Show Your Work 2005 - Page 32 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Show Your Work
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Show Your Work
Let's see what you're doing!

Closed Thread

Old May 19th, 2005, 09:10 AM   #466
Major Player

tahnk you, well done! Keep it up!
Old May 19th, 2005, 02:38 PM   #467
Major Player

Short Horror Flick

I finally set up my website with my first ever film.
The trailer still needs some tweaking, but it's nearly there.
You can watch it at:

www.theheadlesspuppy.com

Any comments on the website or the trailer very much apprecciated!
Old May 19th, 2005, 04:26 PM   #468
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Ferdinand
I finally set up my website with my first ever film.
The trailer still needs some tweaking, but it's nearly there.
You can watch it at:

www.theheadlesspuppy.com

Any comments on the website or the trailer very much apprecciated!
I think a comment on the site would be, that it would be a lot more fun if you had some more behind the screen pictures or something. That's maybe personal, but I mostly like to watch those. So if you have them, it would be cool if you put them up.

Which cam did you shoot with?

Comment on the trailer: some very atmospheric cinematography. I think it's only a shame that you only use music and no sound or dialog. Maybe try that once?

I liked the second music part, but the first one ruined a little bit the mood, maybe.

That said: all rest looked fine to me, looks interesting!
Keep up the good work!
Old May 20th, 2005, 08:21 PM   #469

Nixon - Back From the Dead

About 7 Mb, so it takes a little while to dl.

http://www.tidepoolproductions.com/nixon.mov

Used 2 500w work lights to light the green screen, 75w clamp lamp for the keylight, XL2, wide angle lens, medium shotgun mike, Googled WH image, "Hail to the Chief.aiff", FCP 4, PowerMac, Quicktime's 264 codec. Has lighting, sound, writing, visual effects issues but fun nevertheless. Concept to final cut = 2.5 hrs.

Old May 21st, 2005, 01:46 PM   #470
Trustee

Upres tests for your examination

Wasn't sure which forum these would belong in, but this one seemed as good as any. I decided to upres a shot from my old XM1 and compare it to an up converted shot from my pdw510. I was mainly doing this for my own interest because I have been hired to shoot a fire safety information film that will be digitally projected before films at a local cinema, but thought people here might like to see the results.

The first is an XM1 shot from The Silencer originally shot in frame mode and converted to 1080p. I wanted to compare the noise and sharpness with the new camera so I upconverted it to the highest HD resolution to really push it.
http://www.simonwyndham.co.uk/tests/upres_XM1_1080p.png

The second is a shot from the pdw-510p of a similar style of shot to the one from the XM1. This one was shot in 25 frame progressive, again upconverted to 1080p.
http://www.simonwyndham.co.uk/tests/...510p_1080p.png

Lastly two shots from the 510 converted to 1280x720p. This I feel is a sensible resolution to upconvert to, and in actual fact isn't that much larger a frame than anamorphic PAL.
http://www.simonwyndham.co.uk/tests/...w510p_720p.png

Lastly a medium wide shot.
http://www.simonwyndham.co.uk/tests/...mediumwide.png

From these tests I think upconversions to 720p are perfectly viable as long as the camera sharpness is set up decently (ie no edge enhancement) and does not suffer from any noise. Further things can be made more successful by keeping the shots to medium wides, and close ups of various degrees.

If anyone here can output any of these to a HD TV of some kind I would be interested in hearing what they look like.

Incidentally they were straight upconversions using Vegas 5. Further improvements could be made by using both Algoliths edge mosquito noise filter and then upconverting using the Algolith upconversion software.
Old May 22nd, 2005, 12:47 PM   #471
Major Player

Experimental

www.rch-e.com/temp/Neighborhood.mov

Experimental video for contest. I don't know if I should have a voice over with an internal monologue going or not. I think the video kinda works for itself. Let me know what you think.

PV-DV953 16x9
1/60 Normal
Magic Bullet Suite
Old May 22nd, 2005, 01:43 PM   #472
Major Player

very nice...

