Show Your Work 2003 - Page 14 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Show Your Work
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Show Your Work
Let's see what you're doing!

Closed Thread

Old May 3rd, 2003, 03:55 AM   #196
RED Code Chef

I can imagine you can always export your movie uncompressed
as an AVI (or any other AVI codec that suits your needs) and
load that up into AE, it might even understand Vegas' DV Codec.
Try it out!

Rob Lohman, visuar@iname.com
DV Info Wrangler & RED Code Chef

Join the DV Challenge | Lady X

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Buy from the best: DVinfo.net sponsors
Old May 3rd, 2003, 03:58 AM   #197
RED Code Chef

Bob, I've put a reply to this in the other thread

Old May 3rd, 2003, 07:44 AM   #198
Major Player

Yea, saw that, I did this one before I saw the reply. Plus, having a seperate topic helps others find it easier.

Yea, I just got Adobe 5.5 and it seems to work with avi's so I guess it will work. Seems that will simply eat up HD space, which I need more of. 80 gigs don't do it no more. I'm going to be getting a 160 or 200 drive soon.
Old May 7th, 2003, 03:53 AM   #199
Regular Crew

The Uninvited

I thought I'd post a couple links to trailers for a short I worked on to see what you guys think. I would like to note that I can't take credit for much of any of this, I was little more than a general crew member, though my camera (XL1 - stock 16x lens) was used for some of the shoots. I think Greg, the director has done amazing things with this and I think most of you are likely to agree. For those of you who are curious, editing was done in FCP 2 and 3, also not by me.

http://www.theuninvited.net/Uninvite...elentless.html
http://www.theuninvited.net/Uninvite...journal_I.html

(Quicktime req.)

-Shawn
Old May 7th, 2003, 06:40 AM   #200
RED Code Chef

Looks very nice indeed. Especially the Relentless trailers has
a real professional trailer feel to it. The other one was okay too,
but a bit slow for my taste.

Old May 7th, 2003, 07:02 AM   #201
Retired DV Info Net Almunus

I agree with Rob, Shawn. The Relentless trailer grabbed me more than the Journals trailer. Nice work. What did you do exactly on the film?

There are some nice shots...nice lighting, and some good effects.

You know the one thing I don't like about a lot of indie productions is when someones suburbia house is used for the location when it doesn't fit the theme of the movie. This type of story needs a scary old house or building. Somehow, seeing the evil woman framed by a modern bare spackled wall and vertical blinds and shag carpeting kind of takes the oomph out of it.

But that's just me...and believe me...I know how tough it is to get good locations.
Old May 7th, 2003, 08:07 AM   #202
Regular Crew

I only had the time to watch the Relentless trailer, and I have to say that it looks good; very good job on visual fx and sound design, and pretty good lighting too. I didn't mind the location as John pointed out. Not all scary stories happen in scary old houses.

Good work! I'll check out the other one some other time and let you know what I think.

Old May 7th, 2003, 10:58 AM   #203
Regular Crew

New DV feature released...

Hey Folks,

I just wanted to drop a line and shamelessly promote our new DVD shot entirely on a Canon XL1s and edited at home.

We are very proud of the quality we achieved. It rivals anything else out there shot in this great format. If you are interested, you can buy it at:

http://www.customflix.com/Store/ShowTtl.jsp?id=204754

If you want to check out the Diary I kept as the DP on the production, you can go to my site at:

http://www.digitalvideo.cc

Or you can view the trailer and other goodies at Alex's site:

http://www.galaxaco.com/hellholehigh/index.html

We hope you enjoy.

-Cody
Old May 7th, 2003, 11:15 AM   #204
Wrangler

I thought the lighting was great! I think I've seen a movie that was shot in the 80's that was the same story though... I can't remember what it was called.

I'm curious as to the background of the D.O.P.?

I was also impressed by the editting of both trailers.

-Nori
Old May 7th, 2003, 11:36 AM   #205
Major Player

Kudos to the team...

I enjoyed the trailer, particularly the titles/effects editing. Also, the undead makeup/heroin look was nicely executed. (TRAILER was viewed only)

It looks like the work had some great production values.
Old May 7th, 2003, 03:00 PM   #206
Regular Crew

To Answer John's question, I supplied my camera and microphone and acted as boom operator, grip, lighting assistant, basically anything where a body was needed to do something, I was there. I had just recently gotten my camera at this point, and was getting involved in this project as a way of sort of cutting my teeth.

As for the lighting, the DP was Greg, The Director. I'm not sure what his bg is as far as film school or anything, but he's only like 25 and this is really the first thing he's done. Much of the lighting was done with those lights that look like an aluminum bowl with a lightbulb in the middle (with the help of some gels) and with candles. On of which I had to hold just out of frame for 15 minutes, covering my hand in hot wax. But the end result was worth it.

-Shawn
Old May 8th, 2003, 06:01 AM   #207
Regular Crew

Using trademarked product names in DV Film....

Hi,

Planning to write a screenplay to be shot on my DVX100 later this summer, and wanted to know what the rules are about using trademarked names in dialogue and subject in a narrative. For example the topic I'm writing about is a trademarked prescription drug that is being abused that came to market in 1995. It has a generic name, but it's my understanding that the two are not one and the same, and there is a reason that abusers are looking for the version with the trademarked name. My question is, do I need to change the name if I cannot get permission from the drug company, which I may not be able to, as it portrays the drug in a not so positive light?

Thanks
Old May 8th, 2003, 06:18 AM   #208
Regular Crew

It sounds like you have answered your own question, but yeah, you have to clear the trademarked name if you are going to use it, their lawyers are probably not that nice, especially if you are going to use it in a negative way.
Old May 8th, 2003, 07:56 AM   #209
Inner Circle

Todd,

Before you put pen to paper, (or digit to keyboard) consult an attorney. Find out your "exposure' and decide if you can live with it. That way, you won't invest energy into a project that can't be produced.

Don't screw around with your liability.

Richard
Old May 8th, 2003, 12:57 PM   #210
Regular Crew

Good, now make it better

There is a great book "The 5 Cs of Cinematography" Buy it, read it, read it again. It is a great book.

As for the clip, I watched it with the sound off. On the tech side it was great. You could consider tightning up the frame and don't be afraid of a close up. That will help get rid of the "Newscaster" effect.

Comedy or Drama, focus the attention of the auidence.

Looks good and good luck

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Show Your Work