-Stop? Seems odd to me that the diffuser would change the DOF if the lens is at the same F-Stop. For my taste I've actually found I prefer the look of F4-5.6 excepting when I'm in tight quarters.

I almost hate to ask... but is there any benefit to the M2 with the Brevis out there?
The CF2 and CF3 let through less light, causing the Bokeh to change, they are less translucent. Am sure someone here can explain better! I compare them to different type of film stock (without the grain!) faster film (standard diffuser) for indoors and low light through to slow film (CF3 for bright sunlight or more shallow portraity look)

Tought question that last one. The M2 does give a really nice image... and once hard mounted you will get a great image again and again. I guess my shootout explains the differences best and which one you really need.
Old February 12th, 2007, 09:56 AM   #19
Major Player

Quote:
Just a quick note for any HD-100 owners. You can flip the viewfinder eyepiece upside down very quickly to make shooting with an adapter easy.
The day I discovered this was a good day for me. ;-)
Chad Terpstra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 12th, 2007, 10:06 AM   #20
Trustee

i find the output quite noisy from my camera. is this normal? There doesnt appear to be a way to set gain to -3db
Old February 12th, 2007, 02:28 PM   #21
Major Player

Are you refering to the HD200?

As i am having the exact same problem.

A couple of others were as well - a couple of weeks ago, there was a thread about it.
Tyson Perkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 12th, 2007, 02:37 PM   #22
Trustee

I have searched for an answer but couldnt find one. Yes refering to the HD200
Old February 12th, 2007, 04:54 PM   #23
Major Player

Is it worse than other cams - you have used? I have no experience with other hd cams so i wouldnt know - do you think it is a problem with the camera
Old February 12th, 2007, 05:02 PM   #24
Major Player

Quote:
i find the output quite noisy from my camera. is this normal? There doesnt appear to be a way to set gain to -3db
I don't know much about the HD-200 but I do know I tested my HD-100 against the HVX200 and I thought the JVC was a lot better... but there still is noise.

These adapters really show off the noise because you see it in the smooth gradations of the out of focus areas. I think noise is less noticeable in the sharp details of a deep DOF picture.
Old February 12th, 2007, 05:04 PM   #25
Trustee

Yes I think so, I noticed it straight away, am not talking with the adaptor am talking clean shots...seems a bit crazy to have to fix it in post which is what the other thread says...

Here is a new pic of the JVC with the Brevis. I will set it up with the M2 soon.
Attached Thumbnails
JVC HD 201 and 35mm adaptors-jvc.jpg  
Old February 12th, 2007, 09:45 PM   #26
Major Player

Do you think this is something that JVC could fix - as i am considering selling if this case remains - its not a big ask to want clean images.
Old February 12th, 2007, 11:22 PM   #27
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyson Perkins
Do you think this is something that JVC could fix - as i am considering selling if this case remains - its not a big ask to want clean images.
I remember saying that before I sold my HVX200. I've got a friend with an F-900. It has noise. I was just watching the DVD of "Bubble" which was shot on the F-950 and it had noise. You're gonna deal with it to some degree no matter what you do.

The only thing I can recommend is never shoot at higher than F5.6 on any of these little cameras. You'll get really noisy images for some technical reason I can't recall right now.

As to anything specific to the HD-200 I'd be curious if anyone else can comment.
Old February 13th, 2007, 04:01 PM   #28
Trustee

it is definatley noisier than my xdcam f350 and my z1
Old February 13th, 2007, 04:08 PM   #29
Major Player

Yes, i am thinking about selling if i cannot find a resolution for this problem
Old February 13th, 2007, 04:22 PM   #30
Major Player

Quote:
it is definatley noisier than my xdcam f350 and my z1
Z1 was very clean in my tests... I'm not sure there's another one of these little HD cameras as clean as that one. But the Z1 has no 24p and the codec isn't as strong based on my tests. The dynamic range and color rendition on the JVC's are better too. Just depends on where your priorities are. I knew the HD-100 was noisier than the Sony when I bought, but compared to that HVX it looks great to me.
Joel Aaron is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems