Show Your Work 2003 - Page 3 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Show Your Work
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Show Your Work
Let's see what you're doing!

Closed Thread

Old January 10th, 2003, 08:43 PM   #31
Regular Crew

90-Minute Extreme Sports Movie

Just thought I'd let everyone know that I just finished cutting a 90-minute DV extreme sports movie that will be shown in theaters across Germany and Austria (and hopefully France and Italy) using CineStream3.1.

I worked on a Mac G4 running OS9.2 and had to re-build the entire project in Austria after starting it in France. I had no major problems to speak of with the CS3.1.

All interested parties can catch the trailer at: http://advaloreminternational.com (Clicking on the trailer will take you to the movie's official website.)

http://advaloreminternational.com
Old January 10th, 2003, 09:12 PM   #32
Regular Crew

France? Germany? Austria?

Just thought I'd let everyone know that I just finished cutting a 90-minute DV extreme sports movie that will be shown in theaters across Germany and Austria (and hopefully France and Italy) using CineStream3.1.

All interested parties can catch the trailer at: http://advaloreminternational.com (Clicking on the trailer will take you to the movie's official website.)

My first DV short film is currently in post. It was shot with an XL1 using Cooke optics and the Mini35. A frame grab can be seen at: http://thechineseshoes.com (Sorry, the website's still slowly taking shape.)

I would love to network with people in Paris. I'm looking for a producer, above all. I've learned that I really prefer writing and directing.

Old January 10th, 2003, 11:50 PM   #33
Major Player

Love that stuff

Where was Warren Miller's locations in your film?
Old January 11th, 2003, 06:32 AM   #34
Regular Crew

Warren Miller

Do you mean where WM filmed?

In my movie, WM contributed with Alaska, Colorado, Tirol, and assorted other locations that can be seen in from the contributing filmmakers.

Old January 11th, 2003, 07:57 AM   #35
Major Player

Well, I don't think there are too much to understand..

The sport they are making fun of are "roof jumping" I think..
One uses roofs and other things to jump from.

It would be a great "quit smoking" ad too..

/Andreas
Old January 14th, 2003, 10:24 PM   #36
obljsurf

first web page and video

Take a look give me some pointers. Ihave been shooting and editing about 3 years. ( hobby) Movie is in Quick time set up for cable not 56K. That's me on the green board.
http://members.cox.net/jaywooten

Old January 14th, 2003, 10:37 PM   #37
Wrangler

Hey!
I like the music. Sublime is a great surf/skate band.

I'd get rid of the wipes you use. They are outdated.
I'd also get a screw on telephoto extender to get closer to the surfing action.
Also what kind of tripod are you using? Some of the shots were a little shaky.

Keep on shooting!
Old January 14th, 2003, 10:45 PM   #38
Wrangler

Congratulations on your web-video debut. Was good to see some footage of that California surf. Makes me want to get back out there.

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | The best in the business: DVinfo.net sponsors
Old January 15th, 2003, 12:33 AM   #39
Retired DV Info Net Almunus

Good for you, Jay! Nice debut.

Transitions between shots/scenes for event work like this can be awkward. As Dylan noted, and despite the remarkable fact that video editing software developers seem hell-bent to offer dozens of transitional effects, you'd do well to eliminate the transition effects you're using. The exception would be if you were trying to build a tongue-in-cheek parody of some old 60's/70's surfing features...for which these transitions would be spot-on!

So should you just use quick-cuts between shots? Well, maybe for some shots that are distinct enough to avoid an unintentional "jump-cut" effect. But a good alternative is to use very short (1-3 sec) "cut-aways" to people watching the surfers. (Or people who appear to be watching them.) Next to music, nothing conveys an emotional impression better than a human face. People laughing a a wipe-out. ('Scuse my lingo if it, too, is a bit dated. I'm a snow-bird <g>.) People with a look of admiration/amazement at a good run. Etc. These make great tweener transitions. You just have to make a point to shoot them during the event -or- during another event that might invoke similar reactions.

Good luck to ya and keep at it! Most importantly, have fun! It's great for the heart and soul.

Hey, you don't have enough stuff!
Buy with confidence from our sponsors. Hand-picked as the best in the business...Really!

See some of my work one frame at a time: www.KenTanaka.com
Old January 15th, 2003, 12:37 AM   #40
Major Player

yes, my bad on the english

I was wondering if he shot footage for your film in Alaska......
I'm assuming Valdez, Alaska?

