The Gigantic Mini DV Deck / Camcorder as Deck Thread - Page 20 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > The Long Black Line
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

The Long Black Line
Tape, tape and more tape; and decks; HDV, DV, VHS and more.

Old April 1st, 2004, 10:43 PM   #286
Regular Crew

I don't need that kind of portability, and I do need a clean (ie non-cluttered) work area. I have a home office and two young kids that are always trying to climb/grab everything. I want to install this deck in a shelving unit and have it securely stowed away. Somebody use this deck with positive report?
Old April 3rd, 2004, 04:37 PM   #287
Trustee

i have a gv-d900, which i believe is the ntsc version of what you have, except with an lcd screen.

it constantly beeps and flashes a yellow warning code... i have to shut off the power for awhile, often multiple times, to get it to work... i guess that you can't tell what error code you are getting without an lcd monitor? how about deciphering the beep code?

these lousy decks never shut off fully even with the power switch on the deck is turned off... the power supply stays warm all the time, so a real reboot involves unplugging the power line from the wall.

i have had to take the cover off of this deck several times and clean it with that radio shack head cleaning kit... it used to junk up on a regular basis, despite fairly low hours... not something i'd recommend if you don't know what you are doing, and the alcohol cleaner will dry out the rubber pinch roller.
Dan Euritt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 6th, 2004, 07:37 AM   #288
Wrangler

Hi Dan,

Thanks for your reply.

I can hook it up to a TV but I get no error codes what so ever!!! It just shuts itself off.

To get an estimate done for the repair is going to cost me about £50 which is quite a lot of money, especially if I decide not to go a head with it.

I have not tried a head cleaner in it yet, and I don't really fancy opening the thing up.

Thanks for the tips,

Ed

Good things come to those who wait

My Skiing web www.Frostytour.co.uk

For quick answers Search dvinfo.net | The best in the business: dvinfo.net Sponsors
Ed Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 8th, 2004, 08:49 PM   #289
New Boot

<<<-- Originally posted by James Sudik : These negative expieriences with the JVC MiniDV/SVHS have got me spooked. I was planning on buying one very soon, and at $800+ for a new one (plus decent respect for the JVC brand) I was thinking it would be a solid performer. Can anyone with this deck offer up some positive support? -->>>

I too would like to hear any pro's or con's of the JVC MiniDV/SVHS unit. I was looking at one that B&H often has on sale at just under $700.00. But if this type of unit has problems I don't want to waste my hard earned money on it.

Anyone?
Old April 11th, 2004, 12:53 PM   #290
Regular Crew

jvc camcorder / deck

Hi Jason,

I use a JVC GRD70 as my capture, analog-digital and digital-analog pass-through device. The only difference between the GRD70 and the GRD30 is the digital still camera function, which is close to useless. I should have bought the GRD30 instead.

The only disadvantages of using a cheap camcorder as a deck is batch captures and cueing (interrelated I guess) supposedly take more time, because the tape transports neither as robust nor as fast (again, interrelated).

It's good to save more than $1000 once in a while, and I'm not working with non-vanilla DV anyhow. If I needed other formats then I'd go for a dedicated deck. But this works great and does exactly what I need.

I'm using the JVC to save wear on my XL1s.

My setup is: Mac G5 to JVC GRD70 via FireWire, A/V cable from camcorder to VCR for R/L sound, S-video cable from camcorder to VCR, and S-video + R/L audio cables to TV.

When capturing analog I just switch the cables from "in" on the VCR to "out."
Murad Toor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 12th, 2004, 09:27 PM   #291
New Boot

Using lesser model for Tape deck?

Ok I have read in different places about using a lower model MiniDV camera as a deck... I have an XL1 and I was thinking about using my old JVC DVL120U as a deck... does this retain the quality of the XL1? I am thinking it lowers the quality to whatever it puts out, or is it just playing what is exactly fed off of the tape?

Thanks in advance...

-Scott
Scott T Anderson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 12th, 2004, 09:54 PM   #292
Contributor

Any DV camera actually processes the same quality images, if you use the camera to output via Firewire to a computer or to a DVD writer, the camera where you are playing back makes no difference. Now if you are using the camera's analog audio and video outputs that's a whole different story. Some cameras may have better DA and output levels, some pro equipment might even have component output and that's great for feeding a projector, a high end monitor. However any camera with S-video out should give you a decent image indisinguishable from your main camera. If your JVC cam can read the tapes and has an S-video output you will do just fine with it.
Old April 12th, 2004, 09:56 PM   #293
Regular Crew

Hey Scott. Data is data, there is no loss or change due to the cam you use as the mechanism to transfer it to the HD. (I assume your are connecting via iEEE1394) I'm not a pro, but I did stay at a Holiday Inn last night ;)
Old April 12th, 2004, 10:13 PM   #294
Major Player

I use a ZR40 for a deck.

About the only thing that camera is good for. If you're not shooting on the surface of the sun it's going to be grainy.
Bryan McCullough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 12th, 2004, 11:03 PM   #295
New Boot

Yeah It's going to be done throught Firewire... thanks all. That's good news...
Scott T Anderson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 13th, 2004, 01:38 PM   #296
New Boot

JVC mini DV/SVHS

I use this deck at work and haven't had any problems with it - I use it to go through 2-4 hours of tape a day. Video comes out good, audio is fine, and the DV to SVHS dubbing is a nice little feature.
Jaz Garewal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 13th, 2004, 02:20 PM   #297
Major Player

I use this deck (JVC SR-VS 30U) mini DV and SHVS and really like it. In addition to the dubbing features, you can import vhs/svhs into your NLE through it without a seperate BOB. By using the s-video inputs (both front and rear) you can also import 8mm and Hi-8 from cameras to DV and/or directly to the NLE.

One thing I'd like to mention, though... The menu options are complex and seem to have a logic that doesn't work with my rather arcane brand of logic!

Also, I do wish it had audio meters and headphone jacks.

Good luck
Mike Cavanaugh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 6th, 2004, 05:59 PM   #298
Regular Crew

Best mini DV camcorder as deck?

I have read few threads on the subject, and looked at the pros and cons of having a miniDV deck vs miniDV cam. At this moment my budget does not allow me to consider a miniDV deck. Having said that, I would like to know which camcorder you consider to be the best to use as a deck based on inexpensive price/quality?

These are the few cams mentioned in the threads:

Sharp VL-NZ55U
JVC GR-DVL100U
Panasonic PVDV100
Sony TRV8

Another important feature to have is firewire pass through (Computer NLE -> Firewire -> Cam -> A/V ouputs -> TV Monitor)..and as a bonus, it'd be nice to use it as a back up cam. Are the camcorders above meet these requirements?

Thanks for your comments.

Juan
Juan Parra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 6th, 2004, 06:37 PM   #299
Outer Circle

Buy any miniDV cam with the best warranty. Consider extending the warranty also, if you intend to be putting on the head hours.
Frank Granovski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 1st, 2004, 12:55 PM   #300
Regular Crew

Which Tape Deck Should I get?

I plan on getting a tape deck to transfer my GL2 footage to the Computer throught Premiere Pro. I am wondering what would be a good reliable deck?
Adam Beck is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > The Long Black Line