Show Your Work 2003 - Page 11 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Show Your Work

Show Your Work
Let's see what you're doing!

Closed Thread

Old April 4th, 2003, 10:42 AM   #151
Wrangler

I got this error:
"Windows Media Player cannot find the file. The server name, shared directory name, or file name may be incorrect."
Old April 4th, 2003, 10:53 AM   #152
Regular Crew

Viewing Issues / Error Messages

I know that the links work because I have viewed through them. I think any viewing issues are going to be due to regional network/system settings such as firewalls/permissions. I just wish that there could be one good standard because this is frustrating! If you have any extra time, go to my site and see if any of the other files work. They're all on the same server. Can someone let me know if they are able to view the video. Thanks for info.
Old April 4th, 2003, 12:44 PM   #153
Regular Crew

She's got her work cut out for her if she wants to be the next brittany spears...

Like the cam work

Old April 4th, 2003, 03:50 PM   #154
Major Player

re: Dylan

Thanks for checkin it out.

I think the streaming video looses some of the audio quality. The audio in the car was a royal pain in the A$$ though. We screened it at the Tribeca Film center in NYC and the audio sounded fine.

as far as gear...
OK, you got me...it all wasn't all shot on DV. My xl-1 isn't heavy enough to use it on the steadi-cam and jib-arm we used. SO...don't throw me off the board, so most of it was shot on betaSp. But the camera we had has digital chips so it's still DV right????? There was a few shots that came out of my XL-1. We wanted to do it in 16x9 so that's another reason why we used betacam, to get a tru 16X9. We used an Ikagami camera with a stocking over the lense to give it the softer film look.

we did however edit the entire thing on Avid XDV and it was color corrected and mastered onto digi-beta, so I still consider it a DV movie. but some hardcore DV-ites will disagree.

thanks again for checkin it out.

please pass the link around.

MIKE
www.GetawayTheMovie.com
Old April 4th, 2003, 04:49 PM   #155
Wrangler

Oh you are SO going to get banned from the forum now... ;)
j/k

Anyway, I bet everyone here is now dying to know...
What parts were shot on the XL1 and what was shot on the Ikagami?
Old April 5th, 2003, 12:41 AM   #156
Retired DV Info Net Almunus

Mike,

Finally saw it...nice job! Yeah...I couldn't get any of the other players to work for some reason. They worked on other films, but not yours. Strange. QT kept showing a broken icon for some reason. Windows Media just wouldn't do anything. Anyway, I downloaded RealPlayer again to see your film and it was worth it. Really nice work.

The comments above cover my thoughts...only one extra thing I'd add. The car conversation didn't seem quite natural since I couldn't hear the "road" sounds. A little ambient noise would've helped. Nice makeup on the lunatic, by the way.
Old April 5th, 2003, 12:39 PM   #157
Regular Crew

Her goal

I don't think that emulating Britney is her goal. She has been dancing since she was 5. I don't know if she's interested in singing or not either. I approached her instructor about producing a demo for me to have to show what I can do production wise and she said she had a student that not only could dance well but looked like Britney. What a combination. I lucked out on this one. She is definitely on her way though. She's performing in some larger programs in Atlanta.
Old April 6th, 2003, 05:38 PM   #158
Major Player

re: dylan

dylan...

I'm not telling!!!!
Old April 6th, 2003, 05:43 PM   #159
Major Player

Nature's Candy

Adapted from a story written by my friend Tyler Esplen, Nature's Candy is really the Seinfeld of apple stories; it doesn't pretend to make very much sense, but could -- and did -- happen in real life. We tried to give it an eerie 'Apocalypse Now' feel with the lighting/music.

It's about 5 minutes long and in Quicktime.

http://www.alextaylor.org/movies/naturescandy/

Comments are appreciated!
Old April 9th, 2003, 09:21 AM   #160
RED Code Chef

It was an interesting piece... I liked the music and some of the
angles etc. Did you do any color correction afterwarts (besides
the face changing color)?

Rob Lohman, visuar@iname.com
DV Info Wrangler & RED Code Chef

Join the DV Challenge | Lady X

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Buy from the best: DVinfo.net sponsors
Old April 9th, 2003, 05:06 PM   #161
Capt. Quirk

I agree with Rob- some of those shots were framed very well. Wierd story concept, but a cute piece overall. Nicely done.
Old April 9th, 2003, 11:01 PM   #162
Wrangler

Good stuff!
Now I'm hungry for an apple!
Old April 9th, 2003, 11:12 PM   #163
Major Player

Thanks for the comments! :)

<<<-- Originally posted by Rob Lohman : It was an interesting piece... I liked the music and some of the
angles etc. Did you do any color correction afterwarts (besides
the face changing color)? -->>>

Would you believe me if I said his face actually does that? ..... probably not ;)

As for colour correction, we used FilmFX to get that look. I'm really pleased with how it looks, especially in the last dialogue scene in the living room; I think the muted colours worked really well.
Old April 9th, 2003, 11:22 PM   #164
Wrangler

Alex, what camera did you shoot it on?
Old April 10th, 2003, 02:15 AM   #165
Major Player

That was a real hoot to watch, i enjoyed the subtle difference to the norm it represented.

I have a few friendly critiques i think may help you.

* this is a short film, hence for a piece like this i think some tighter editing needs to be had. You have your opening, well just after, there is the car, then the car again into the drive way, then walking from the drive way, then opening the door. In reality not everything needs to be there, think about popular movies, and professional productions, the great thing about a movie is that it can be said quickly visually. Think about the car driving, 2 seconds or so, then starts to pull into driveway, then door opening and character walking in, that is all that needs to be there to convey that point. And could be done in around 5 seconds.

* start to think about keeping a handle on your highlights. Now i have not seen this uncompressed, but the clipped out overexposed sky outside and from the windows inside screams video, look at your colour curves, composing with or around the over exposure or recomposing those shots to avoid all together.

I really think it has potentional, and is very good as is, but think about it as a visual medium, not a book, you don't need to show an audience as much, remember this is a short not a feature and audiences are much smarter than you think.

zac
Closed Thread

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Show Your Work