Windows 10 free? - Page 5 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion

Open DV Discussion
For topics which don't fit into any of the other categories.

Old December 27th, 2015, 01:02 PM   #61
Inner Circle

Re: Windows 10 free?

It is I guess because outlook can be used for free so MS can push advertisement right in your face if they want to, only the way they try to achieve this is questionable since it seems to require installing something on your pc without your knowlegde. I for instance am not getting this pop up when I log out of outlook on win 7 pro and the reason why could be that I haven't installed a update in months.
MS approach will have a opposite effect of what they trying to achieve, they are just being too aggressive but who can blame them, they probably need this in order to survive. It reminds me of the Borg in Star Trek; "Resistance Is Futile" and we all will be assimilated, whether we want it or not :D
Noa Put is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 27th, 2015, 01:08 PM   #62
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noa Put View Post
MS approach will have a opposite effect of what they trying to achieve, they are just being too aggressive but who can blame them, they probably need this in order to survive.
Exactly that......except maybe for the "who can blame them bit" ;>)

Reminds me of the Martha Reeves song "Nowhere to run Baby, nowhere to hide....da,da,da"
Bryan Worsley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 27th, 2015, 01:18 PM   #63
Inner Circle

When Apple cut off it's industry standard editing program final cut pro they didn't ask their users if they where ok with that, they just do it because they found other ways to make even more money, MS doesn't care about the user either, they also have to make money and because windows users are not locked into a closed system they tend hold on longer to what works but that doesn't do MS any good so they have to be more aggressive to try to lock people into having no choice, Like apple did from the start, only Apple doesn't need to be so sneaky to try to convince their users they need to move on, they never have given them much choice so people are used to that and they are also very good in convincing their users that their next thing is always better :)

Last edited by Noa Put; December 27th, 2015 at 01:54 PM.
Old December 27th, 2015, 01:32 PM   #64
Major Player

Spot on again Noa.
Old December 27th, 2015, 01:37 PM   #65
Equal Opportunity Offender

Maybe Microsoft saw how Adobe pressured their users over to the subscription model, and see it as the future when users aren't in as much pain and needing to upgrade any more.

Andrew
Andrew Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 27th, 2015, 01:44 PM   #66
Major Player

Yes, I think that's where it's heading too......all up in the "cloud".
Old December 30th, 2015, 08:57 AM   #67
Equal Opportunity Offender

There is a saying: If it is free then you are the product.

Andrew
Andrew Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 30th, 2015, 12:58 PM   #68
Major Player

How true....and, arguably, even if you are paying it's still no better. The new business paradigm.

Last edited by Bryan Worsley; December 30th, 2015 at 09:13 PM.
Old January 3rd, 2016, 10:17 PM   #69
Major Player

Interesting article, and more particularly the embedded radio interview with Microsoft Marketing Chief Chris Capossela:

Microsoft explains why it's pushing Windows 10 so aggressively (spoiler: it's to keep you safe)

Interpret his comments how you will.

The part that gets me is the blatant scaremongering he gets across by first stating that Windows 7 users when buying new hardware are going to be finding that their (emphasized "ten-year old ") OS is no longer compatible, which he then follows up with an assurance that Microsoft is working closely with it's hardware partners to ensure full compatibility with Windows 10. Shameful tactics if you ask me.

Last edited by Bryan Worsley; January 3rd, 2016 at 10:51 PM.
Old January 4th, 2016, 05:10 AM   #70
Major Player

I've upgraded to win 10 on three computers and then had to go an turn off all the new 'features' than did a sweep with O&O ShutUp10 which essentially can lock down you PC from Microsoft other than unplugging from the internet.
Theres a slight speed increase over win 7/8
Old January 4th, 2016, 07:29 AM   #71
Inner Circle

[QUOTE=Bryan Worsley;1906229

The part that gets me is the blatant scaremongering he gets across by first stating that Windows 7 users when buying new hardware are going to be finding that their (emphasized "ten-year old ") OS is no longer compatible, which he then follows up with an assurance that Microsoft is working closely with it's hardware partners to ensure full compatibility with Windows 10. Shameful tactics if you ask me.[/QUOTE]

Well that was true for WIN7 too. I have a Dell 24" monitor with no supported drivers beyond WIN Vista, a HP Laser printer with no WIN7 drivers etc etc. And Ediius 6.08 will not work beyond WIN7 because of dongle drivers. By the way I can't get a heated steering wheel in my car fitted either. It is always the case that if you want the new stuff it usually means new hardware and software that work together. I have no problem with the intent of Microsoft but the attitude is not always acceptable but in a way no different to Apple or Google. You need new hardware and software to run the latest features on iOS or Android.

I intend to stay on WIN7 for both my editing PC's because they have hardware and software that will never get WIN10 drivers. So until I stop using them they will stay. However I will make myself a new PC in March and it will be WIN10. The 2 PC's I have running WIN10 seem to be faster than when they were on WIN7 and WIN8.1. I have used Shutup10 to turn almost everything off !! Don't use Outlook, Edge or Bing !!

Ron Evans
Ron Evans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 4th, 2016, 09:00 AM   #72
Major Player

Well, if "Use Windows 7 at your peril" (which he actually says) is not scaremongering, I don't know what it is.

And it is a big deal, as reading between the lines, there is clear inference that Windows 10 will be the last 'licensed volume' and an effective springboard to their cloud-based model i.e. the "better and safer place"...for Microsoft.

Anyhow, for anyone not inclined to listen to the whole thing, the interview with Caposella kicks-off at about 8 minutes in. The specific topics covered that are relevant to this discussion are:

Cloud-based - 'freemium' vs 'premium' model (16-24 mins)

Windows 7 vs Windows 10 (27-32mins)

Privacy (32-35 mins)

Like I said, make of it what you will.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Evans View Post
Don't use Outlook, Edge or Bing !!
I've taken to all browsing, and Skyping, in Linux.

Last edited by Bryan Worsley; January 4th, 2016 at 11:00 AM.
Old January 15th, 2016, 07:55 AM   #73
Major Player

Forbes Welcome

Again, interpret how you will.

Edit: As with the other Forbes articles - if the link opens to the Forbes welcome page, click on the top-right (countdown) 'Proceed to Site' button to open the article.
Old January 15th, 2016, 08:08 AM   #74
Inner Circle

I prepared a 3 year old pc (my previous editing machine) with win10 for my wife and so far so good, during installation I didn't choose the express but advanced install where I allready shut off all "phone home" parts and then used shutup10 to close any other remaning doors. My wife's very pleased with win10, it runs smooth and all her older programs run without an issue. People just have to realize that once you go on the internet nothing is private anymore.
Old January 15th, 2016, 12:23 PM   #75
Major Player

Windows 10 and privacy: Whom should you trust? | InfoWorld

Would be interesting to know ShutUp10 does with that.

I just find it ridiculous state of affairs that one should have to resort to these measures.
Bryan Worsley is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion