Windows 10 free? - Page 9 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion

Open DV Discussion
For topics which don't fit into any of the other categories.

Old June 19th, 2016, 08:36 AM   #121
Inner Circle

Re: Windows 10 free?

Only windows 7 and 8 apply for a free upgrade.
Noa Put is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 19th, 2016, 03:21 PM   #122
Major Player

I took the plunge. Had it on my laptop, wasn't diggin it but all my Adobe CS4 worked on Windows 10, contrary to what I read online. My PC was getting bogged down so I did a fresh install of Win 7, but it just seemed a bit behind. Alot of updates weren't working, just didn't seem to run on all 8 cylinders. So I upgraded to Win 10.

Gotta say, I really do like it. My fave was XP but I think 10 is fast becoming my 2nd favorite.
David Barnett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 23rd, 2016, 11:37 AM   #123
Inner Circle

Been testdriving win 10 the past weeks and no real problems to report, what I do like about it is that it's a polished version of 7, everything just looks better (more up to date) and software integrates better with the system. One "issue" however which I said before is that edius only works right with a specific driver for the onboard gpu in win 10, I didn't notice anything unusual but I have compared rendertests where Edius uses the onboard gpu to see if there where any speed differences and a one hour file took 1minute longer to render in win 10 compared to win 7, nothing worth mentioning but it shows that the older driver that I have to use in win 10 is less optimized as the newer version I"m able to use under win 7.

Under win 7 edius also feels snappier, in win 10 it looks like it needs to think for a split second before it does anything.

I switched back to 7 now and will keep 10 aside just incase I might need it for whatever reason, at least I know now it works and switching is just a matter of plug and play. For my needs win7 is just fine right now.
Old July 24th, 2016, 11:13 AM   #124
Inner Circle

I have just upgraded my system to WIN10 and have not yet done an encode test like you Noa but to me EDIUS 8.2WG seems a lot snappier with WIN10 than WIN7. Maybe with the next update to EDIUS it will use the latest Intel driver too. I am staying with WIN10 though. I of course have turned off almost everything with Shutup10 and Anti-Beacon though.

Ron Evans
Ron Evans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 24th, 2016, 03:28 PM   #125
Inner Circle

I used shutup 10 as well to turn off most phone home stuff, was surprised how many information microsoft wants to send back to them about the way you use your pc, they might as well send someone over to sit next to you the entire day and see what you are doing, then at least you would have someone to talk to.
Old July 28th, 2016, 07:28 AM   #126
Major Player

No problems with Windows 10 here either. MS tricked my system into updating, because I had been waiting till they worked most bugs out. But so far it's been great. Some things that were flaky with W7 became good (like they should have been in the first place).
Old September 25th, 2016, 09:05 PM   #127
Major Player

Microsoft Just Got Another Reason to Watch Everything You Do

"Thin end of the (w)edge" if you ask me.
Bryan Worsley is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion