Show Your Work 2005 - Page 41 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Show Your Work
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Show Your Work
Let's see what you're doing!

Closed Thread

Old July 18th, 2005, 09:44 AM   #601
Regular Crew

Awsome Idea!!

Great work! I think it's great that you fashioned this after the Thunderbirds! When I was a very little kid (maybe 4 to 7 years old) the Thunderbirds were my heroes! (you know, some kids like spider man, others batman...) Keep it up, man...let the Thunderbirds live on!
Old July 22nd, 2005, 09:17 AM   #602
New Boot

new short

Hi guys, this is my first post to this forum, I think, may have posted once before but anyway I'm calling this my official first post. I submit to you a short I recently put together shot on DVX100 for your enjoyment and critique. The piece can be viewed at

http://redzonefilms.com

Though the site is not completed, the film link works fine.

Thanks, and happy to be a member
Old July 22nd, 2005, 05:54 PM   #603
Regular Crew

Very nice; simple and effective. The narrative relates well with the imagery. I'd do some color grading on the scenes to connect them more closely and to add some warmth. The whole piece had a calm, serene feeling, and I would have liked to see the images warm up just a tid bit to help communicate that feeling. Also, it would have been nice to have a streaming movie because the download on the website took a while even at about 200kBps. Keep up the great work Michael!
Old July 22nd, 2005, 07:41 PM   #604
Regular Crew

Congrats guys on getting into Entertainment Weekly!
Old July 22nd, 2005, 07:48 PM   #605
Major Player

Michael, great work. Very skillfully put together documentary-style piece. It seemed perhaps very correctly balanced, but it could use some warmth.
Old July 22nd, 2005, 08:02 PM   #606

Hi, Michael. Welcome!

I really enjoyed your film. It reminded me of my "special place" where I grew up in West Virginia.

There were only two things that I found distracting. The first was the narration coming out of the right channel only (why?). Then, toward the end of the film, the narration's tone changed a couple times--very distracting.

The second thing that became apparent rather quickly was the lack of camera motion--pans, tilts, zooming, tracking--I think this would have added more interest and variety to the shoots. Don't get me wrong, they were beautifully shot. Had the water not been moving it would have felt like a slide show. Some shots could have been more dynamic with the addition of camera movement.

Just my two cents.
Old July 22nd, 2005, 10:51 PM   #607
New Boot

Thanks for the wonderful input...When you say warmth do you mean more color saturation? or a gamma setting to lower contrast and lower black levels?

I was aware of the slideshow effect and as a new budding filmaker It is something I am steadilly improving on, my first video looked like a powerpoint presentation.

Thanks.
Old July 22nd, 2005, 10:56 PM   #608
New Boot

the audio on one channel only was due to the fact that I recorded narration using a wired lav and an sm58, one on each channel. The Lav picked up a stronger signal and I never got around to mixing the two. Learn from it I did!
Old July 23rd, 2005, 02:33 AM   #609
Major Player

Warmer in terms of color. As I said, it's probably a pretty perfect image the way it is, but it could be a little warmer, a little orange tint to it. Very little. Very technically sound.
Old July 24th, 2005, 10:57 PM   #610
Regular Crew

autopsy video

my first film part of something bigger..this short will be shown in a longer film as a breifing from one of the main CEO of a big corporation.

seems the film grain 'Noise" look disapered when I uploaded it. shot with xl1

hope you like

spencers secret.wmv

Pete
Old July 25th, 2005, 12:29 PM   #611
Major Player

That was awesome.

I loved it and the 'Payoff' was not at all expected; made me go 'Ooohh!' for a second. Bravo.
Old July 25th, 2005, 02:56 PM   #612
Regular Crew

Creepy fun. Thanks!

-Matt

a pixel a day keeps boredom at bay
Old July 25th, 2005, 04:42 PM   #613
Major Player

First Short Preview

Hey,

Friends and I put together a short a few weeks ago. This is our first attempt at a movie. Here is a little something I put together today while waiting on some microcrystalline wax.

Enjoy!

http://www.putfile.com/media.php?n=Quats-Preview
Old July 27th, 2005, 02:11 PM   #614
Regular Crew

Thanks Steve!

Yeah, that was an unexpectred surprise...

The Entertainment Weekly folks really got into the whole Channel 102/101 experience I guess. I'm just psyched we got profiled in the same side-bar graphic as Jack Black.

COOL!

We screened episode 7 on MOnday, and it got voted back, so the series finale will be in September.

Anyone who's interested can check out the first 7 episodes on our website, www.cowboyandjohn.com in the media section.
Old July 29th, 2005, 12:54 PM   #615
Regular Crew

very nicely put together.

I agree; the acting does seem very natural, sincere. I found that I was "in" the story; many lower cost films have acting that simply doesn't allow for the viewer to relate. Your's was done very well. Great job for your lower budget!

~Clint Grant~
Closed Thread

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Show Your Work