BTW, if the "Tirol" you speak of is in the north part of Austria.... it is by far in the top 5 of my favorite places in the world. Such a beautiful place......

ahhh the memories of Austria.......
Years ago (many) we used to take US dollars, change them into german marks, then drive into Austria and exchange German marks for Austrian shilling......through the whole exchange process we used to buy gas for the return trip for ~0.10/gallon (of course you buy in liters in EU nations).......ahhh the memories
Old January 15th, 2003, 06:00 AM   #41
Regular Crew

I don't think WM actually shoots the footage himself anymore. He hires crews to do it. Actually it was Cordova, Alaska. and there were only girls skiing.

His sequence in Tirol was shot in St. Anton. (Tirol is more western Austria than north;-)) Tirol is a beautiful place.

I have fond memories of Francs, Marks and Shilling. It was kind of romantic. Now everyone uses Euros. Not as romantic, but very practical.

Old January 15th, 2003, 11:09 AM   #42

I'm coming into this thread very late, but want to point out this recent news item thread:

http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthrea...&threadid=5731

Buy with confidence from our sponsors. Hand-picked as the best in the business...Really!

Old January 20th, 2003, 01:11 PM   #43

Sundance Film Festival (Jan 2003)

An interesting article in the Chicago Tribune summarizing last week's Sundance Festival.

My favorite quote:
Quote:
From the 10-day festival's opening days, you can't escape the feeling that:
1. There sure are a lot of miserable teenagers out there.
2. There sure are a lot of miserable parents of miserable teenagers out there.

Old January 27th, 2003, 11:23 AM   #44
Regular Crew

My first miniDV short film --- "Unemployed, in Greenland!"

Hey everyone. I have just completed my first cheezy miniDV short film. My friends and I decided to make a movie after seeing "American Movie" and reading Bruce Campbell's auto-biography. We decided to make a series of crazy short films, in order to learn more about making movies (learn from our mistakes, etc.), so that when we film a more serious movie, it won't be entirely unwatchable.

It is called "Unemployed, in Greenland!" Here's the plot: Matt is a slacker who loses his job. While home alone looking for a new job, he learns his roommates are up to something. He calls his friend to help him figure it out, and they uncover a bizarre secret.

This movie is 20 minutes long. I would guestimate it is around PG-13 (some drunken-ness and mild language depicted).

It was shot using a Sony TRV-900 and was mostly edited using Sonic Foundry Video Factory; and then later using SF Vegas Video (after I upgraded). I'm making DVDs with the myDVD software that is bundled with the Sony DRU-500A DVD burner. It would be nice to find some authoring software around a few hundred bucks that enabled multiple audio tracks, better button creation, etc., but haven't found it yet.

Some of what I learned: 1) How easy it is to make continuity errors. Not just with props, but with the positions/movements of the actors. 2) How some takes you think are the good takes actually are not the best take in the context of the enclosing scenes. 3) We expected lighting would be difficult. Lighting is more difficult than we even expected. 4) When you are the 'director', people expect you to make decisions ;) 5) The story is more important than getting a good shot of that cool looking red velvet couch. 6) DVD authoring and MPEG-2 encoding is more art than science ;) 7) Capturing good audio is also more difficult than we expected, even when we expected it to be difficult. I was not impressed with the shotgun mic I used (not very good HF response), and often did not have someone to aim it properly for every take. The built in mic on the TRV900 is great for close-ups, but on occasion I used it in manual gain mode, which resulted in some distorted audio in some scenes.

If anyone here has Windows Media Player, they can check out a 74 MB version of the full movie at my website. I guess I need the full version of Quicktime for Windows to encode a Quicktime movie? I might check into that, it seems Quicktime is a good format for online use. I also rendered an MPEG-1, but it is 200 MB (~10 MB a minute), no matter what parameter settings I use to encode. In any case, any and all feedback is appreciated!

www.brucix.com/dvd02.html

Cheers
[bac]
Old January 28th, 2003, 08:32 PM   #45
Wrangler

Hey, I watched the trailer for your extreme sports movie. Looks great! I'd go see it.
As a snowboarder, windsurfer, ex-surfer, and sometime mountain-biker, I have to give you crap on one thing... In most of those shots of people going big, you don't show any of them sticking the landings!!! That's the best part!!
Anyway, looks great!
Closed Thread

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Show Your Work