My first thought would be a dialog of what it's like growing older and into a father... Something like that... Very nice pacing...
Old May 22nd, 2005, 07:47 PM   #473
Major Player

Our 48 hour film festival Entry: awarded in top "Best Of" selection

Hey all:

Well we competed in the Washington DC bracket of the 48 hour film festival about a month ago and ended up getting in the top 14 films or "best of" spot meaning we'll be on the area's DVD but won no other specific awards. We learned a lot about who enters the contest as our preminitions were incorrect:

Our average age was ~23 and we thought there'd be a lot of people like us entering. Among the Best Of screening, we were the only team to have this be their first time competing, we were the youngest team by far and we had the smallest budget. One team even shot their short on a Panasonic SDX, most had professional actors, sets and studios and so on, some were joint production company entries so it was a bit of a let down to see what we were competing against but regardless of the rankings, we were happy with our little film, glad people could see it and excited to be included with such larger budget company.

Production Info:
DVX100a, Audio Technica AT897 Boom Mic
One China Lantern from Target and 200 watt bulb plus dimmer for lighting
FCP HD on Mac MINI with Maxtor 300 gig external HD :: edited from Sunday 1am until Sunday 1pm straight

Our crew was 4 of us from here in Raleigh, NC who have worked on many short films before and then we met 3 friends who signed us up for the contest who live in DC who have never worked on a film before and then a friend of mine lives near by Raleigh who composed the score based on what I told him our feel we were going for was.

Anyways, it's an extremely dry comedy (ala BottleRocket, Rushmore, anything Wes Anderson pretty much). Hope you guys enjoy!

http://www.definingfilms.com/48hourfilm.htm

Last edited by Bryan Roberts; May 23rd, 2005 at 10:15 AM.
Old May 22nd, 2005, 08:28 PM   #474

Not working always

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Agne
About 7 Mb, so it takes a little while to dl.

http://www.tidepoolproductions.com/nixon.mov

Used 2 500w work lights to light the green screen, 75w clamp lamp for the keylight, XL2, wide angle lens, medium shotgun mike, Googled WH image, "Hail to the Chief.aiff", FCP 4, PowerMac, Quicktime's 264 codec. Has lighting, sound, writing, visual effects issues but fun nevertheless. Concept to final cut = 2.5 hrs.
Well, I've had cross-plarform encoding issues. Might be back up in a few days. Encoding Quicktime for the web delivery is tricky stuff.

Old May 23rd, 2005, 12:46 AM   #475

Update

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Agne
Well, I've had cross-plarform encoding issues. Might be back up in a few days. Encoding Quicktime for the web delivery is tricky stuff.
Well, got my bs little satire up. The content is completely absurd, so I consider it apolitical. Used Sorenson Compression, 15 fps.

Old May 23rd, 2005, 12:24 PM   #476
Major Player

38 views, anyone? Love, hate, don't care?
Old May 23rd, 2005, 01:25 PM   #477
Regular Crew

Volleyball video for critique

Shot with a Panasonic DVC30 in 60i, edited in FCX, graphics in PS Elements.
The song is "Any way you want it" by Journey, but the band playing it is "Rise Against"

Sorry about the compression during the intro, I tried several different variations of settings, but nothing cam out very good.

http://homepage.mac.com/bbm20/.Movies/v-ball.mov

Tell me what y'all think?
Old May 23rd, 2005, 02:50 PM   #478
Major Player

I liked the story line, some of the shots were really shaky, i dont know if you were going for that look, but it didnt seem like it was neccessary for the story at least. I thought the acting was very sincere. The writing was also sincere. Good work.
Old May 23rd, 2005, 10:13 PM   #479
Inner Circle

24 with Bobby Lee (MADtv)

Has anyone seen this PDX10 made production and what did they think about it? I laughed my head off! I love it!
Old May 23rd, 2005, 10:23 PM   #480
Regular Crew

Independent 30min Movies

Check out www.anewbreedcinema.com and find a place to showcase your work and generate revenue at the same time.

__________________________________________________________________________________________
www.crcpictures.com

Last edited by Clint Comer; May 24th, 2005 at 12:22 PM.
Closed Thread

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Show Your Work