Windows 10 free? - Page 4 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion

Open DV Discussion
For topics which don't fit into any of the other categories.

Old December 26th, 2015, 08:45 AM   #46
Inner Circle

Re: Windows 10 free?

All I can say is that this is not happening to any of my 3 Win 7 PC's. No prompts to upgrade etc. Nothing. So not sure where the information in the Forbes article comes from but it is not happening to my PC's.

Ron Evans

edit see if this helps. http://winsupersite.com/windows-10/h...ng-your-system
Ron Evans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 26th, 2015, 12:12 PM   #47
Inner Circle

I've been reading around and the general consensus seems that if you are on win 8 then win 10 will only be a better experience but if you are on win 7, there is at this moment no reason to upgrade if all works fine. Eventually we all will have to switch because at some point your hard- or software will require OS update.
Noa Put is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 26th, 2015, 12:49 PM   #48
Inner Circle

I think WIN7/8 will be supported to 2020 after that you may be on your own or update to WIN10. Certainly with my touch based laptop which had WIN 8.1, WIN 10 is better and faster. Just do not want to play around with the editing PC's or my email PC as they have to many pieces of software that may not work. I had removed KB3035583 as soon as I learned about it. With new functionality being available on software updates that may only work with WIN10 updating may be essential at some point in time.

Ron Evans
Old December 26th, 2015, 12:59 PM   #49
Inner Circle

I will leave win 7 pro on my editing pc, it has proven to be a very reliable OS and it works with all my soft- and hardware so there is no reason in changing, I also disabled win 7 updates longer time ago because this pc only connects to the internet for software updates. I will install win 10 on another pc though that has permanent internet access.
Old December 27th, 2015, 12:40 AM   #50
Equal Opportunity Offender

Wow. Microsoft is becoming a real jerk. It will eventually become worthwhile to invest in separate networking hardware to block access from / to their upgrade push site.

Andrew
Andrew Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 27th, 2015, 02:28 AM   #51
Inner Circle

From what I understand it's a matter of not installing KB3035583?
Old December 27th, 2015, 04:42 AM   #52
Inner Circle

I'm now reinstalling Windows 10 for the second time - a perfectly stable Windows 7 machine now unable to perform without BSOD - and this was a complete clean install. Brand new C: drive, brand new Windows 10 on USB stick. I don't mind the look and the feel of 10, but my old MAYA internal PCI card refuses to work despite the drivers saying the are 10 compatible, and all in all, it's a mess. At the moment it's reinstalling, but what is the settings it will add an extra windows version rather than repair or repair the old on - the options are very unclear. I have two weeks to fix it and make it stable. Drivers that appear in device manager as working, but don't and others that appear to install and don't appear. VSTi's that crash. I really wish I'd not started. A drive died - and that was the only reason for updating. I'd left the Windows 7 discs at home, so Amazon was the quickest option, but perhaps, a silly one!
Paul R Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 27th, 2015, 04:53 AM   #53
Inner Circle

How old is the pc you are installing it on? Your harddrive might be new but maybe your motherboard is not win 10 compatible? I always make a image from my OS and programs right after the first install and when I"m sure it's stable so whenever I test something and if it goes completely wrong I can have a stable OS running within 20 or so minutes.
Old December 27th, 2015, 07:33 AM   #54
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Smith View Post
Wow. Microsoft is becoming a real jerk. It will eventually become worthwhile to invest in separate networking hardware to block access from / to their upgrade push site.

Andrew
They are just copying Apple and Android.

Ron Evans
Old December 27th, 2015, 07:50 AM   #55
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noa Put View Post
How old is the pc you are installing it on? Your harddrive might be new but maybe your motherboard is not win 10 compatible? .
Isn't Win10 supposed to perform a full compatibility scan before it installs? At least that's what the Win10 upgrade widget assured me before I proceeded with the upgrade:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryan Worsley View Post
....Well I took the plunge last night. Created a full disc image back-up of the Win7 system before installing the Win10 update widget (KB3035583). Rebooted and opened the widget, which reported that my PC is compatible for upgrade. I requested a full compatibility report only to be told that was not possible at this time( ?) but that on proceeding to upgrade a full compatibility scan would be performed before installation.

