Windows 10 free? - Page 8 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Open DV Discussion
For topics which don't fit into any of the other categories.

Old April 3rd, 2016, 01:02 AM   #106
Inner Circle

Re: Windows 10 free?

Noa:

I have downloaded and installed many thime on my Wndows 7 box, to see if if the problem I was having with Vegas in that particular box might have been resolved. Each time I used the on board capability of returning to Window 7 and have done so without loss of any on board programs. My issue has to be a driver problem somewhere in the box, and I haven't been able to solve it. But I would suggest trying to load the Windows 10 and see how everything runs. It will take about an hour or two, and returning the box to Windows 7 is very fast. Maybe, half an hour at most.
Old April 3rd, 2016, 03:24 AM   #107
Inner Circle

I have a older program I need for my bookkeeping that won't run on windows 10, that's one of the reasons I am not upgrading, I just don't see any benefit right now to upgrade to 10, eventhough I recently have purchased a new pc. Everything I need and use for my editing runs stable on win 7 pro.
Noa Put is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 3rd, 2016, 04:09 AM   #108
Equal Opportunity Offender

I agree wholeheartedly about the interface. It's probably the intention to have it so simple that kids can pick it up almost straight away. On the other hand, I prefer Win 7 for when you just want to get work done.

Andrew
Andrew Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 29th, 2016, 04:44 AM   #109
Major Player

Couldn't resist:

Bryan Worsley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 29th, 2016, 08:20 PM   #110
Trustee

I saw this last night also! I think this perfectly highlights just how pervasive these non-stop Windows update requests are.

Ironically, I had one pop up as soon as I clicked on this thread.
John Wiley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 29th, 2016, 10:01 PM   #111
Equal Opportunity Offender

I highly recommend "GWX Control Panel" (here at Ultimate Outsider - Software Downloads) for enabling the user to put an end to this nagware pestilence.

Andrew
Andrew Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 5th, 2016, 08:03 AM   #112
Major Player

Here's another..

https://www.theguardian.com/technolo...gaming-streams

And also.....

Windows 10's built-in search now supports Bing and Microsoft's Edge exclusively | ZDNet

Last edited by Bryan Worsley; May 5th, 2016 at 10:32 AM.
Old May 5th, 2016, 08:08 AM   #113
Major Player

Erased - duplicate of last post

Last edited by Bryan Worsley; May 5th, 2016 at 10:32 AM.
Old May 5th, 2016, 10:51 AM   #114
Major Player

One step better than GWX...

https://www.grc.com/never10.htm
Ed Roo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 6th, 2016, 05:03 AM   #115
Major Player

Thanks - yes, I was aware of Never10, but I'd held off on using it, or GWX-CP, as I'm always a bit wary of tools that make registry changes. Plus I was (reasonably) confident that I had passively evaded Win10 upgrade "implants" by not installing those optional updates known to harbor the upgrade widget and the last two "important" cumulative IE11 updates - and browsing only with Firefox or in Linux.

Trying Never10 just now however, it reports that "Windows 10 OS Upgrade is ENABLED on this system". Well I never! With that knowledge (after a full system disc back-up) I've installed the cumulative IE11 updates and set Never10 to "Disable Win10 Upgrade". I'll see how it goes.
Old May 6th, 2016, 05:16 AM   #116
Major Player

Thanks - yes, I was aware of Never10, but I'd held off on using it, or GWX-CP, as I'm always a bit wary of tools that make registry changes. Plus I was (reasonably) confident that I had passively evaded Win10 upgrade "implants" by not installing those optional updates known to harbor the upgrade widget and the last two "important" cumulative IE11 updates - and browsing only with Firefox or in Linux.

Trying Never10 just now however, I find that "Windows 10 OS Upgrade is ENABLED on this system". Well I never! With that knowledge (after a full system disc back-up) I've installed the cumulative IE11 updates and set Never10 to "Disable Win10 Upgrade". I'll see how it goes.
Old June 5th, 2016, 12:53 PM   #117
Major Player

Even in remotest Africa, Windows 10 nagware ruins your day: Update burns satellite link cash ? The Register

They just don't care do they !
Old June 18th, 2016, 12:24 AM   #118
Inner Circle

I just cloned my win 7 pro drive to a separate drive and upgraded to win10pro on my main drive for free while the offer still lasted, I can still go back to my win7 pro installation because it's configured to not receive or install updates and it's not going to be updated at all anymore, I have it like this for the last years and it has worked out fine for my editing purposes.

I just wanted to testdrive win10pro to see if it's worth my time, there will come a time where we won't have any other choice to upgrade and while it's offered free I thought now was the best time to try out.

I did a upgrade instead of a clean install so I didn't waste any time reinstalling all my programs and drivers and so far all seems to be working fine, one thing that was extremely annoying is the windows update part as they don't allow you anymore to select what updates you want/don't want installed. Edius 8 requires a specific driver to make quicksync work and windows update kept overwriting that driver with the latest one, it took me a while to find out what changes I needed to make and to finally found a tool from Microsoft that allows you to hide certain driver updates so windows leaves them alone.

Now it's time to try it out :)
Noa Put is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 19th, 2016, 08:14 AM   #119
Major Player

All three computer that i have are now Win 10, had a few small probs initially but they've been stable now for a few months. One or two programs didn't like it but i was able to run them in compatibility mode so all good.
Old June 19th, 2016, 08:29 AM   #120
Major Player

I have a vista64 dell laptop wich I'd like to load win10 but can't find the free version of upgrade
Bruce Dempsey is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion