Show Your Work 2005 - Page 39 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Show Your Work
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Show Your Work
Let's see what you're doing!

Closed Thread

Old July 2nd, 2005, 03:05 PM   #571
Inner Circle

Some ways of looking at things:

A- Consider your audience.
How will they be getting to your website? Are you trying to land clients who stumble upon your website? (In this case, you might want to put the best stuff in the first 15-30 seconds because these people may be looking at multiple sites and have limited time.)
Or is the website for clients who you've already spoken with?

B- Demonstrate something that shows you can solve your client's needs. What they really want to know is that you can help solve on of their problems. They may not necessarily care that you've been in business for 20 years.

The nice thing about a website is that the client can pick whatever it is they're interested in. You can divvy up footage based on type, i.e. commercials, corporate (training, presentations, etc.)

2- In the presentation page, I would add some height to the embed tag so people can see the Quicktime controls. It's not clear when the video ends.
As well, people may want to skip over sections they don't care about (which is better, because they'll hopefully land on something they do care about). With the QT controls, people can scrub through the reel.

3- What's a presentation reel? (I honestly don't know. It sounds like it's a demo reel?)
More importantly, will your clients know what a presentation reel is? Do you think they'll clink on that link? (which is a little hard to read)

What's the purpose of a presentation reel? If you could spell that out, it'll give some focus to criticism.
For example, a commercial might have really good storytelling (and people here may give you lots of positive feedback for it) but if it doesn't help sell the product then it may not be that good.
Old July 2nd, 2005, 03:17 PM   #572
Major Player

Thanks.

I changed it a long time ago.

Here's the new link:

www.pixel-mesh.com/media/video/133.mov
Old July 2nd, 2005, 06:11 PM   #573
Major Player

Thanks for the reply Glen.

I chose controller="false" in my QT embed tag since the movie is skinned with its own controls. I will agree, however, that I should redesign the controls.
Old July 2nd, 2005, 09:15 PM   #574
Wrangler

Hi Dave,

My thoughts:

The video's message is too unfocused and too busy.

Unfortunately, it just comes across like "we do all this stuff in the media world". It didn't tell me anything more than the name "Carter Media". Even after a 2nd viewing, I don't know what Carter Media does.

In additon, the different parts of the video are all clamoring for my attention at the same time - in one big jumbled mess. I wasn't sure if I should focus on the images, the spinning graphics, or the voice over. The final result? They cancel each other out.

If you picked 2 or 3 important things to focus on and let the video breathe once in awhile, I think it would be more effective. And If it's supposed to be a brand creation advertisment, I think a simpler approach would work better.

You probably already know this since you're working on a new video. Good luck.

And of course my big question is, are you using the Optura Xi anywhere in the current or new video?
Old July 3rd, 2005, 12:22 AM   #575
Trustee

Next time you are in the sun filming the water hose, try some high shutter.... very cool effect...

ash =o)
Old July 3rd, 2005, 12:26 AM   #576
Major Player

Great job... there are some beautiful shots in there...
Old July 3rd, 2005, 05:48 AM   #577
RED Code Chef

Alex: I've moved your thread to our showcase forum.

Rob Lohman, visuar@iname.com
DV Info Wrangler & RED Code Chef

Join the DV Challenge | Lady X

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Buy from the best: DVinfo.net sponsors
Old July 4th, 2005, 08:25 AM   #578
New Boot

Everyone has a beginning... yes sa

Before I had the dvx100a, I had a Sony dcr-tv70, I saw it at best buy and I instantly fell love with it. The progressive mode caught my attention. It looks so much like the stuff you see on tv! Little did I know..... I wanted to post some of my one-chip works when I first started out & maybe some of you guys would like to share some of yours. anyway here goes!

these were all done in spring '04 to september'04 when i got my dvx100a

http://www.studiorb.com/musicvids/musicvid2.wmv
http://www.studiorb.com/musicvids/adas.wmv wait 30 seconds!
http://www.studiorb.com/musicvids/forgotten.wmv
http://www.studiorb.com/musicvids/kittensong2.wmv

I was updating my site today and I forgot about these videos. I'm pretty happy with these. well i can safely say that I have progressed alot since my one chip days.

peace!
Old July 4th, 2005, 07:33 PM   #579
Regular Crew

Please critique my new 6-min DVX short (for contest)

...moved here from DVX section...

Let me know what you think! This cut is for a contest and before I get to work on the extended version (where I can add back in all the scenes I had to axe to make the contest's time limit) I wanted to get some of your feedback...

A bit of background: it was an odd and challenging 7 page script that everyone had to use and the time limit was 6 minutes. We had a month to cast, re-write, shoot, edit, and upload. The objects and locations were all left open which gave us a lot of creative room to do our own spin on the story (and we tried to come up with the least obvious and most bizarre story possible).

www.the-lyons-den.com/bogo
go here for the QT version as well as some stills and pics!

Thanks for checking it out!

If you're curious, The Rules:

All participants will make their short films using this script. The script is general enough that you can still turn this into any kind of film you want with a little creativity. The dialogue is scripted, but you can use any actor-young/old/male/female to play any character and you're free to interpret the context and location of each scene.

Use a DVX100 in order to be eligible for a prize. There will be a special exhibition category for non-DVX100 entries.
Films must be six (6) minutes or less
All entries need to include all of the dialogue in the script. It doesn't need to be precisely word for word--but it should be close. The script may be translated into other languages, as long as you include English subtitles. Also, you're free to add scenes or rearrange the scenes in the script. A lot of the meaning, plot, and context will come from how you construct the film, interpret the action, and select the props. You'll also get bonus points (worth 5 extra votes) if you film the dream sequence. Your film can be as simple or as complex as you want to make it.

No copyright violations, you *must* use licensed or royalty-free music
Try to keep film under 30MB
Host your own film if possible
All entries are due by midnight on June 30th, 2005
Old July 7th, 2005, 10:57 PM   #580
Trustee

Anyone????
Old July 8th, 2005, 12:36 AM   #581
New Boot

Motor Ex Video

Hi

Started editing last week after buying my first camera on Thursday. Been a fun experience so far. Went out to a car show on sunday and took some footage.

Here's my result...

Motor Ex 2005
Old July 8th, 2005, 10:04 PM   #582
New Boot

The Vanishing - short film

http://dl3.rapidshare.de/files/29126.../vsevenwmv.wmv

Right there. I shot it on a consumer camcorder from Canon and cut it on Sony Vegas 5.0
Old July 9th, 2005, 12:55 AM   #583
Major Player

I get a 6KB file... it doesn't work.
Old July 9th, 2005, 03:08 AM   #584
New Boot

http://www.undergroundfilm.org/films...cl?wid=1017544

Try here ^

Thanks.
Old July 9th, 2005, 09:01 AM   #585
New Boot

My new music video for Sexy Argentian singer "Coral"

Hello DV Shooters-
Here's my latest video for Coral, a super talented Argentian singer now residing in NYC. I shot the video on a DVX-100 on location in Buenos Aires, her Dad had a street legal dune buggy- We popped the top off, and drove around downtown B.A. for about an hour- I had a radio hanging off my neck supplying play back, while I did the shooting. We shot about 11 takes in total- A couple w/ guitar, and a few w/o. I edited the video in about 1 week on my FCP set-up. I hope yall enjoy it- Feedback is warmly welcomed...

Thanks-
Mike Vargas
Nuyorktricity Films
nytc@mac.com

www.streamload.com/nytc
Closed Thread

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Show Your Work