Went ahead with the upgrade now option....
Actually, I never saw any "full" compatibility report or message of any kind. It just proceeded to the upgrade installation, which I assumed to mean that there were no incompatibilities.
Feel sorry for you Paul; makes my upgrade experience seem like a minor inconvenience. Just trying to understand:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul R Johnson View Post
I'm now reinstalling Windows 10 for the second time - a perfectly stable Windows 7 machine now unable to perform without BSOD - and this was a complete clean install. Brand new C: drive, brand new Windows 10 on USB stick.
So, the first Win10 installation was not via the upgrade widget then? Thought you had to go through the upgrade process first in order to be able to perform a clean (re)install?
Bryan Worsley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 27th, 2015, 09:52 AM   #56
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Evans View Post
All I can say is that this is not happening to any of my 3 Win 7 PC's. No prompts to upgrade etc. Nothing. So not sure where the information in the Forbes article comes from but it is not happening to my PC's.

Ron Evans

edit see if this helps. http://winsupersite.com/windows-10/h...ng-your-system
This pop-up message only and always appears upon signing out from Outlook, and irrespective of whether I use IE or Firefox. It does not appear when I access Outlook via Firefox on a Linux desktop (same PC, different drive) and neither does it appear on my wife's PC, which is still running Vista. So, it's not some generic message/ad.

This is the first Win10 upgrade pop-up ad/nag I have encountered on this PC. I only installed the KB3035583 update widget just before performing the upgrade, and now, after rolling back to Win7 and then restoring a backup made before installing KB3035583, my PC is back to how it was....or so I think. The KB3035583 is still sitting there in the list of 'Optional' windows updates that have not been installed.

So what is triggering this pop-up message on signing out from Outlook then? Does Outlook simply detect that I am not browsing with Microsoft Edge, or does it prompt a "deeper" scan of my PC, possibly to detect whether the KB3035583 update is installed or not i.e. if they can't nag me via the KB3035583 upgrade widget, they can do so through Outlook. Like I said, what seemed odd was that just before this pop-up first appeared, I had difficulty signing in to Outlook - would hang for a long period before slowly opening. Now I have no problem signing in - so maybe the stalling was due to MS scanning my PC and logging it's findings.

Sorry to keep harping on about this silly and seemingly innocuous 'pop-up', but it is important. The fact that MS have found another way (that is both both covert and intrusive) to induce me to upgrade to Win10, leaves me wondering what other coercions and marketing tricks will be brought to bare on (perceived) stubborn Win7 "last standers" in the coming months to accept an "offer that (ultimately) you can't refuse". And really, the only reason I did "decline" at this point was because of LAN access issues that are important to the way I work. Had everything been hunky-dory I'd probably now be saying "Hey, come on, dive-in, the water's lovely".

As to why you are not seeing this message Ron on your Win7 PC's - maybe you are just not using Outlook ? Or maybe I've been... gasp!....singled out.

Edit: Regarding the source of the information in the Forbes article. The article states that it came from Forbes contributor Gordon Kelly and provides a link to another article (from Dec 16th) by him:

Forbes Welcome

Again, if the link opens to the Forbes welcome page, click on the top-right (countdown) 'Proceed to Site' button to open the article.

Quite a scathing introduction, quote:

"Choice. After all the software improvements, promotional offers and good intentions, ‘choice’ is the big factor Microsoft (MSFT -0.24%) forgot to consider with Windows 10. Falling adoption rates have seen the company’s initial smugness evolve into incredulity and increasingly dirty tactics and now Microsoft appears to have forgotten about respecting choice entirely because life for Windows 7 and Windows 8 users is about to get a lot worse…"

Last edited by Bryan Worsley; December 27th, 2015 at 11:13 AM.
Old December 27th, 2015, 10:10 AM   #57
Inner Circle

I don't get these update messages on my win 7 pc but that's because I haven't applied a windows update in months and my pc is configured not to look for updates by itself, how does this message appear when you log out of outlook?
Old December 27th, 2015, 10:19 AM   #58
Major Player

As per the screen shot I attached in Post #39 above:

http://www.dvinfo.net/forum/open-dv-...ml#post1905766

There's the pop-up and also an add behind it in the MSN window. Both disappear with a click of the X on the pop-up. But that's not the point.
Old December 27th, 2015, 10:58 AM   #59
Inner Circle

No I do not use Outlook. I use Thunderbird as my mail program and source is Rogers Yahoo pop3 server. Browser is Firefox.

Ron Evans
Old December 27th, 2015, 11:14 AM   #60
Major Player

Well that would likely explain why you're not seeing the pop-up nag.

Edit: Just saw this:

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/w...783946a?auth=1

This is the same pop-up I am referring to. How is this "perfectly appropriate given that many people have Hotmail / Live / Outlook logons". No it's not.

Last edited by Bryan Worsley; December 27th, 2015 at 12:58 PM.
Bryan Worsley is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion