The gigantic "which camera should I buy" thread! - Page 14 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Open DV Discussion
For topics which don't fit into any of the other categories.

Old April 16th, 2003, 08:58 AM   #196
New Boot

Help with 1st DV Cam choice

Hi Folks: I've looked through a number of posts here - really an excellent source - thanks all. I'm brand new to DV and I think I've narrowed my choices down to Canon Optura 200MC and Sony DCR-PC101 or PC120.

I'd really it to be in the 2.5 x 4.5 x 4.5 size range, just over a pound to pound and a half. Optical stabalization, good lens. I know the Sony doesn't have Optical but it looks like a good one anyway and it's got a Carl Zeiss lens.

I was looking at the Panasonic 852 but it's a bit too big for what I want. Just home shooting really, just my boy wandering around Disney World, the zoo, that sort of thing. I'm already carrying around a Digital SLR and lenses so I just want to pop this cam into my bag and be able to grab it when I need it.

But I do want a good quality cam, good quality video. I'm definitely going to be editing on my PC with Vegas Video or Studio 8/DV.

I like to spend around 1,000 US. What do you think? Thanks, Davidk.
David Kates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 16th, 2003, 09:42 AM   #197
Wrangler

If that's all you need it for, buy the smallest one possible with the best optical stabilizer (since you won't be carrying a tripod most of the time).

Although some people here will argue lines of resolution and CCD size, the picture quality on any modern miniDV camera is very good.
Old April 16th, 2003, 09:48 AM   #198
Wrangler

Optical stabilizer is the way to go. Always look for the one that has a lens and a way of using the exposure controls.

Finally, whenever possible try before you buy.

For quick answers try our Search!
To see me and Rob Lohman click here
Nathan Gifford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 18th, 2003, 08:46 AM   #199
New Boot

Thanks all - I think I've decided on the Canon Optura 200MC. It seems to be the only one in a small size with optical stabalization. Thanks again for your help. Davidk
David Kates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 18th, 2003, 10:42 AM   #200
Wrangler

Cool!
Let us know how you like it!
Old June 7th, 2003, 03:16 PM   #201
Regular Crew

Rookie needs camera advice

I have been contemplating purchasing a Panasonic AJ-D200 from a friend who lives in another State. I've never used the AJ-D200 so I keep wondering if I should instead spend a little more and get one of the newer, smaller digital cameras like the ones featured in the "Spotlight on DV Cameras" section of this forum.

I change my mind every day on this subject and have this nagging feeling that I'll be buying older technology and I'm going to regret it. Plus, I use Vegas Video and since the camera doesn't have firewire, it may be a drawback when I capture video because I don't think it can do scene detection with analog input. Another drawback is the price of a tripod for this camera is going to be expensive because of it's weight.

On the plus side, It seems like the AJ-200 is a pretty solid camera and in excellent condition at a fairly reasonable price of $2,000.

I plan on using whatever camera I get a lot and have many projects already lined up through the next year. My current camera is an el cheapo Sony DV $400.00 camera which has served me well on a few projects but just doesn't cut it. Yes, I'm a rookie but since I started playing with video, I'm like totally obsessed and absolutely love it. If anyone's interested, my first project/corporate event is at http://www.magoomedia.com/media/SportsFest.wmv . It's 10 minutes long and about 38 mb. In retrospect I realize it's too long. Plus my camera didn't do well in the dimly lit night club part.

I'm new to this forum and hoping for any advice from those who are experienced in this camera purchase. Thanks !

Jim Quinlan
Clearwater, Florida
Jim Quinlan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 7th, 2003, 04:49 PM   #202
Outer Circle

>a fairly reasonable price of $2,0000.<

You mean, $2,000.00?
Frank Granovski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 7th, 2003, 04:50 PM   #203
Wrangler

Weeell....
Consider that the tripod isn't the only expensive accessory for it. Basicaly anything else you need to buy will cost your 3x-5x what a "normal" item would cost. Like for example, if it doesn't come with batteries, expect to pay an extra $1000 for a couple batteries and charger. Not kidding.

If it doesn't have firewire, you'll need a DVCPRO deck for digital transfer. I think they are around $2000. For the price you are spending, not having analogue capture is pointless.
Plus, if I'm correct, it has 1/3" CCD chips, the same as an XL1, PD150 and others, so it doesn't even have that as an advantage over newer prosumer cams.

If it was me, I would pass without any regrets.
You can get a brand new GL2 for a couple hundred bucks more.
Old June 8th, 2003, 08:01 PM   #204
Regular Crew

You reinforced my gut feeling that I needed to change directions. The Panasonic DVX100 sounds like it may be a good choice.

Another reason is I really need a smaller camera. I've taken my current small Sony DV camera with me on backpacking trips and wading in the swamps (Everglades) where weight and battery life is a big factor. Unfortunately, humidity zapped my Sony just when I was about to get my best shot ever in the black lagoon in the Big Cypress Preserve.

Thanks for the reply ...
Jim Quinlan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 11th, 2003, 07:34 AM   #205
New Boot

What $1K cam to get?

Hello,
I have read lots of threads on cams and I am still lost. I have one thousand to spend on a cam. Do I get the panny 3 chip, or is there a one chipper that does a better job? Thanks in advance.
Thomas Garcia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 11th, 2003, 10:20 AM   #206
Wrangler

If it were me, I'd find a used very good, low-hour Sony 900 and buy that.
Old July 11th, 2003, 02:29 PM   #207
Outer Circle

Used is one way to go, like with a TRV900. or maybe a EX50U or older EX30U (comes with a docking station). For new in that price range there isn't anything really with good manual controls. Your cheapest option would be the PV-DV953, in way of a new prosumer cam.
Frank Granovski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 11th, 2003, 03:06 PM   #208
Capt. Quirk

There is a used GL1 for sale on this board for $1200. I like mine enough to recommend it.
K. Forman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 11th, 2003, 05:06 PM   #209
Regular Crew

I would suggest Canon Optura-20. I own this cam and I like it (except motor noice, little louder than other brand cams). It comes under $700. You can buy extra batt, SD card and wide angle lens for the remaining money. Try it in a store first.
If you use it to do real video work, consider a good mic for it.
Old July 12th, 2003, 10:44 AM   #210
Trustee

Got to be an ELURA, I can't recommend this camera enough. it's got progressive scan the ability to hold a memory card still takes great video after using it to load lots of tapes. Canon Elura.
Nick Hiltgen is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion