Windows 10 free? - Page 3 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion

Open DV Discussion
For topics which don't fit into any of the other categories.

Old December 6th, 2015, 09:21 AM   #31
Inner Circle

Re: Windows 10 free?

Acronis doesn't seem to work on my system at all, I got the 2015 and upgraded to the 2016 version which made no difference so a waste of money as it still can't manage to boot from a dvd or usb while the free version reflect can...
With reflect I made a sector by sector image from the entire disc so I am sure it will be exactly back to how it was.
Noa Put is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 6th, 2015, 11:29 AM   #32
Major Player

I have a feeling that it was the un-allotted partition that Win10 created that complicated matters (partition table etc) with ATI 2016. And the feedback I've received just now suggests that the WD MyBookLive network access issue would (likely) be resolved by a clean install of the latest Win10 version, not the upgrade version that was downloaded through updates. I'm not sure I'd want to make that jump at this time.
Bryan Worsley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 6th, 2015, 12:44 PM   #33
Major Player

is the windows Diagnostics Tracking Service included in the new Win 10 distro?

I removed it from my Win 8.1 when I found it running after installing itself without me knowing about it.

Last edited by Rob Cantwell; December 6th, 2015 at 01:13 PM. Reason: clarity
Rob Cantwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 6th, 2015, 03:23 PM   #34
Inner Circle

I was searching online to see if there was more to find about the reason behind this free upgrade, I found that this art explains it pretty well: Why Windows 10 isn't really free: The subtle new world of built-in costs | PCWorld

I don't see anything wrong in upgrading to 10 if you have a paid license for 7 or 8, even if your current OS works fine, you should get a better and more modern/streamlined OS, for those that are worried about MS spying on you, just disconnect from the internet and when you edit and connect only if you really need to, there is allready free software, like this "shutup10" and likely more to follow that will help you shut off most things that call home and for those afraid for privacy invasion, well welcome to 2015. If I want to install a useful app on my phone it already warns me if I want to get it it needs access to about anything, the manufacturers probably know when and where I"m sitting on the toilet in a public place because they could track my location as every phone these days is also a GPS. If you want privacy on a pc, just pull out the internet cable and if you want privacy on a phone, buy a model from 10 years ago :)
Old December 6th, 2015, 03:41 PM   #35
Inner Circle

Like I said, they are just catching up to Apple and Android who have exactly the same model but with bigger app stores at the moment.

Ron Evans
Ron Evans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 6th, 2015, 03:46 PM   #36
Inner Circle

Yeah, Microsoft only arrived late to the party :)
Old December 7th, 2015, 10:54 AM   #37
Major Player

I still use Adobe CS4 & have read on issues after a Win10 upgrade, therefore I'm holding off. I've thought about upgrading my laptop to it just to check it out, but every now & then I do a little bit in Photoshop on it so I'd prefer to keep it, even tho it's only once or twice a year I really use it.
David Barnett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 9th, 2015, 08:07 PM   #38
Major Player

I updated an old PC thats been retired from active service to Win 10 and, after turning off all the bloat etc. seems to be chugging along fine.

I installed it on my main computer too, but have removed it again as I have a 1 Tb SSD sitting on the desk beside me along with an extra 16 Gigs or RAM. I'd like to get all that installed and then will see about Win 10.

Invariably most will end up using Win 10, it'll be installed on all new PCs from now on and eventually there'll be some sort of software that will be only Win 10 compatible.

I remember my first 'real' computer it was made by Phillips and was a 086 with a massive 30 Mb HD and had Windows 1 on it. Ah! those were the days.
Old December 24th, 2015, 01:20 PM   #39
Major Player

And now I'm seeing this (attached below) pop up ad every time I sign out of Outlook in IE and Firefox.

I've resisted clicking on the "Learn More" button just in case it's a scam/malware ad. I have AdBlock Plus enabled in both browsers but you never know.

Might be purely co-incidence, but it seems odd that I am now experiencing hangs when signing into Outlook. Are they perhaps scanning my system?

Either way, I don't like that one bit. I'm taking to web browsing in Linux. No pop-up message or Outlook hangs in Firefox there.
Attached Thumbnails
Windows 10 free?-windows-10-flash-message.png  

Last edited by Bryan Worsley; December 24th, 2015 at 03:13 PM.
Old December 24th, 2015, 02:22 PM   #40
Major Player

To answer Noa's original question - yes, I'm staying Windows 10 free.:-)

Merry Chrismas!

Dave
Dave Baker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 24th, 2015, 03:09 PM   #41
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryan Worsley View Post
Are they perhaps scanning my system?
Further thoughts: After I rolled back from the Win10 upgrade to Win7, I went on to recover a full disc backup that I'd made of the Win7 system before I installed the 'optional' (KB3035583) Windows Update that harbours that 'Win10 Upgrade' widget. Makes me wonder if MS have planted something in Outlook that scans for the Win10 Upgrade widget and if it's not there invokes this Win10 upgrade nag pop-up on signing out.

I'm not particularly inclined to test that by installing KB3035583 again, but if that is the case then that is definitely invasion of privacy.

Hi Dave ! A Merry Christmas to you also ;>)
Old December 24th, 2015, 03:15 PM   #42
Inner Circle

If you had auto update turned on then Windows downloaded lots of stuff to check if your PC could be updated. If you search there is lots on the internet on how to remove those updates that cause the window you keep getting. I have two PC's on WIN 10 , my wife's and my laptop both work great. Laptop is running EDIUS 8.1 WG . My two editing systems will stay WIN7 as one has EDIUS 6.08 and there will not be a WIN 10 driver for the dongle and the other PC has lots of older software on it too. I do not let WIndows do an auto update on any of them. Shutup10 will effectively do the same for WIN 10.

Both my wife's PC and my laptop were an update not a clean install and was painless though I did backup everything before I started and removed all virus checking etc before letting the update proceed.

I like WIN 10 it seems faster at most things.

Ron Evans
Old December 24th, 2015, 03:34 PM   #43
Major Player

I don't have auto update turned on in Win7. I'm set for "Check for updates but let me choose whether to download and install them". And I never install Optional updates unless needed to fix a particular issue, which is very rare. So, are you suggesting that MS might have put something in a 'Critical' update? Seems strange then that I only started getting this Outlook-related pop-up since yesterday. And the only Update installed in the past few days (since "Patch Tuesday" in fact) was a definition update for MSSE.

Irrespective of the relative merits of Win10 and Win7 I find this upgrade promotion strategy creepy and a bit disconcerting. Maybe I'm too naive......hopefully not too paranoid

....or maybe not:

http://www.forbes.com/sites/amitchow...d-talko-deals/

Last edited by Bryan Worsley; December 25th, 2015 at 12:41 AM.
Old December 24th, 2015, 06:11 PM   #44
Inner Circle

Can't answer that as the WIN10's I have work fine and my WIN7's do not show what yours show.

Ron Evans
Old December 26th, 2015, 08:37 AM   #45
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryan Worsley View Post
Irrespective of the relative merits of Win10 and Win7 I find this upgrade promotion strategy creepy and a bit disconcerting. Maybe I'm too naive......hopefully not too paranoid

....or maybe not:

Forbes Welcome
Click on "Proceed to Site" if the link doesn't open to the article directly: "Microsoft Monday: Windows 10 Upgrade Worsens."
Bryan Worsley is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion